[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Switching Majors in College
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: randy-marsh.jpg (73 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
randy-marsh.jpg
73 KB, 450x450
Hey /adv/ mathmajor fag here.

This is my second semester in mathematics, at an engineering school, and I'm honestly pretty disappointed with what I do. I don't really see myself working where I want 5 years from now, and I don't really see myself at all 10 years from now. I came into college loving mathematics, but started to question the point in a lot of it, pretty much lost the "beauty" that I felt for it.

Thought about switching to CS, but also can't see myself just being a software engineer for the rest of my life. Cybersecurity seems pretty nice, but I have a feeling I'll get stuck doing some monotonous shit, and dealing with tons of retards.

I've been thinking about switching into Geology and Geophysics, but I'm concerned about finding a job. I've read that most are in Texas, which is fine because I was planning on moving to Arizona or Texas when I finish school. Geology, field geology in particular, seems like it will be my gig, because I've been wanting to do something exciting. Also getting paid to innawoods would be pretty tits.

Any other Geo bros willing to give some advice? How was finding a job?
>>
>>16901759
>have a feeling I'll get stuck doing some monotonous shit

Welcome to the 21st Century
>>
I'm a math major about to finish my degree in a good school. I came in loving math. Now I'm ehh. Pure math is great, but applied math is boring af, but pure doesn't pay. You can switch in geophysics easy enough from math, if you wanted to stay in math, esp if you take all the main physics classes (I met a PhD guy who did that at a networking event).
>>
>>16902115
>>16902115
Just want to know what the job sector is right now, mostly for field geology.

I looked at Linkedin and indeed, but just wanted some input from guys who're in the field right now.
>>
>>16901759
I went from engineering and I didn't like it or anyone I worked with. I switched to software engineering and programming was fun but I still didn't like the people I was with or the stories of the cubicle farms I was destined to. Now I switched to being a film major now. I'm specializing in screenwriting. Fuck being a cubicle monkey. I'm doing open mic stand up and my room mate is in it too. We're moving to LA after graduation and some shorts. I plan on making it in stand up and becoming a comedy writer. At least I'll try to do something that is interesting insted of getting fat at a cubicle. Fuck the safe plan.

And fuck most stem students. The only ones who are cool are usually the chemistry and physics majors. Chem majors all smoke and don't give a fuck because they know they'll probably get cancer from spilling cobalt on themselves or something.
>>
>>16902399
Yeah bro fuck the system!

5 years later :

America needs Bernie!
>>
>>16901759
Switch. Math majors have a fucking hard time getting jobs unless you want to pursue a PhD and go into academia. If you like geo then I think that would be a good fit since you don't mind the move for jobs and like outdoors. And avoid CS at all costs. Minor maybe, but fuck a major.

source: my uncle is a a math professor and the rest of my family are engineers. I'm a self-hating CS major.
>>
>>16902404
In your dreams, nerd

You do realize that his commie tax plan is detrimental to the entertainment industry? I thought you dorks were supposed to be smart.
>>
>>16902419
Please respond in 5 years
>>
>>16902425
In five years I'll have just moved there. Give it more time.

Besides, I'm charismatic, tall, and good looking. I can always sell cars ;^)
>>
>>16902428
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAbCgpJy6c

Make sure to take the whole tour ;)

Really miss the mexican food desu, best taquitos I ever had
place also had a Marvel vs Capcom 2 machine in the back was perfect
>>
>>16902445
I'm from AZ and have 7 guns. Be an insecure nerd elsewhere.
>>
File: 1456372935541.gif (1 MB, 300x159) Image search: [Google]
1456372935541.gif
1 MB, 300x159
>>16902463
None of which are going to be legal in LA

kek
>>
>>16901759
More than anything in the world I wish geophysics/geology interested me, the job opportunities are endless and the pay is awesome.
>>
>>16902464
I can get a cc there.

Believe me, I wish I didn't have to live in that shithole, but at least it's better than New York.
>>
I'm guessing you want geo physics because you want some of that petroleum money. The pay is great, but many (most?) of the jobs will have you live in a man-ville 3-6 months at a time. sounds pretty fucking boring. you can't work in the field of mathematics with only a bachelor's, but most jobs out there would prefer a math major to an [liberal arts or chemistry or biology] major, unless there was some specific talent required (i.e. Barista or lab tech)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.