[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this "normal?" Should I be worried?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: balthusgallery-006.jpg (252 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
balthusgallery-006.jpg
252 KB, 1024x819
So, I have contended that this was a terrible idea again and again, but my mother and I seem to come at arms and she ends the conversation with, "I know better." So, I don't actually learn anything and I just feel irritated.

The argument is about FAFSA. I live in a 3 person household, including myself, my father and mother. The rent here is $5k a month (it's a home). That is $60k a year. We make well over that. So, my mother is saying that I should only input her data (she made $5k last year) when the form asks for both my mother's and my father's information. I tell her this. She tells me it doesn't matter. We go back and forth and finally she says, "Well, I can use your sisters taxes." My sister hasn't lived with us in 6 years, and has her own apartment in her own name. I tell her that's fraudulent. And then conversation ends with, "I know better."

Can anyone give me some input on this? I really don't want to do it. Am I wrong, in reality? I don't mind being wrong but it really seems wrong. She's pushing me to input this data and I'm the one who is going to take the consequences for it, if it's inappropriate.
>>
>>16900925
Your mother is wildly stupid. If you're under 25, the government can and will check both of your parents' tax forms before issuing FAFSA aid. Will you get in legal trouble? Possibly. Even if you don't, you won't get the aid. That's all this boils down to.
>>
>>16900925

Your mom is a dumb bitch, and you're just starting to fully understand it
>>
>>16900929
Ah, I see. I don't want to risk the legal trouble, so I guess it'll be a huge argument... I am dreading it. Thanks.
>>
>>16900981
Take your mom to your local community college's financial aid office and have a chat with one of their representatives. Watch her fail to try to explain her plan. She'll be put in her place pretty quick.
>>
>>16901010
Nah. She's already expressed, "of course you're not going to find information because no one wants you to know about it! it's a secret. this is what the rich people do." (never mind the fact that rich people can... pay for college)

She knows it's not legal, she just thinks it's 'working the system' and that she is oh so clever.

I'm venting :'D
>>
>>16900925
You can't do that unless your parents are divorced
>>
>>16901021
All good bro. I've known some really fucking stupid and thickheaded people in my life who sound like your mom. Just keep your nose clean and do what's right. It's your future at stake.
>>
>>16900925

>$5k a month

Where the fuck do you live op, Commiefornia?

But anyways, lying to the government is retarded and you shouldn't do it.
>>
>>16901024
And even then it's fucked.

one of my good friend's parents are divorced.
Her father makes six figures and is living in a condo in Florida while her mother (who was a stay at home mom) is not necessarily struggling but certainly a step down from where she previously was.

Her father could easily pay for her tuition/rent (and he does) but she files solely under her mother's name so she receives the Pell Grant.

I worked to pay for shitty community college my first two years with zero help from my parents. They just couldn't help me. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and the treatment as well as the time away from work left us with enormous debt.

I have received no help from the government other than the HOPE scholarship we have here in Georgia that you automatically receive if your GPA is higher than a 3.0.

It's annoying but that's just the way the world operates.
>>
She doesn't know better, she wan't the IRS to take her shopping money away and possibly put her in jail.
Lying to the government is a serious crime, especially about money.
>>
>>16901051
California, ha.

>>16901026
Thanks for the sound advice. I need more of that, desu.

>>16901086
That just seems like a huge overlook on the governments part. But, that happens. I'm sorry about your mom, btw. I hope she's doing well.
>>
>>16901010
>>16900929
This is actually really good advice. Nice work /adv/ice!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.