[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programs/Languages to make myself marketable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.gif (2 MB, 380x365) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 380x365
I'll be graduating with a math degree soon and I've come to learn that computer knowledge makes one highly marketable. I plan on learning Matlab over the next few months. Any tips or other programs I should learn?

Pic unrelated
>>
I want to touch that butt
>>
Stupid fucking fake ass gif, fuck that fake shit.
>>
I'm also interested in this. Also, how much math knowledge I need in order to learn something like jawa or C++?
Where should I start if I had no interactions with programming thus far? Just start learning a programming language?
>>
File: 1456087915244.jpg (93 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456087915244.jpg
93 KB, 1080x1080
>>16900469
JMP
>>
>>16900476
what exactly do you want to do / learn ?
different programming languages have different purposes.
>>
>>16900490
was directed at >>16900444 too
>>
>>16900490
To be honest I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm thinking about software development so I guess C++ is a good starting point.
>>
>>16900476
how much math do you need? basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, algebra. I started with zero experience and dove into C++, which leave much more room for programmer error than java does
>>
>>16900476
codeacademy.com

All you need to know really is basic algebra and the concepts of functions
>>
>>16900444
> Matlab

Godspeed OP. Least favorite language/framework to work with, next to LabView.
>>
>>16900516
>>16900515
thank
>>
>>16900444
c++
python
>>
>>16900510
what kind of software development ?
your best bet would be java if you just want to land a developer job. writing _good_ c++ applications requires you to have at least an understanding of how memory management works in computers
>>
gotta add to >>16900552
c++ is probably the worst first language you could choose to learn (ignoring visual basic ofc)
>>
>>16900490
OP here. Since I have a math degree I'm emphasizing data analysis. I'm great at excel and I've dabbled in various regression analaysis programs. From looking at job offerings I see Matlab is the most common, but I'm unsure if I should jump right into that. Also curious as to any languages that would be useful either for data analysis or in general.

If any of this is vague it's because my only experience with coding was from an introductory cs class thst was only 5 weeks long and was basic C+ (really basic)
>>
>>16900733
*C++ sorry.
>>16900544
I've heard about Python, but I don't know anyone that's ever used it. How is it?
>>
>>16900733
i guess you already know R ?
haskell could probably be interesting for you, not really used for general development, but theres a shitload of interesting stuff done in it.

>>16900745
python is only useful for quick and dirty scripting stuff, but not software development. you use it for quick PoC code or if you need shit just done, but never use it again.
>>
>>16900444
How are you graduating with a math degree and don't know MATLAB, Python or Java yet? Also C++ is very useful.
>>
File: The Dream.jpg (799 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
The Dream.jpg
799 KB, 1680x1050
>>16900771
I don't know R. In the class that used regression I thought we'd go over it and the professor just spoonfed us, like "Here guys just copy paste this into the program!"

It seems like the general consensus is Matlab, C++.

Jave seems interesting from a more recreational standpoint. So i guess zi should add that to the list?

>>16901059
I had the basics of C++ but forgot alot since i didn't use it after that class.

Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it.
>>
>>16900573
I learned c++ as my first language and I'm an awesome developer. Always blew through the assignments with ease while everyone else struggled with basic concepts. And my major wasn't even cs lmao.
>>
>>16901256
then tell me 1 reason why c++ would be a great first programming language to learn.

it fucked up everything that was nice in c
its "standard librarys" are just fucked up
it tries to support almost every paradigm but fails at each except imperative/structured

on my list c++ is the only language thats even worse than java.
>>
>>16901271
How did C++ fuck up C when it doesn't force you to use any C++ features?
>>
>>16900444
holy goddamn fuck, that sweet bubble butt. source? need to meet her godaaaaamn

if you like any body type that isn't that, you're a total faggot
>>
SAS and/or SPSS would be really good for data analysis
>>
>>16901890
if you are writing pure c code and just compile it with c++ you aren't writing c++ code.
and if you are writing mostly c code glued together with c++ it's not c++ code either, mr "awesome developer". try writing c++ code according to the "standard" and you'll see what i mean.

>>16901945
i'd still say haskell would be the bet if he actually wants to code, look up all those finencial analysis and prediction things in haskell that came up in the last years, there's really awesome stuff in there
it's just not really suited for general development.
>>
>>16901106
For data analysis R is king, some people prefer SAS. Python is a general purpose language that would also work and is very popular + relatively easy to learn.

Haskell (more pure) and Ocaml (more practical) are both great FP languages that will really change how you program and approach problems, in a good way; however there are very few places that use these (although they tend to be the kind that likes people who know math)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.