[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently started dating a girl, and in 6 months she is going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1451112940484.png (206 KB, 570x359) Image search: [Google]
1451112940484.png
206 KB, 570x359
I recently started dating a girl, and in 6 months she is going away in an erasmus semester to another country for 5 months. Do long distance relationships work? I know I´m thinking way too much in advance, but I´ve never been in this type of situation, and I don´t know what is my best course of action when that time comes. I know myself and I know that I will be worried sick most days if we stay together, wondering what she might be doing, but on the other hand I don´t really want a free pass for both during those months. Maybe it´s better to just breakup ? Could I be overreacting?

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of situation?
>>
>>16897127
First off, no long distance does not work.

Its kind of like having an imaginary friend who only exists in your phone to stunt your maturity.

Its so tempting, though, to fall for it. To commit to someone who JUST MIGHT not commit to you.

I've been there man. And let me tell you, this girl isn't going on her international adventure with the intention of staying loyal to anyone. She wants to go have fun.
>>
>>16897141
That sucks to head. Can you share a bit of your tale man?
>>
>>16897141
To caveat on this, you have 6 full months to flesh out a relationship. In that amount of time you can determine whether or not she's someone you want to stick with and take that chance with.
>>
>>16897148
Well, basically I'm a sucker. I moved out of state across this country bringing the end to a relationship both parties actually felt great about.

Had a rough year, found myself talking to and being affectionate with this same girl ( mistake number 1).

She wants me to fly to where she goes to school (from Austin, TX to Pittsburgh, PA, if it matters to you), and I book the flight.

2 days before I leave she tells me something happened with some other guy at her college and that I shouldn't come because it wouldn't be fair to me, her, or the guy.

So I got burned and spent way too much money for pussy that I didn't get.

Your case might not be this drastic but look, girls who long distance keep you there as a "just in case".
>>
File: 1451126399940.jpg (160 KB, 638x754) Image search: [Google]
1451126399940.jpg
160 KB, 638x754
>>16897168
>girls who long distance keep you there as a "just in case"

Isn´t that a bit of a cynical view?
>>
I've had three long distance relationships that I would consider successful. They lasted about as long as any other relationship I've had, but I all the online flirting and anticipation of the next visit made them really fun. Sure you don't get to see the other person as much, but the time you do spend together is really intense. If this sounds like something you might enjoy, why not give it a try?
>>
>>16897292
How long were you and your partners separated?
>>
>>16897127
I'm currently going through the very same thing right now. Put it bluntly, it more than likely will not workout. Both of you will have to really make an effort on communicating on a regular basis.

My recent-ex is doing an erasmus semster and I had to break things off from lack of communication. Anyways she isnt doing it just for the experience, she wants to have fun and she may not even have time for you.
Dont make an effort if they're not willing to make an effort for you, I learned the hard way OP
>>
>>16897141
>it didn't work for me therefore it doesn't work at all
>>
>>16897127
5 months is nothing in the long run. Of course it can work.
>>
>>16897127
I've done long distance with my girl with weekly or biweekly visits. Its difficult but here's the deal. She has to want your emotional attention on an obsession level. If she doesn't want to have your babies by this point (that level of love) it isn't gonna work out.

5 months away/6 months together?
I'm sorry but the odds don't look friendly.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.