[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do you get a job? In college, I was a working student.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1456029711546.png (1 MB, 1600x1228) Image search: [Google]
1456029711546.png
1 MB, 1600x1228
How the fuck do you get a job?

In college, I was a working student. I worked in my campus' safety/security area for two and a half years and started doing menial shit like patrolling the campus. They promoted me pretty quickly to doing employee evaluations and managing the call center and then again to doing HR stuff like interviewing, scheduling, on-boarding and maintaining records, etc. I don't really want to work in security so I've been applying to HR and Administrative roles without luck. I graduated in Aug 2015 and have been looking since without luck.

Some recruiters have contacted me recently but they just wanted me in their systems. There was one person who reached out to me for an internal role but after I called her back she acted as if she hadn't heard of me, so that was a wash. I've been going to temp agencies for the last four months and none of them have gotten me any roles.

My roommate did the same thing I did, except he stayed on campus until December 2015. He's been doing the same stuff I mentioned except for an additional 4 months and apparently he found a position as a recruiter or some shit. He hasn't started yet afaik. Naturally I'm fucking jealous since we both have similar grades and the same minor.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by answering the questions about my race? I'm black so I figured if people wanted a diversity hire I'd be a good pick, but it could be working against me and I wouldn't know.
>>
yikes, what major?
>>
Did you quit your job without having one lined up?
>>
>>16896618
I didn't quit because I wanted to. I had to leave because you can only work that job if you're a student and living on campus.

>>16896616
That's probably where I fucked up. I studied Linguistics expecting to go into forensics but i can't afford Grad School right now. I admit it's not an especially in demand BA unless I wanted to teach or to go into Speech pathology but it's the only thing that interested me
>>
have you tried looking for a city office job OP? like working at the library is a good way of getting your foot in the door because normally HR or admin positions open up first to city employees. i never did the the whole asking a recruiter to find me a job thing, i just kept on reapplying to jobs and kept on searching.
>>
Here you go:

1) Pick a career or job that you want to do
2) Find a position that you are qualified for (if not qualified -- become qualified for an entry-level position by working for free/yourself)
3) Spend at least one day researching the company and catering your CV/Cover Letter towards it (read how to write a CV if you've not had any guidance before). Make sure it demonstrates how you are qualified for the position and don't be afraid to stretch the truth.
3) Keep applying for jobs until you get an interview.
4) Prepare for the fucking interview -- don't just try to wing it.
5) Follow up interview with an email.

No, applying for lots of jobs will not increase your chances of getting a job. No, it's not unfair that you need experience -- you have literally no value to anyone without it and you'll find a way. Get ready to pay you dues and learn how to sell yourself. You're like 22, there's no rush fucking rush. A few years now is nothing.
>>
>>16896667
>Find a position that you are qualified for (if not qualified -- become qualified for an entry-level position by working for free/yourself
what does that even mean

>>16896633
I've applied to city jobs, i don't think the library is hiring but i'll look into it
>>
>>16896679

What does finding a job vacancy you are qualified for mean?

It means when they go: "Wanted -- Some asshole who can drive."

You flip through your wallet and see if you have a driving license. If not, get one.

The problem a lot of graduates make is not understanding they have 0 worth and no experience. You might go "Wah wah, it's an entry level job, why would I have experience?" Here's why - because you can't even work a photocopier right now and all it takes is one other graduate who has worked in an office for a weekend to be more qualified than you.

You either spin the experience you do have or you find a way to get some more to make you even slightly attractive to an employer.
>>
>>16896701
You missed the part where I said I have two and a half years of experience
>>
>>16896706

What the hell are you talking about?
>>
What's the situation about diversity hires? Are you helping your case by filling out all the ethnicity/veteran shit?
>>
>>16896586

Your school should have some sort of career management services website, you'll want to ask. At my university we have a section for jobs employers post specifically looking for people from that school, like internships and actual full time positions.

They also should have within there a resume critique, your resume goes a long way so make sure it's formatted the way employers are looking for, because they literally will not bother with a resume that's not up to their standards.

Also hit up Linkedin, make some contacts, message people on there (you don't need to know them), at least a few people will point you in the right direction or give you advice.

Also try that indeed website, they have tons of jobs posted there.
>>
>>16896627
Can't you be a medical translator? It's very lucrative as I understand.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.