[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, junior in high school here (turned 18 a couple of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 1200x926) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 1200x926
Hey /adv/, junior in high school here (turned 18 a couple of days ago) and I have a question about applying for colleges.

I have a pretty decent GPA, around a 4.0 weighted, and I was planning on applying to somewhat elite, but not totally unreleastic schools. If I don't make it in to any of them I would go to community college for two years and reapply to the same schools as well as some more releastic ones. I really don't mind going to community college because of money and family reasons, so that's not an issue. But I'm afraid there's still stuff I'm not taking into consideration.

Is my decision wise? Am I doing the right thing?
>>
>>16895569
This is pretty much my plan too. Community college probably won't be necessary for you with a 4.0 GPA, especially if you can apply for FAFSA or one of those organizations.
>>
education is a waste of time in the current system, which is primarily designed to take money from students (and their parents) and leave you in debt so you'll be desperate enough to settle for being a wageslave all your life.

There aren't really many better options, though, so if you have some specific job you want to go into, then pursue it through education. But I'd first look outside of school for a path into the field (you can always get your education later, most of my friends got their degrees while already working for the job they were getting their degree for)

What are your non-educational opportunities?
>>
>>16895592
Eh well I'd say mine has quite a bit of emphasis on education. I'm thinking about something like civil engineering or some other math/physics/bio related subject. I'm good with computers also so there's some opportunity in that in maybe learning coding or some 3D modeling.

I'm not all too aware of non-educational and extracurricular stuff, I'm working on it, so I don't know all too much about stuff I can do outside of school yet.
>>
bumpin
>>
>>16895569
One last bump
>>
Idk desu. Maybe not community college. You sound like you're smart enough to get a scholarship to some average colleges. For example my sister has like a 3.9 unweighted I think and a 30 act and she got full ride to Gonzaga
>>
>>16896593
I meant desu but it autocorrected to desu for some reason
>>
>>16896599
What the fuck I meant desu
>>
>>16896604
I'M TRYING TO SAY T B H WHY DOES IT KEEP AUTOCORRECTING TO DESU
>>
>>16896593
But what's wrong with community college? If I go to it I have another shot of getting into great schools, also since I'm pretty sure it's easier to get into big name schools after 2 years. And on top of that my diploma will still have the school on it, not like it mentions I had 2 years of CC.

I'll be honest though I'll be sad I didn't have the "full" college experience but maybe it's a risk worth taking? I'm just curious why you might advise me not to (genuine curiousity, that's why I'm asking)
>>
>>16896593
But good for your sister! Full ride sounds fuckin amazing
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.