[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Co-workers keep asking me to cover for them. I used to work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1373020870678.jpg (36 KB, 300x305) Image search: [Google]
1373020870678.jpg
36 KB, 300x305
Co-workers keep asking me to cover for them.

I used to work days, which I hated, and now I'm working nights, which I like. Problem is my co-workers keep asking if I can work on such and such day. I just got another request to come in for a couple hours today because "we have no one to cover" for two hours. It's not coming from my boss btw. I can use the excuse that my aunt and cousin are in town, but basically I just don't want to work because fuck days.

What's /adv/ think? Thanks
>>
I also want to add that I used to work 10 hours days just to cover that 2 hour gap and these two who keep asking are new. I feel guilty but I also feel "fuck 'em".
>>
Tell them that you're on a night schedule and can't work on zero sleep. Say that you wouldn't ask them to work in the middle of the night, either. You can be assertive without being a jerk.
>>
>>16895417
My boss just texted asking me to come in for a couple hours.

>any chance you could help out for a couple hour today?

idk what to do.
>>
If you don't want to do it, then don't.

Personally, that's how I got ahead at work though. Every time they'd need help they'd call me, and I'd go in every time I could. I'd even cancel plans just to go to work. Now everyone's super appreciative of me when I'm around and my boss lets me get pretty much as much overtime as I want (which sometimes puts me at around 65 hours a week).

If you don't want to do it though, then just don't. I have a manager that almost never covers shifts or comes in when he's not scheduled. You just can't let their begging get to you. They'll try to make you feel bad but you shouldn't. It's not your fault they don't have a full crew of responsible people.

Basically, covering a bunch of shifts all the time can be a huge advantage when it comes to being well respected, but don't be a pushover.
>>
>>16895384
Ok, so your first answer is "no mate, I'm too tired and desu I don't really want to do it". You don't have to justify why you're not doing it. If that is met with anything other than "ok no worries, we'll ask one of the other lads" your next retort is "look mate, I didn't cause the problem and it's not my responsibility to fix it, you'll have to talk with [supervisor/manager] about it". You're not being rude or unreasonable, just telling the truth.

>>16895432
>My boss just texted asking me to come in for a couple hours.
"Sorry mate, no can do". That's litteraly all you have to say.

Once you've been constantly saying no to them for a week or two, they'll give up asking you and find some other mug who's too shy to say "no".
>>
>>16895441
>>16895442
Thanks guys.

Should I ask if it's an emergency? Because I'm busy. Or is that too much of pushover?
>>
I just said "I can't today. Sorry" She texted back "that's ok. Thank you for getting back to me :)"

It makes me feel a bit better cause my cousin flew in from another state and I'm taking her to have surgery tomorrow.
>>
>>16895447
No. If it's an emergency, they'll let YOU know. You did the right thing.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.