[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Use of Drinking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 1445170424381.jpg (90 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
1445170424381.jpg
90 KB, 500x496
Is drinking useful for anything besides being a sloppy treatment for misery, and a drug to make sloppy sex easier? This is good and all, but a sizable amount of people I know act like it's a general situation enhancer. Is this because they are miserable and/or alcoholic? When I look at tobacco and vaping nicotine, I see how silly the average person can get with a habit or vice, and almost distrust thier assessment of what is worth ingesting.
>>
Drinking is really a drug like any other. Of course it can have its uses, and it's ups / downs.
>a drug to make sloppy sex easier?
That's what it's generally used for, yes.
>a sizable amount of people I know act like it's a general situation enhancer.
That's a problem with society. Alcohol is the most normalized drug, and it kind of disgusts / worries me at how accepting people are of those kind of points of view on alcohol. I'm not the only one with this opinion, i'm sure.
>>
>>16894584
So that's my perspective too, and it seems like one that holds up to scrutiny a little bit, I mean a PsyD told me the same thing.

However she was the Philly NPR type. Do you think alcohol does more for certain people than it does us? There are instances where it seems to be enhancing people's every day leisure, probably more than a placebo. Is this because they need to stop thinking in order to have fun? Maybe I'm the same way, but too emotionally labile to enjoy being drunk.
>>
>Do you think alcohol does more for certain people than it does us?
Well, to be honest, i've never been drunk. I've only tasted alcohol at several ocassions. So i'm probably the wrong person to ask. However, different people certainly react differently to alcohol.
>Is this because they need to stop thinking in order to have fun?
Yes. It's a way to distract yourself. To take your mind off of other things.
>>
>>16894656
Seems meh. Most drugs seem meh to me lately. I don't understand why they get pedestals to high, above stuff like learning and being outside. Apparently that is some real high society shit.
>>
Anyone disagree?
>>
Fuck you Brandon. Why won't you just go away?
>>
>>16894792
I'm not Brandon. This is my first time posting this.
>>
>>16894576
No, drinking is just disgusting and general degenerate behavior.
>>
>>16894798
>>16894798
Taking drugs is just degenerate? I can see why you would say that, but most people have to live in the real world, which can be brutal.

It's true that people of all classes would benefit from not using recreational drugs, but to call it truly and universally degenerate is kind of religious and classist, no?
>>
>>16894802
Not that those two things are necessarily bad!
>>
>Is drinking useful for anything besides being a sloppy treatment for misery
well, it may help one to postpone dealing with their demons to a more convenient time... that is if you are shure a more convenient time will come up within a reasonable amount of time.

also, it makes talking to people easyer, getting positive experience may also help when sober. sloppy sex could help in specific cases of people who feel like they'l be alone forever or such..
but that's quite a gamble really, like any non-prescription drug. it doesn't solve problems, but it can temporarily numb them and then it's upto you to use that time in a constructive way.

other than that, it's just enjoyable. you borrow some goodfeels from tomorrow because
A: you want it now
B: you may have an enjoyable time that's memorable and be able to enjoy the memory
C: you want to synchronize your happy-time with your friends happy-time.
>>
>>16894845
>just enjoyable

There you go. There's the part I'm having trouble with.
>>
>>16894802
I don't think people would benefit from not using recreational drugs. I do think however that people would benefit from not transitioning from recreational drug use to selfmedicating. and from not telling themselves they're using drugs recreatively when in fact they're selfmedicating.
>>
>>16894802
Drugs cause your health to deteriorate. And your need for them, causes your morals to deteriorate. It's literal degeneration.
>>
>>16894859
>>16894862
Sure, so we're actually talking about social and moderate drinking here. I know, for someone who feels good when they drink, how this seems self-explanatory. Still, I don't understand the benefit to any drinking other than being uninhibited. You can do things to make yourself have a better time, but you can't quite will yourself uninhibited.

TL;DR: why is it regarded as "feel good juice" when that would probably be an opiate?
>>
>>16894862
>Drugs cause your health to deteriorate.
not neccesarily to any significant degree and taken the right precautions, good sleep, nutrition etc. for almost any drug it's non-permanent.
pretty much any case of noticable damage is a case of prolonged compulsive,drug use and therefore not recreational.

>need for them
that's no longer recreational right there.

It is however peoples inability to recognize where drug use is no longer recreational what's causing problems.
>>
>>16894869
>why is it regarded as "feel good juice" when that would probably be an opiate?

cultural reasons. probably also because the range between "mostly recreational and somewhat coping mechanism" and "somewhat recreational and mostly coping mechanism" is quite wide and blurry. I agree however that every drug contains that whole spectrum, the wideness of that spectrum kinda differs based on both physiological effects of the drug and cultural reasons.

the cultural aspect here is also that we've been told that you don't just go out and try heroin cause you feel like doing something different tonight (recreation is basically coping with boredom) and tell your co-workers about it next morning.
hence only people who are already in a situation where they're prone to problematic self-medication are the ones who decide to actually take it. whereas with alcohol and other more accepted drugs (XTC, weed, shrooms) people who have a fine life but just want some entertainment are more likely to take that step.
>>
>>16894882
I didn't know my brain was a funhouse

Thank you for the further explanation. Do you think it's possible for people to get tired of that sort of thing? Are people who abstain lewsers, prudes and mentally ill?
>>
>>16894891
>Do you think it's possible for people to get tired of that sort of thing?
yes, many people stop going out and getting drunk when they settle (find a partner, get a job etc.) only to do it maybe once a year for old-time sake.
>Are people who abstain lewsers, prudes and mentally ill?
nope, although i do think it's normal to be at least kinda curious towards what so many people find enjoyable and me as a biologist i find it quite interesting to see that the brain can be manipulated quite predictably using chemicals that mimic our endogenous ones. but no, it's pretty sensible to abstain.
Just don't be a dick about it to people who for whatever reason decide they do want to drink. just like health-freaks, vegans, environmentalists etc. even doing what is objectively a good thing doesn't make one a moral authority. I'm not saying that you are one of those, just be aware that it's easy to become one.
>>
>>16894908
Thanks
>>
Tbh alcohol is overrated just a shit drink that gives you a headache and makes you act like a retard causes brain damage and masks problems instead of solving them I've been drunk once and it was fucking terrible
>>
Helps me sleep after a night shift. Clears my sinuses in the spring and my throat when I'm sick.

Also damn good to sip by a camp fire with a good cigar or pipe.

Of course I'm just talking about scotch.
>>
>>16894612
>>16894798
>>16894845
>>16894852
>>16894962
>ITT - kids that don't know how to get a good sociable buzz on and only know how to be sober or drunk

Like with any drug, alcohol has a continuum of effects.
Getting drunk is stupid. Getting a mild buzz on is very useful and pleasant in many situations, and has virtually no drawbacks.

>>16894862
You're especially dumb because alcohol is literally good for you. You sound like you learned everything you know about biology in a Baptist church.

https://iu.spoonuniversity.com/news/new-study-shows-drinking-alcohol-will-help-live-longer/
>>
I just recently started drinking at age 23. I've learned a few things.

One, being buzzed is fun. Being drunk is NOT.

Two, drinking alone can be relaxing, but drinking with friends is more fun.

Three, always drink to have a good time, not to mask a bad time/day.

Four, it IS a drug, albeit an accepted one.

And finally, don't let your friends pressure you into drinking if you don't want to. Frankly, alcohol doesn't even taste that good unless its in a mixed drink, and even then, I'd rather have a soda half that time, hah.
>>
>>16895182
Oh, and FUCK, never, EVER, EVER drive.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.