[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So.. My brother started acting weird about a year ago. He's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1449553362405.jpg (1 MB, 500x8048) Image search: [Google]
1449553362405.jpg
1 MB, 500x8048
So..

My brother started acting weird about a year ago. He's always been into yoga and meditation/a low ambition guy, but he's really just dropping off the face of the Earth after his girlfriend left him.

He quit his full time office job to take a job as a chef at The Original Pancake house. He quit eating meat. Most of the time he's just meditating or going camping/hiking. Last I visited him and found him meditating out behind his place in the snow. He was just in shorts and nothing else (12 degrees F while humid and windy). He said he can keep that up for about 45 minutes to 1 and a half hours. I timed him and he was fine and came in after an hour. He didn't even turn red or have signs of frost bite. I thought that was cool but then he told me he has been fasting for ten days straight now. I'm not sure if this will kill him or not. I really want him to eat. It has been 22 days into his fast now. He looks alright, just skinnier, but I'm sure he'll die if he keeps up his weird spiritual shit.

How should I snap him out of this?
>>
Don't know what to tell you, everyone has got to live their own life.
>>
>>16893116
Force feed him and tell him to stop being a dumb bitch.

Problem solved.
>>
>>16893188
Now that he's thinner I probably could. I've never been able to beat my older brother at any wrestling or anything like that.
>>
>>16893116
Did you tell him why you are worried? How did he respond?
>>
>>16893225
I did and he basically said that if he got hungry he'd start eating again, but for now he isn't hungry. It doesn't make that much sense to me. I'm amazed he can still go to work, do yoga, meditate and go camping while on his fast.. So I'm not sure how long it'll take till he gives out.
>>
Is there an actual problem here? Frankly I'm impressed by him and not really sure what your concern is.
>>
>>16893271
The problem is he isn't eating. He'll die if he doesn't eat.

My parents have always been concerned by his lack of interest in other people and a career, but I respect his decisions. My parents are furious at him because he decided that he didn't want kids and that's what made his girlfriend leave him. Maybe it's just cause he's the oldest and parents expect a lot out of the oldest.
>>
>>16893116
When you are out if a relationship it is normal to try out boundries. It makes you feel alive again
>>
>>16893302
I suppose.. But 22 days in seems relatively dangerous to me. Though, I think most people perish after 40 or 50 some odd number of days.
>>
>>16893277
Your brother sounds a lot like me, but I haven't stopped eating. Why is he fasting?
>>
>>16893346
He just says he isn't hungry. He didn't give me what I would consider a good reason. No world hunger and or pushing physical limits.
>>
>>16893357
If you're really worried then call the police. It could technically be considered a suicide attempt and they can force him to get hospitalized.
>>
>>16893357
As someone who values convenience, I can understand that answer. But it seems like an inconsiderate thing to do to you and the rest of his family.
>>
>>16893366
I ought to in a couple days. He really is wasting a lot of his potential if he throws away his life just seeing how long he goes without food. I just wish I knew a good way to talk him down. There's a million and one things he could do other than not eat.

>>16893372
He can be an ass. He has a good nature, but he rarely explains himself.
>>
>>16893247
It sounds like anorexia
>>
>>16893366

I'm in complete agreement. If you seriously feel that his life is in danger, the police can put him in a 72 hour mental health hold. Free shrinks and suicde watch. They might actually get him to eat.
>>
hardly dropping off the face of the earth if he had the sense to get another job, even if it is a less involvement type of job.

also sounds like he's doing urine therapy hence the ability to fast longer periods without injury. your brother is drinking his piss and or rubbing it onto his skin. ask him about it.

anyway, tell him to grow up and get into buddhism and stop trying to be hulk yogan. the real deal is becoming mentally detached, fasting and stuff is basically useless.
>>
File: ascetic.png (2 MB, 747x1096) Image search: [Google]
ascetic.png
2 MB, 747x1096
>>16893116
>12 degrees F while humid and windy

do you mean celsius? there's no way your brother is out in 12 degrees F in just shorts for 45 minutes, no amount of yogic training could prepare him for that. you're either bullshitting or have your information wrong.
>>
>>16893682
>>16893682
It was 12 F. It's not impossible. There's some finnish guy who does ice submersions for over two hours. He even climbed Everest in his shorts and sandals
>>
>>16893731
>>16893731

how much does he weigh, roughly, pre-fast?
>>
Your brother is fucking badass. He's not going to die man, just make sure he takes a multivitamin or something in the next couple days.
It doesn't sound like he's going to die, so don't worry man.
>>
>>16893116
Some people need to do crazy shit like this to attain liberation, others don't. He's going after something he sees as worthwhile.....Maybe you should try to understand your brother instead of trying to change him.
>>
>>16893761
155 pre fast

now I can't tell, but I'd say he's lost 15 to 20 pounds
>>
>>16893793
Tell him that even Buddha gave up on this ascetic shit because it doesn't work.
>>
this thread is such bullshit. you're telling me some faggot went from banging his bitch to becoming a yogic superman in a short amount of time? bullshir
>>
>>16893116
Your brother is trying to find out how he fits into the world. Tell him that while you accept he has embarked on his journey and are impressed by his accomplishments that your concerned for his health and well-being.

I wish my siblings cared half as much about me as you do for your brother
>>
>>16893862
You're*
>>
>>16893871
"Your brother"

Your logic

"You are brother"
>>
>>16893925
"You're concerned"
smartass
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.