[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Temporary MH Group Home for Anxiety
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: 1445885782927.jpg (17 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
1445885782927.jpg
17 KB, 500x551
I'm going to a mental health "transitional housing" for my anxiety/depression/personality. The goal of the program is to offer a safe and functional home (because lots of negroes you find on craigslist, in your family, or scattered throughout your history of friends are actually sick as fuck) until independence can be achieved. I think something like 85% clients selected moved out and into their own place after a year or two on average. The clients were selected for their probable ability to do so. Some of them were in the midst of rough shit such as psychosis, and maybe are living off the NEETbucks now. My philosophy, and I know that schizophrenic people can't always help it, is that you're only as valuable as what you contribute to the world. My philosophy is a stressful one, but it keeps me intellectually honest and kind to others.

I know that none of you likely have the mental healths this bad, or that most of you have devised a system to kind of manage it. However, I know anxiety is a really common thing, and maybe you guys could offer me some tips in dealing with anxiety involving life and change in general. I've always done NEET activities and popped the benzos to cope, but I'm starting to realize this anxiety could be a lifelong problem. What I need is a group of people to pull me out of my head, be it friends or coworkers, and a little bit of confidence that I will not go insane or die every time something uncomfortable happens.

I could also be going schizo like many of the fellows in that transitional housing place, but I am not currently psychotic, so I'm told not to think about that. Anyway, thanks for reading this far. I appreciate any input. My therapists have all had a big, "We'll see what happens", attitude, which is actually not very helpful or friendly in this respect. One of them says I can do it and that I'll be really awesome, but she also looks like a doll and feeds her family by being strategically kind all day, so...
>>
I have had trouble with depression in my life, as well as other symptoms. I go to a weekly meeting of Recovery International and use the tools I learned there to manage symptoms in daily life. I read Mental Health Through Will Training by Dr Abraham A. Low, Recovery's founder and its available at libraries and the website Recoveryinternational.org. There are meetings in many states in the US and other countries as well as online and telephone meetings. I invite you to check it out, it has helped me a lot. Good luck.
>>
>>16891253
Hey OP, I have disabling depression and anxiety as well. If it hadn't been for my family making my mortgage payments for me, I guess I'd be in a group home as well.

If you can find any anxiety support groups in your area, join them. They can be a big help. I am in one now and have learned some stuff already even though I have been dealing with and learning about anxiety on and off for years.

I find it helps, if something is making me anxious, to focus on one small part of it that doesn't make me anxious, if that makes any sense. Like if I have to go to an appointment and I'm wound up about it, I don't think about the appointment, I just focus on each step: getting in the car, then driving the car, parking, walking, etc. Sometimes it is a very moment-to-moment thing and I have to talk myself gently through it. Like "ok here I am in the driveway, just gonna get in the car, man it's a nice day out" or "fuck it's snowing but at least the car is warm" kind of stuff. Basically I think back to times when people have said things to me that made me feel confident or reassured, and I try to talk to myself that way. Obviously I don't do it out loud if there are people around though.

But that's one thing that helps get me through stressful situations. Sometimes I use relaxation techniques, deep breathing, imagine a safe place, stuff like that. Obviously none of that is going to be as effective as a benzo. But it's better to do something small and even just get the anxiety down from an 8/10 to a 7/10 than to do nothing and let it spiral.

Sometimes with bigger stressors, all I can do is remind myself that it probably won't be as bad as I think it will. Having contingency plans sometimes helps me feel more secure about a change, just knowing all the bases are covered if something goes wrong.

Will post more if I think of it.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.