[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is learning a second language useless for Americans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
A lot of people from around the world use English to communicate, and very few Americans learn a second language to the point of fluency. Also, if a company wants to hire a bilingual person, they might as well hire someone who is more fluent in that other language (eg. a Hispanic person for a job related to Spanish).
>>
FUCK YOU BRANDON GO AWAY

Stop posting your retarded shit every day.
>>
>>16890670
But what I've said is true. Why hire an American who only learned Spanish at college when you could just hire a Hispanic person who has been speaking Spanish since he was a kid? Also, plenty of Americans managed to find jobs abroad despite not knowing the local language.
>>
Don't reply to this.

DON'T REPLY TO THIS.

He posts the same thread a few times per week. Literally the same exact thread.

Anything you say to him will just be a waste of time.

DON'T REPLY TO THIS. Saged, obviously.
>>
>>16890692
My question is different this time. I am asking about Americans.
>>
>>16890678
I'm an example of that. I work at a bilingual school in Paris... I didn't speak French when I got here but a year later... I feel comfortable enough. Now I'm applying for management positions in marketing that require only a basic level of French
>>
>>16890702
See? These companies don't give a shit that you speak the local language.
>>
Would you like some advice, OP?

This is a board for those seeking advice.
>>
>>16890693
You've moved the goalposts, but it's the same fucking question, and you damn well know it. Repeating for others: DO NOT REPLY, or sage if you absolutely must.

My reply has not changed either: suck it up and take the class. These tantrums are getting you nowhere.
>>
>>16890750
He doesn't want advice. He wants validation for his retarded opinions.
>>
>>16890754
You guys are the one making shit up. Look, someone agrees with me >>1088814
There are tonnes of stuff more useful than languages in the states or another country that speaks English.
>>
>>16890768
Sorry quoted wrong post >>>/trv/1088814
>>
>>16890774
Oh wow, you actually made this thread there too. Seriously, eat a dick. There's clearly more to this situation than you're letting on, you're coming into the topic heavily biased, and your seemingly only point...
>if a company wants to hire a bilingual person, they might as well hire someone who is more fluent in that other language (eg. a Hispanic person for a job related to Spanish)
... is bullshit. There will always be american companies that will hire a white guy who's learned some Spanish over other Hispanic applicants if the white guy is more suited to the role.

Learning another language is good for your mind, and is an easily demonstrated skill which can make you seem much more intelligent.
>>
>>16890786
>if the white guy is more suited to the role
Meh, would they really want to hire a white Spanish teacher instead of a Hispanic one? (and I'm not talking about white people from Spain)
>>
>>16890791
Congrats, you've cherry picked a particular example. If you want to become a spanish teacher, you're going to have to study spanish to a much higher level than what people would call 'basic'. But you knew that, hence your picking this example.

Are you huffing paint or something?
>>
>>16890796
What else can you do with a fucking Spanish/language degree besides teach though? Oh yeah, I guess you can work as a translator, diplomat or something like that, but seriously they can just pick a Hispanic person.
>>
>>16890774
/trv/ler here. Stop polluting our board with your horseshit. You are seriously the biggest loser and failure I have seen on 4chan in a long time.

Make >>>/r9k/ your new board, you will be in good company there.
>>
>>16890819
>>16890819
>>16890819
This, please. Sincerely, /adv/.
>>
>>16890819
My points make sense. See >>16890818
>>
>>16890848
They make sense to you, because you are a cherry picking moron.

>>16890848
>>16890818
Okay, so a somewhat decent grasp of Spanish can help you get into a career as a:
Broadcast journalist
Diplomatic Services operational officer
International aid/development worker
Logistics and distribution manager
Marketing executive
Patent examiner
Sales executive
or
Tour manager

However, you could also choose a career where there is simply the opportunity to use Spanish, for example working for companies who trade or offer services internationally or to non-English speaking customers and suppliers. Examples of this include:
business services;
charity work;
engineering;
media;
museums and libraries;
public administration;
teaching;
tourism;
or
transport and logistics

Or maybe, if you actually wanted an answer to this question (as I'm sure you really didn't), you would do a simple fucking google search for results such as this:
http://www.bhsu.edu/Academics/ProgramsMajors/ArtsHumanities/ModernLanguages/Spanish/Careers/tabid/272/Default.aspx

Personally, I hope you have an accident the next time you go outside, and don't get a chance at any of these, but that's just me.
>>
>>16890857
Still, do you think a company will really hire someone who just began learning Spanish at college as his degree instead of a Hispanic person for a translator?
>>
>>16890866
I think you should pick up some scissors and run around your room with them.
>>
>>16890866
Are you saying they'd pick a person based more on their race than their qualifications?

I'm done now. Please have cancer.
>>
>>16890869
No, what I mean is why anyone would pick someone who learned Spanish as a second language as a Spanish teacher instead of someone who speaks it as his mother tongue. It's like hiring an Asian who just moved to America from Asia as an English teacher.
>>
>>16890890
Don't worry about it. Nobody will ever hire you, languages or not.
>>
>>16890890

Did you want to become a Spanish teacher?

If so, then you're gonna have to work hard to become as capable as the native speakers. But if 'spanish teacher' is what you're going for, you likely wouldn't have even made this thread.

>why anyone would pick someone who learned Spanish as a second language as a Spanish teacher instead of someone who speaks it as his mother tongue

I'm confident that people with a degree in Spanish know more about the language from a technical standpoint (which is incredibly useful when teaching) then native speakers who haven't actually studied spanish academically.
>>
>>16890915
No, I am just using this example to illustrate my point. How the fuck can a monolingual American become as fluent/good as a native speaker when he only started to learn it at college? That's impossible. Why the fuck would a non-Hispanic American even wanna major in Spanish?
>>
>>16890919
People with a degree in Spanish know more about the language from a technical standpoint (which is incredibly useful when teaching) then native speakers who haven't actually studied spanish academically.
>>
>>16890922
Stop giving the autist attention.
>>
>>16890922
You didn't answer my question. How the fuck can a monolingual American become as fluent/good as a native speaker when he only started to learn it at college?
>>
Depends: do you wanna go anywhere?

I want to go to Western Africa, so learning French is a solid plan.
>>
>>16890968
Mcfucking Mckill Mcyourself.
>>
>>16890968
People with a degree in Spanish know more about the language from a technical standpoint than native speakers who haven't actually studied spanish academically.
>>
>>16890968
Easily. Your logic implies that anyone who starts something earlier will be better, innately, at something else.

People have different levels of interest on learning, practice, and even aptitude. Someone who has a poor understanding of language could have a worse usage of it than a non-native speaker.

For example, I fucking hate English and when it comes to actually expressing my ideas when speaking, I personally know three non native english speakers more comfortable with the language than me, because they really like english and were willing to put in the work. (One french two hispanic.)
>>
>>16890992
But your three friends probably started to learn English at a really young age. That is different from starting to learn a new language at the age of 18. It's impossible to become THAT good at a language if you start learning it when you're 18.
>>
>>16891018
You are wrong. Now fuck off already.
>>
>>16891018
Yeesh. Quit grasping at straws, and don't take the fucking course if you don't want to. And if you want to impose your view on others, don't.
You're wasting catalog space.
>>
>>16891035
Prove that I am wrong and you are right then. VERY few people are as talented as Joseph Conrad.
>>
>>16891018
I mean, even if we assume it is at a really young age, we know that whatever age they started it is later than when I, as a native speaker, learned the language. But my french friend was 12 when he began to learn.
>>
>>16891102
I have learned three different languages as an adult. One to full fluency. Just because you don't have what it takes to learn a new language doesn't mean everyone is as dumb as you.
>>
>>16891127
Can you write essays in that language? Essays as in ones analysing the themes and motifs of a novel etc etc.
>>
>>16891137
I'm writing this post in that language.
>>
>>16891182
That's different. English is used everywhere unlike German in the states.
>>
>tfw this autism trainwreck always posts

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
>>
>>16890626
Not really, most business internationally is conducted in English. The only reason I bothered learning other languages is so I could hear what those fuckers were talking about when conferring on the other side of the table.
>>
>>16891483
Stop. Giving. Brandon. Attention.
>>
>>16891517
Are we talking about the same retard who kept posting his ugly ass picture here day after day after day?
>>
>>16891544
Probably not. But just as annoying. "Brandon" is the label given to someone who is an annoying autist and posts the same shit every day and ignores all advice.
>>
>>16891483
See? Someone agrees with this viewpoint.
>>
>>16890626
this thread again?
>>
it's useful if you want to give a fuck about anyone who isn't a red-blooded American
>>
>>16894243
why would you do that?

fuck non-americans
>>
>>16892693
The only thing that everyone agrees on is that you are a faggot and should kill yourself.
>>
>>16890626
Learn to speak Russian, Chinese, Japanese, English, and Spanish and be superior race like me.
>>
FUCKING GO AWAY BRANDON JESUS CHRIST.
>>
>>16894474
Nah, that guy agrees that only English is useful for international business.
>>
>>16890626
stop posting this. i've seen this for like the fifth time
>>
>>16894694
>fifth

More like fiftieth.
>>
>>16894717
damn he is always posting some random shit here
>>
>>16890626
doesnt hurt to learn one more language
>>
>>16890626
why is there always this thread?
>>
>>16895029
Why don't you sage?
>>
>>16891236
The level of fucking arrogance you have is unbelievable. English is a language like any other, just because it's spoken more commonly doesn't mean it's any different.

English is my 3rd language out of the 4 I've learned, and I can use 3/4 languages to write essays (except for my 2nd which is Russian, since I don't put it into writing practice). As someone who's done English Literature I can tell you: there are many better books written by those who've learned English as a 2nd or 3rd language than native English speakers.

It only takes a few years to learn a language fluently (depending on the language) and only a while longer to get great at it. As an adult you have an advantage of understanding when learning a language, compared to native speaking kids who spend years learning the alphabet. I have a both native English and foreign friends, and in regards to the level of English among the two groups the foreigners have a higher level.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.