[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the chances of us losing contact with each other?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 215x234) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 215x234
I am having French classes at uni. I really want to be able to speak that language. I don't know any French speakers IRL, but I can practise my friend by chatting with my Quebecois online friend every day. We've known each other for two years.
I worry that one day we will lose contact with each other and I will forget my French simply there are very few opportunities to actually use it here in Australia. I don't want that to happen. I a scared that this will inevitably happen though. I am a girl and he is a guy and you know what everyone says about how "guys and girls can't just be friends". Currently, we are both single, but I am scared that he will distance away from me if he finds a girlfriend fearing that she may become jealous/unhappy about how hr is chatting with another girl every day.
>>
>>16884865
somewhere between 0 and 100%
>>
Quebec French isn't completely same as France French, just a reminder
As in, it might be detrimental for your worldwide French skills to practice with a Quebec native speaker
>>
>>16884874
Well...
>>16884884
You can still communicate with other French speakers with Quebec French? It's like how Americans can understand British English and vice versa.
>>
You don't really have to speak to someone to maintain control over a language. You just gotta make it part of yourself.

>think in that language
>set your phone to french
>read shit in french
>watch shows or movies in french
>do thing in french

Just sorround yourself of the language, it's not that hard..
>>
>>16885371
But I am inky learning French as I want to learn a new language for fun. Tbh I am not particularly interested in French culture and I would probably learn German if I never met my friend. I don't look at French media.
Also, nobody explicitly answered my question of what are the chances of me losing contact with my friend.
>>
>>16885429
*just
>>
>>16885429
>Tbh I am not particularly interested in French culture and I would probably learn German if I never met my friend
it's clear you dont care as much about losing French fluency as you are about losing your "friend"
To answer your question, will likely happen when he gets a serious gf, maybe his gf doesnt like it, but more likely he just wants to spend more time with her. Ive noticed greatly reduced contact with close friends who got gfs, and vice versa.
C'est la vie
>>
>>16885484
Wtf I don't have feelings for him. I've always wanted to learn a new language (didn't have the opportunity back in high school). I figured out that it will be MUCH easier for me to learn French simply because I don't have anyone to practise German with. I did become more interested in French after learning the language BTW.
>>
who knows?
>>
>>16884907
>It's like how Americans can understand British English and vice versa.
That's not a valid comparison. Quebecois French and Parisian French are full of words that either only exist in one, or mean different things. It's a much larger gap than just the odd spelling or pronunciation differences.
>>
File: new_caledonia.gif (5 KB, 448x324) Image search: [Google]
new_caledonia.gif
5 KB, 448x324
>>16884865
>there are very few opportunities to actually use it here in Australia
It's almost as if there were places full of french speakers right next to Australia due to the french colonial empire.
I live in New Caledonia (pic related) and we travel to Australia / New Zealand to practice our english, no reason you can't do the reverse. And we're not that bad of a shit hole (higher gdp/capita than NZ).

Moreover if you read french and have any interest in literature you could try reading classics. It's a highly effective low investment (in terms of money and time) way to maintain your proficiency day to day.

>Tbh I am not particularly interested in French culture
>I don't look at French media
I mean, realistically you're never going to use german either. But if you don't want to read french books / news or watch France 24 / TV5 Monde then what do you expect us to say ?

>I am scared that he will distance away from me if he finds a girlfriend fearing that she may become jealous/unhappy about how hr is chatting with another girl every day.
Depends if you trust him not to date brain damaged girls, or at least to be sufficiently assertive if he does. I know I'd be pissed if a girl was possessive enough to care who I chat with. Although as >>16885484 points out he might not have as much free time...
>>
>>16886512
>you don't want to read french books / news or watch France 24 / TV5
english news is better than french news?
>>
>>16886512
/thread
>>
>>16886567
>english news is better than french news?
By what measure ? And what media ?
Regardless I fail to see the point. Read both. Reading only one paper is stupid, with RSS readers anyone can easily go through AT LEAST 2 or 3 different daily publications. If you're mixing your feeds after a while you have trouble remembering in what language you even read a given piece of information.
>>
You can find a ton of french speaking people in any online game with a french community. There are a lot of different french communities online to find people to speak with and keep your french up to date.
>>
>>16886716
I am not a gamer
>>
>>16886475
Us Quebecois can understand every word French people use but not the opposite
>>
>>16886955
Does it ever feel weird listening to french people ? As in the way quebec people sound weird to us. Or are you exposed to the accent so much by media, dubs etc. that you don't really notice anymore ?
I'd never ask someone irl because I'm terrified of being accidentally offensive, I don't want to be that guy you know ?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.