[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If i actually get help for my depression and go to psychotherapy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1451026401087.jpg (110 KB, 366x558) Image search: [Google]
1451026401087.jpg
110 KB, 366x558
If i actually get help for my depression and go to psychotherapy will it actually help me or am i just paying someone to vent to? What would i really gain?
>>
Probably not. Actual depression is an endless sinkhole that continues you swallow you ever deeper.

If the insanity of it all doesn't kill you, you inevitably learn to mimic basic human interaction and find your place in this world, but still as hollow as before.

I think, in my own experience, the worst feeling is the moment when you realize there's nothing more to tell, or discuss with your therapist. You've said all there is to say, left with the realization that you cannot talk your way out of it. It's who you are now.
>>
It will help if you find someone you can really talk openly to and built a bond of trust with.
>>
>>16884816
Well there's depression caused by your situation and depression caused by chemical imbalance. A therapist can help with both but the imbalance kind really needs medication.
>>
You gain nothing.
Except if you're crazy enough you might get pills, but it will be mostly nothing.
>>
>>16884830
>>16884816
My life is fine, i just rather be dead. So from that what youre saying is im fucked?
>>
>>16884816
This is all his own experience. He didn't even say he's tried therapy. There's no indication that any of this is relevant to you.

Lots of people recover from depression. Lots of people don't.
>>
No updates in awhile, but i feel worse about my situation so i think ill just get a job so i can smoke weed and delude myself into feeling better,. Thanks?
>>
>>16885134

Psychotherapy helps to gain insight into your situation. It helps you to figure out patters that cause your depression.

I have been very depressed, psychotherapy alone is not enough but it helps.

Starting a sport and having a meditation routine really helped me.
>>
>>16884830
>depression caused by chemical imbalance

Very few cases are caused by chemical imbalances, most cases can be explained by abuse and neglect.
>>
Honestly it depends on your therapist. You should try several before deciding
>>
File: Depicting_basic_tenets_of_CBT.jpg (117 KB, 633x610) Image search: [Google]
Depicting_basic_tenets_of_CBT.jpg
117 KB, 633x610
You'll undergo cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), basically helps to change the way you perceive and think about things.
>>
File: 1457316240616.jpg (60 KB, 672x680) Image search: [Google]
1457316240616.jpg
60 KB, 672x680
>>16885232
CBT is gay
>>
>>16885272
This is something i can get behind
>>
>>16885232
No guarantee that it will be CBT unless OP is both American and poor.
>>
>>16885300
I'm middleclass high ish

idk i feel devoid of life, i no longer have dreams or goals, id rather be dead before i hit 25, and i have other signs of depression.

I cant see a point in reaching for help when i rather just self destruct and have a coin toss between die or be forced into it
>>
>>16884803
I did all but at the end you sort of trick yourself that a placebo works then again depression is just lack of self image Google Jaques fresco and depression he really is the best good luck man I am learning math and findin interesting so far
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.