[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I've been dealing with a somewhat severe depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: marryher.png (598 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
marryher.png
598 KB, 500x800
Hey,
I've been dealing with a somewhat severe depression for many years, lately it has been worse, whenever I go to a professional they keep telling me that I need many many sessions of therapy but due to my current lifestyle I can't really do that
does anyone have any good experience with medication? of course I'd visit a professional again if I were going to take meds, but so far dealing with professionals has been so useless to me. And while I do have some childhood issues and shit, right now I'm on the best moments of my life, so I think my depression is mosly something in my brain, there's no real good logical reason for it.
>>
Do you have any hobbies?
>>
>>16880293
yeah, plenty, I'm always trying new stuff too.
Doesn't help at all with depression though
>>
Yeah, real therapy is hard. Leaves you feeling kinda raw to talk about everything.
It's up to you. I would do it if it's in your financial means, but not otherwise. You have to find the right therapist. Lots of people say to look for a professional who is your gender/sexuality/age close to yours/etc. so you aren't always explaining basic shit they don't understand.
>>
depresion is for loser weabos just stop crybabying
>>
>>16880310
yeah, I don't think I can really get therapy, at least not until next fucking year
but is there any other thing I could do to improve my life a bit
really now I'm spending most days just shitposting here and in facebook
(not a neet, I did work for a lot of time and have plenty of money saved, right now I'm an exchange student, classes are easy but I'm still being a lazy unmotivated fuck and skip many classes)

>>16880311
I'm not a weeaboo though, sorry if chosing that picture gave you that image
and I don't think I'm that much of a loser when it comes to achievements
but I am socially very retarded, and fucking weak when it comes to just disregard shitty things and going on. this is literally draining my energy so much and it becomes worse if I just try to go on, I'm losing the control over my fucking mind
>>
wot u need is philosophy. it gives u a sence of insignifigance and then ur fine with most stuff
>>
>>16880361
I already have enough of a sense of insignificance
>>
>>16880371
http://htwins.net/scale2/

Keep zooming out

Its ridiculous how small we are
>>
>>16880311
You're retarded. Depression is a real illness just like any other, and it requires treatment. You can't just "stop crybabying" your way out of it -- that isn't how it works.

Though I'm currently applying an electric shock to my brain to treat depression, so hell, what do I know, anyway?
>>
>>16880386
Nothing

Good job paying for someone to shock you dumbass
>>
>>16880383
I'm OP and I work in astronomy
knowing how insignificant I am from that perspective doesn't really make any difference when it comes to being depressed all the time
>>
File: prozac1.jpg (39 KB, 525x294) Image search: [Google]
prozac1.jpg
39 KB, 525x294
>>16880291
they'll likely give you an SSRI, and the meds essentially helps numb your feelings: you will feel less depressed, but will also feel drained of inspiration, motivation, energy, etc...
many people report feeling like a zombie, going through the motions in life
there are some other side effects like weight gain, ruined sex drive, so it's up to you to decide if it's work it
>>
>>16880394
but I already feel drained of inspiration, motivatin, energy
I was taking some meds years ago, I guess those were along the same lines of what you're mentioning (effects seem exactly the same, I did gain a lot of weigth but not having sex drive was actually a good thing)

so is that really the only choice?
are there really no people with good experiences with meds?
even with therapy everyone says that it would take years and I might never entirely overcome that shit
>>
philosophical sence of insignificance is like a happy insignificance like "its all pointless fuck yea"
>>
>>16880407
yeah, I know, but I still just can't be in that mood, rationally I think it's what makes most sense, but I feel that my depression is just some chemical imbalance shit
>>
>>16880425
Humans aren't rational creatures
>>
>>16880394
Where do you live?

http://nautil.us/issue/31/stress/a-vaccine-for-depression

I've been depressed going on two decades now. There are some places nearby that offer above treatment, thinking about it...

(TCAs, TeCAs, SSRIs all haven't done much for me)

If you don't exercise, take it up. Do at least 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week (more if you can).
>>
Therapy is a hardship, you got to go low before you can climb up again. Especially if you have unsolved childhood shit; although these things still make a mark on today's life you're (probably) not occupied with memories every day. Yet from personal experience I can tell you it's truly worth the effort. It took me two years and three therapists to somewhat get my shit together but I feel better, more stable and I know I can tackle whatever might pop up in the future. It sucks but I can highly recommend it.

I took ssri's (citalopram) during my last year of therapy and it helped me calm down. It numbs your feelings and gives your head a bit of room to breathe and it helped me resolve the stuff that came up. Unfortunately, in hindsight I hated them. Getting used to them was awful. Quitting them was really hard. And only when I quit I realized my emotions were a lot flatter tyan I remembered. I was unlike myself.

Even though you're in a good zone, I'd make use of it to get your shit together with therapy. You only have one life, and it's too short to live with your childhood maladies day by day.
>>
>>16880471
I'm living in Finland now
I've tried exercising but it never went too well (I was born with some breathing problems)
>>
>>16880488
thanks a lot for sharing your experience
>>
>>16880494

No problem and kind of you to say so. If you have any particular questions i'll gladly answer them.
>>
>>16880471
Have you considered ECT? It's been really useful for me so far, and I haven't even finished it yet.
>>
>>16880499
could you detail more on your experience with the therapy and the medication? how were things like?
>>
>>16880510

it took me two therapists before i found a good one. With the first I had a major breech of trust (switched up and forgot half my file) amd the second thought she could fix particular traumatic events with EMDR (google for short explanation). Unfortunately they both dug up more without teaching me how to cope. I decided to look for a psychiatrist to make sure I had a well-educated therapist in front of me (rather than someone with a pseudo-college education). Turned out she was a genius who could look through me without effort (mental abuse had turned me in a very effective sugar-coater, effortlessly making everyone around me think I was fine). I think getting a good therapist might require some searching, and some luck.

Therapy itself is a lot of talking. The first few sessions about particulars about my youth, and soon after about your daily life, what problems you run into and how they're affected by your youth. A good therapist can help you get tons more insight and break through the walls you built up to get you further ahead than you could ever get by yourself. It's not just venting your feelings; these people know their shit and thus know you and your shit as well, from all kinds of textbook examples (which in the end, we all are, really)
>>
File: enderman.png (209 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
enderman.png
209 KB, 600x481
>>16880510
some people decide to take a trip down the medication tree, basically your psychiatrist will continually try different classes of meds and add some others to augment, in my experience, if the initial few meds trials have not worked well with you, meds in general will not likely be very effective for you
CBT (therapy) takes time and effort, some patients don't care for that, but it can be very effective for some who take it seriously
ECT (electroshock) is supposedly one of the most, if not the most effective treatment for severe depression*, but I dont have any personal experience with it

*>Fink M, Taylor MA. Electroconvulsive therapy: evidence and challenges. JAMA 2007; 298:330.
>Lisanby SH. Electroconvulsive therapy for depression. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:1939.
>UK ECT Review Group. Efficacy and safety of electroconvulsive therapy in depressive disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 2003; 361:799.
>>
>>16880490
Finn here. If you're on exchange, getting therapy through your school should be really easy, they provide it through going to the school nurse and set you up with a time. I should know, I've done it. The lines are much smaller for it too. Up there I've known suicidal people told to wait 6 months before therapy is available if it's not through your school. As it's finland, it should be very cheap as well.

I've been on a SSRI twice. First time it induced a strange half year long hypomania; started shoplifting, talking a lot, just generally hyper. After that it suddenly calmed down. Coming off them was never a problem for me, many of the ones in Finland at least aren't supposed to get you addicted. Second time round didn't get that, circumstances changed and probably had more effect than the actual meds. Don't go on benzos tho. They will offer them if you have anxiety and they're too fun and you will find yourself enjoying them too much. Quit those in a week, had to keep upping the dosage constantly.
>>
>>16880386
do u feel any better?
>>
>>16880506
I recently started therapy and exercising again (had a break due to injury). Going to see how I fare with that before deciding anything else.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.