[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any reason for me to learn barre chords instead of just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: gmajphoto.jpg (19 KB, 300x281) Image search: [Google]
gmajphoto.jpg
19 KB, 300x281
is there any reason for me to learn barre chords instead of just using a capo? I swear god this shit is impossible to fucking learn. I feel like it's the bone structure on my finger or something like that because even if I press down on the neck as much as I can there's always one or two strings that don't ring. fuck this shit mane.
>>
I had the same problem when I started seven years ago
Just gotta keep at it
I still don't own a capo
>>
Keep practicing. It gets easier.
>>
The capo absolutely does not replace barre chords. At all. You're not going to readjust the capo during the song. You shouldn't have to push your finger down with all your might to get it. Are you dropping your wrist down? A lot of people like to keep the neck in a death grip and that makes barre chords pretty hard to do. Try to loosen up and let your palm go away from the neck.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (173 KB, 1245x1024) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
173 KB, 1245x1024
Barre chords aren't hard, and neither do they replace a capo you dumbfuck. I consider myself a beginner at guitar, yet I can do barre chords all day.

The thing that helped me was to use the side of my finger instead of the bottom. Try that instead of trying to smash your squishy side of the finger into the guitar.
>>
File: WP_20160303_15_42_25_Pro.jpg (427 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160303_15_42_25_Pro.jpg
427 KB, 1600x1200
>>16872186
I'd really like to do barre chords but it just seems physically impossible to me dude. it's like there's a space between the bones in my finger that should be pressing down on the string. is this normal? shit fucking sucks ass...I hope it's not impossible for me to do it since playing guitar is really the only thing I enjoy doing.
>>
>>16872199
no i'm not hugging the neck with my hand if that's what you mean. i'm pushing my thumb against the neck which is supposed to help me do them, except it's not working at all.

>>16872204
yeah, I know I should use the bony part of my finger. still ain't working...
>>
Play bar tunes by hitting the strings only when you push the strings down with the bar chord. This trains your hand and doesn't hurt.

Pretty soon you will be playing long clean bar chords.
>>
>>16872180
Barre chords are difficult to learn cause everyone's finger isn't the same. Just keep at it, you will find an angle that works for you eventually. Make sure that every string that is supposed to sound does and all others are muted.
>>
>>16872180
Get your action adjusted. And if not just use your thumb for the barred fret and make an open major chord shape if the tension is really killing your finger
>>
I highly recommend it but I guess it's technically not necessary depending on your style. Gypsy jazz doesn't use any barre chords because Rhienhardt was physically handicapped and couldn't make them.
>>
Just practice, it gets much easier. I forgot barre chords were dofficult to learn because they're second nature now.

Watch justinguitar on youtube, that's how I learned to play
>>
Technique will vary from individual to individual due to slight physical differences, but the generic tips will help. Roll your finger slightly onto the strings to allow a smaller surface area to inflict a greater pressure. Play the barre closer to the left of the fret position so you've got a greater ability to close the strings at that point instead of nearer the middle. Maybe bring your thumb round to the back of the neck so you are able to spread your fingers and get (while initially uncomfortable) greater control and reach. Practice, it is normal for barre chords to be a progression from 5th chords and power chords and maybe eventually a major or minor 7th then maybe a complete major or minor.
>>
>>16872230
Lift weights. Your hand is weak as fuck so there is no meat on your fingers.
>>
Try holding the guitar neck high so you don't have such a bend in your wrist, like imagine how classical players sit, it gives us a lot of room to move out arms and keep the wrist straight.

If you want a challenge to work on them, learn how to play Villa Lobos Etude 3
>>
File: chording.jpg (53 KB, 400x343) Image search: [Google]
chording.jpg
53 KB, 400x343
>>16872180
As others have said, it gets easier the more you practice but it's really not that hard

I personally almost always do barre chords with my thumb on the top 1 or 2 strings but I have pretty big hands. Pic related. Doing it the regular way like your picture feels uncomfortable to me
>>
>>16872180
lol
git gud fgt
>>
>>16872180

Capos look cool.

Get a capo.
>>
Wow, I never even had this problem
Capos won't replace barre chords though, unless you plan on stopping the song, and switching the fret. It could be the action, but keep trying, and you'll get it eventually
>>
File: bugs.jpg (40 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
bugs.jpg
40 KB, 409x409
>>16872180
6 years guitarist.

You need barre if you want to develop any kind of playing flexibility in the future.
Imagine you're in a band, repeating a certain chord progression, let's say Em - D - C to keep it simple. At first, you play them in your standard chord positions, but as the rhythm builds up, you want to make the chords sound a bit "higher". So what do you do? Play them on a higher position in the neck, using barre as a base. Then you can change between different positions and make different sound textures and sounds, all using the same chord progression.

Also, you can play any chord you want using barre. C#m7? No problem, barre on the fourth fret and rest of the fingers form a chord. Eb9? Barre on the sixth fret. Barre is necessary for all of the jazzy chords if you ever decide to go that way.

Either way, it comes with practice. It took me about a year to fully master pressing barre. Now it's a second nature.
>>
>>16872180
Roll your finger a bit so the side is barring the fret. Maybe your saddle is too high and you need to grind it down a bit too.
>>
>>16873132
this dude knows what's up

i recommend playing the piano if you really can't barre chord
don't even stop playing guitar play both this develops the muscles
>>
>>16872180
Watch this OP this guy gives the best lessons on youtube. Really helped me out when i struggled with barring

https://youtu.be/DrlF4Tc8qC8
>>
Sometimes you want to play lower on the neck than your capo within the same song. Moving up and octave with the same chord can have a nice effect sometimes.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.