[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>NCEA grades not quite sufficient to get into PHYS 114 >automatically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: wake me up inside.png (669 KB, 443x577) Image search: [Google]
wake me up inside.png
669 KB, 443x577
>NCEA grades not quite sufficient to get into PHYS 114
>automatically put into PHYS 131 as an alternative prerequisite, extending my degree by a year
>a senior lecturer basically says that he doesn't want students to think they don't need the requirements to get into the course and so he refuses to let me into PHYS 114 even on a trial basis, despite a couple weeks of negotiations
>university starts
>PHYS 131 turns out to be even more basic physics than I thought, I've already learned everything in the course plan

What do you do in this situation?
By the way, I should point out that this is New Zealand and not the US, which makes things even worse because New Zealanders are extremely passive. So only someone who actually has a duty to help me will do so.
>>
>>16866236
At least its not a gender studies class.
>>
>>16866236
Sounds like you need to hit the books, my friend. If you think you're going to manipulate your way into a higher level class, well, stop.
>>
>>16866245
>tfw ex-classmate is taking gender studies and

>>16866255
He actually gave an offer for me to take a 200-level course without taking the PHYS 114 prerequisite if I wanted to save that year that was added on. So clearly, he allows worming into higher level classes. Just not straight from high school.
Also, what can I hit the books for if there's nothing to learn? Did you actually read properly?
>>
>>16866267
Got distracted by second reply.
>tfw ex-classmate is taking gender studies and law
>tfw she might become a feminist lawyer
>>
File: can wake up.png (341 KB, 443x577) Image search: [Google]
can wake up.png
341 KB, 443x577
I contacted another senior lecturer, and they resolved the issue by allowing me to take a couple of tests on the subjects I needed to meet the requirements.
>>
Never knew New Zealand was a passive culture, interesting.
>>
>>16866267
Do well enough on your paper to get into the proper 200-level course in time. Try to get in contact with people that are doing or have done the other paper to get an idea of what level you should be performing at, but if you can't convince your lecturer now don't think yourself too above the current coursework -- too easy to let your grades slip with that mindset.

What uni are you at, OP? NZ represent.
>>
>>16866451
Other countries brown-nose us constantly, I'd say New Zealand has one of the best reputations out there of any nation or state.
Only Japan, Finland, Bhutan, and Hawaii seem to be as loved.
But seriously, this country is rubbish.
A) The government is hated by everyone, we can't elect anyone good because there isn't anyone good
B) The secondary education system is hated by all teachers I've talked about it to.
C) You'd think that a low population country wouldn't have problems with housing prices. Actually, it just means that the market is so small that it's uncompetitive. I literally can't draw student loan fast enough to get a place near the university (unless I go for a crappy room in a crowded apartment), and away from the university only saves me a small amount which I'd lose again paying for bus tickets.
D) About the bus tickets! Public transport in NZ is incredibly slow and expensive. I missed my first lecture of the day because the bus to the train station was only hourly and it would arrive 3 minutes after the train passed through the station. Also, it will cost me $240 NZD (About $160 USD) every month to get to university, which is almost half of the student loan I'm getting.
E) I forgot to rant about the passiveness! Nothing interesting happens, people just watch blankly or ignore anything wrong, aside from rugby there's no opportunities for martial sports,
F) We're a banana republic. We export food, and import everything else. We pay export price for locally produced food, and a premium on anything from overseas. Except anything imported from South Africa...
G) Because we have a tiny manufacturing industry, I can't get a part-time metalworking job. I'd LOVE a metalworking job.

>>16866872
Problem was already solved, I'll get to transfer if I pass a probably rather tricky test. Only because I was so close to getting into PHYS 114!
Victoria btw.
>>
>>16867632
Where do you live? Also
>not living at home, working a part time job and paying your fees as you go, walking out with no student loan hanging over you
>>
>>16866236
>>automatically put into PHYS 131 as an alternative prerequisite, extending my degree by a year
Bullshit. It doesn't extend it by a year. They take the fact that people might not meet the prerequisites into account when they make these course requirements. What are you majoring in?
>>
>>16866451
We're not, we're just incredibly apathetic and think everything will work itself out in the end. We're not aggressive like the US, but we're not passive either.
>>
File: Week 1 timetable.png (82 KB, 1498x1021) Image search: [Google]
Week 1 timetable.png
82 KB, 1498x1021
>>16867636
Whitby.
Also, I've only found one part time job I like (they haven't responded to me saying what times I can work) and unless it's near (like 15 minutes) to Victoria and I can work from 11:15 to 3:55 on a Thursday (biggest gap in my schedule) I can't do any work.
Seriously, my schedule is retarded. Maybe getting some course transfers will fix it a bit, but look at this schedule. No good time to work.

>>16867638
Problem's already solved.
Physics obviously btw, with an irrelevant to the topic major in computer science.

>>16867640
Basically the same thing.
>>
>>16867651
You know you can work weekends, right? That Saturday and Sunday right there are empty.

Also, I know you think PHYS 131 is easy, but you've had two whole lectures of it. It'll get harder. That's why so many people fail, or at least struggle with, STAT 193/QUAN 102 - it's super easy for the first half, they stop turning up and then they introduce a bunch of completely new stuff
>>
>>16867651
Also I think my brother tutors one of your classes.
>>
>>16867654
>working weekends
but muh free time
And I know that PHYS 131 is going to have a massive difficulty ramp, that's why I checked to see that it was all stuff I already knew rather than assumed.

>>16867661
Hey, you just reminded me! I can still get a tutoring job!
Karori has some excellent housing AND a private school. I could make serious dough if there's enough demand for me to tutor physics and maths (only tutored maths before, to one student. Pretty sweet money though and it's actually easier than I thought to make sure they're learning rather than listening blankly).
>>
>>16867673
If you can tutor, then go for it. I really wouldn't recommend moving out of home if you can avoid it. Whitby's a pretty affluent area, if you want to tutor rich kids. There's no need to move to Karori.
>>
>>16867673
>but muh free time
Also sacrificing even just one day of your weekends is totally worth having less of a student loan. I'm going to walk out of law school at the end of this year debt-free and it's absolutely fantastic knowing that.
>>
>>16867680
There's Karori's shitty-but-still-fill-of-rich-kids sister school there, but the area it draws people from is massive, it's not just Whitby kids.
Still, I guess it could work. Dunno how I'd advertise though.

>>16867686
Where do you go to?
There's someone I know from my high school class who's taking women/gender studies and law, I'm thinking it might be hilarious hearing from her.
>>
>>16867694
Try Facebook for advertising? I don't know how keen parents would be for you to tutor depending on how well you did in high school though.

I'm at Vic too, down at Pip because, you know, law school. Where does your friend go? It can't be Vic, because Vic doesn't offer gender studies.
>>
>>16867696
Fack-e-book a shit
Parents should be fine with me tutoring since I passed everything and have experience, though I didn't get a merit endorsement like last year and I wouldn't be very confident with tutoring a Y12 or Y13 student since that requires very specific knowledge.
And I have absolutely no clue where my "friend" is. (Friendship would be impossible, she was the strongest feminist and I was the strongest antifeminist of the class, although I do support equality)
>>
>>16867704
Well I suppose there shouldn't be too much of a problem tutoring year 11s or in other subjects you did well in.

According to my quick research, your friend is probably at Auckland, unless she started prior to this year. Might be Otago, but their website's not loading for me atm

Also, regarding
>D) About the bus tickets! Public transport in NZ is incredibly slow and expensive. I missed my first lecture of the day because the bus to the train station was only hourly and it would arrive 3 minutes after the train passed through the station.
You need to plan your time better. You'll get better at it, but this was more your fault than anyone else's
>>
>>16867714
Well, there should be a decent-ish supply where I am. If I get a lot of money from it, I'll go to Karori since the family home is being sold anyway and there'll be a higher density of rich kids there.
>>
>>16867718
Don't assume you're going to find tutoring jobs, and if you get them, don't assume you're going to have a steady or reliable income. Summer's going to get boring quickly if you don't have a job
>>
>>16867724
That's why I need a decent method of advertising!
>>
>>16867735
Apart from physically putting flyers in people's ail boxes and getting your parents to tell all their friends that you're doing it, there isn't much you can do if you don't want to use Facebook. I supposed you could fill out those little advertisement cards that they have at Countdown and Pak n Save
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.