[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I major in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 236x353) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 236x353
I'm already old and getting back into school. Want to make money and have a job I don't hate.

Help.
>>
How are we supposed to know what you don't hate if you don't even know? You haven't even given us anything to work with.

>>
>>16865085
Fuck school, get into Carpentry and I guarantee you won't hate it.
>>
>>16865114
This.
Union labor is wide open and you'll learn to love it, at least for the benefits. The whole college bubble burst about twenty five years ago so if you have to ask strangers what to do it's not worth your time or money. Is what it is.
>>
>>16865094
Yes that's exactly how I feel. Good post.

>>16865114
>>16865154
Don't think I want to be a carpenter. That's like a male-dominated field full of crazy conservative guys, from what I've seen.
>>
>>16865198
What do you like doing? Are you analytical? Do you have a mind for math? Do you enjoy working with people? Fuck even your MBTI type would be better than nothing. It's hard to give someone advice with no information.
>>
>>16865211
INFP. Yes analytical mind. I love math but haven't taken calc yet so it's basic stuff. I've enjoyed programming. Currently work as a nurse aide and love it lots but it pays shit. Being a nurse wouldn't be as good because there's less time with people. I'm introverted and shy but like people still.
>>
>>16865114
Carpenter fag is back.

>>16865085
Pick a major that seems interesting and go from their. I switched twice before I settled on my major.
>>
>>16865232
Computer science is a fun major. Software companies pretty commonly use a style of task giving that's largely self-driven... they say, 'we need <some feature done> here are the tasks we broke it up into for you all to complete'... and then you just pick what you want out of the task board. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban_(development)

Workplaces are also very casual unless you're at IBM or something; lax dress codes, good company events, letting you come in almost as late as you want, easy to schedule vacations (because, hey, it's not like you taking a break from working on a feature for 2-3 days is going to really affect much), etc.

Also great job prospectives.

But >>16865255 is right. Just pick anything and go from there. Switching majors once or twice is common, and almost every major has some basic, required classes: English, Math, Humanities, Sciences, etc. Just pick a major and use electives and basic requirements in your first year to explore your interests. It's how I learnt I'd hate to major in physics and chemistry.
>>
>>16865255
>Pick a major that seems interesting.
NOOO
No No No.
Don't do that. I did that. I study math and I hate it and I can't get a job.

Learn something interesting later. Pick a major that will make you money. Then, once you have money, buy books about that thing which was "interesting" or pay for the tuition to get and take more classes/get another degree if you really want.

You need motivation? Money. Money is your motivation. Choose a major that will make you money.

Like a double major math and finance, or even just math and computer science. Something like that.
>>
>>16865288
If you thought a degree would give you a job you've already lost.

On /adv/ I like to give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't THAT retarded.

Do what you love to do and then find where you are comfortable. The only people who talk about making your life about money are the people who don't have it.

Also, finishing my math degree. How can you not get a job?
(Unless you studied pure math lol)
>>
So I should do computer science?
>>
>>16865288
>I study math
>I can't get a job
So much for that 300k starting, huh? But really, money isn't everything, and any degree can land something if you used your time in college properly (ie. interning usually).
>>
>>16865299
>>16865370
I'm an undergraduate. What do you mean unless I studied pure math? Of course I studied pure math it's just a standard undergraduate degree up through analysis, algebra, a little topology, etc.

Trying to become an actuary anyway though.

>>16865361
Fuck it man, you know what?
Do a triple major with finance, math, and computer science.
If you do it, and you commit yourself to it, you'll reap the benefits of that for a very long time.
>>
>>16865370
I'm a junior. Ivy league school. Nobody is willing to give me an internship.
>>
>>16865471
>not being an applie math major
Anon please

>>16865471
Op disregard this advice. Confirmed failure.

>>16865475
You are a physical meme.
>>
>>16865479
That's my exact point.
I liked pure math when I was a freshman, so I majored in it.
Now I fucking hate it and I want out. I don't want to go to grad. school with this. And nobody is willing to give me an internship.

Got any actual advice instead of calling me a "physical meme"?
>>
>>16865471
>Trying to become an actuary anyway though.
You know you could have just taken an actuary program right?
>>
>>16865493
Yeah, I do. But I was saying I just "majored in something interesting" like everyone said and now I'm a math major with no idea how to get a good job, so I'm jumping on board the actuary thing and passing the actuary exams and fitting a few "Actuarial Statistics" courses in my last semester as a kind of desperate attempt at becoming employable.
>>
>>16865085
I can help but youd have to talk out of 4chan so reply is interested
>>
>>16865491
Call a temp agency and build yourself up.

You should have known pure math is mainly for research/academia.
>>
>>16865950
Well I wanted to go to graduate school out of college. Then I realized I don't ever want to do research in this again and took a bunch of graduate courses in math and my grades dropped (not too badly, but enough that getting into graduate school will be significantly harder), and frankly I just want to work.
I'm ready to go out and work hard and make a contribution. I don't enjoy college anymore, I want to work on real projects and start my career.

So basically, I did know that ,but things just changed.
>>
>>16865085
Fuck school, become a stripper.
There is always a demand when there's always horny men.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.