[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After 5 years in university I realized I hate what I'm studying.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: shodan.jpg (44 KB, 385x414) Image search: [Google]
shodan.jpg
44 KB, 385x414
After 5 years in university I realized I hate what I'm studying. I'm studying I.T. I entered this career because I used to make crappy indie games when I was younger so I thought computer related stuff was alright, and because a lot of adults kept saying how it's the most requested job area and it's the thing of the future etc.
I wasn't really convinced when I started, my other personal choices were graphic design or maybe psychology but my parents talked me out of them because apparently you have to be really lucky to get a job in that stuff in my country.
I haven't had a job in anything I.T. related yet and I'm kind of afraid to get one and confirm that indeed I hate this. I feel extremely unconfortable attending my classes, there's not one subject that I enjoy and the people I met aren't really great either, but maybe a job would feel different since I'd get paid for it and stuff.

Is this something normal that happens to anyone about 5 years through their studies? Should I still continue and try to get a degree? (I would get a minor degree thing in about 2 years if I go on and the Engineer one many years later). Considering everyone says I.T. is a good career and all.
Or is it really important to actually study what you like no matter what?
>>
>Is this feeling normal.

Yes. For a couple of reasons. A) You've been doing it for 5 years now, you're feeling burnt out. B) At 5 years, I imagine you're almost done with school, so it's quite possible you're just feeling anxiety because you're about to commit to your career and enter the real world.

Both are completely normal feelings. The best you can do is just take a step back to put things into perspective. Is this something you enjoy? I know you mentioned having a passion for graphic design and psychology, but honestly, those are just one step above art degrees. There really isn't any stability/money in those fields unless you're REALLY lucky. That's something to consider. When you're having moments like thiis you need to look forward 5-10 years and envision where you will be.
>>
>>16864613
Thanks
>>
I think you should finish and try working in IT. There is a big difference between learning the skill and doing the job.
>>
>7 years for a minor degree
wat
>>
>>16865496
7 years because it started getting harder lately and I'm not the most intelligent person ever. But it does take most people I know at least 5 years to get that minor degree.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.