[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck kind of shit do people do on dates?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: tmp_17038-19Jvtq6716461092.jpg (54 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
tmp_17038-19Jvtq6716461092.jpg
54 KB, 600x600
There's a girl I like, and I think I have the confidence to ask her out, but I'm 18 and never been on a date. I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
What percentage of the date are you comfortable talking with her? That's a good place to start.
>>
>>16863468
Idk, I can handle a fair bit of conversation, but if it was 80%+ talking, idk how I'd do.
Is a movie and dinner a viable thing? I've heard that watching the movie first gives you a fallback for conversion, but I don't know of anyone that's done that for a first date.
>>
>>16863457
Movies are a safe bet. Ask her if she's like to go to a movie on a certain day. If she says yes, then casually mention two or three films and ask her opinion. Gives her a chance to choose something she might enjoy. (You're lucky because there aren't many tearjerker relationship movies at the box office right now, so you might actually enjoy the film.)

We've had Academy award nominee films. Has she seen them ? I don't think Revenant or Spotlight might make the best films for a first date but, damn, what were the others ?

One of the great things about going to some kind of show, is that you can discuss it. Especially if the film has some cultural/discussion value. So that leaves out slasher movies.

Do you two share classes or activities or interests ? Always good for conversation over goodies at the snack bar or burger place after movie.

Just don't bring up the subject of 4Chan :-)
>>
>>16863496

I would be thrilled if a guy asked me out on a movie-then-dinner date. That would be such a relief to me since you have the movie as a topic of conversation. If she likes Marvel, take her to see Deadpool! Best movie!

Oh and if she doesn't like Marvel she's wrong.
>>
>>16863500
As far as shared interests, idk. She often goes out drinking with friends, and watches shows like Gossip Girl. Neither are really my thing, but she was interested in joining the Tabletop RPG club at the university we attend although she has only been able to make out to one session. She's also said that she'd like to learn programming, and I'm a comp sci major, but I think I'd feel weird talking about stuff she knows near nothing about.
>>
>>16863515
Well her favorite Avenger is the Hulk, I know that much.
>>
>>16863521
Ok phew, you said gossip girl and my cheeks tightened, but then the words RPG and programming appeared! Have you guys netflixed and chilled (actually chill not fuck) yet?
>>
>>16863515
>I would be thrilled if a guy asked me out on a movie-then-dinner date. That would be such a relief to me since you have the movie as a topic of conversation. If she likes Marvel, take her to see Deadpool! Best movie!

Good choice, Anon ! That's on my list. Might see it this week.

Looking over the current offerings in my town, despite what I said before about women's weepies (was tongue in check) I have to recommend Brooklyn but it might be a bit dull for a 18 yo male. I loved it but some people might say there weren't enough car chases and shootings :-) OP, it you're willing to sit back and go where this film takes you, your date will love it.

I'm dying to see the new Coen Brothers film. There's nothing wrong with seeing Star Wars again.
>>
>>16863537
Nah, not much chilling between us. To be honest, though, I'm a practicer of abstinence, so I'd not be up for Netflix and "chill".
In the context of actual Netflix, though, I don't watch much TV or Netflix, but I'm sure there would be shows we'd both like.
>>
>>16863521
>As far as shared interests, idk. She often goes out drinking with friends,
This doesn't sound like the US. Where might I ask ?
>>
>>16863550
>boring for an 18yo male.
Not a major action nut, and I'm actually pretty fucking feminine, most any type of movie would work for me, really.
>>
>>16863561
US, but she's 22. I'm 90% certain I'll get turned down, with an age gap like that, but I'm sick of being a coward and never asking. I really just need date ideas for that 10% off-chance.
>>
>>16863579
I believe in you OP! :)
>>
>>16863567
>Not a major action nut, and I'm actually pretty fucking feminine, most any type of movie would work for me, really.
Meaning you have maturity and sensitivity. That's great. If taking a chance at a serious film appeals, go for it. I was just thinking the typical 18 yo male hasn't developed the maturity you seem to have. I found Brooklyn to be a great story. I'm a little older than you, (cough, cough) years old.
>>
>>16863589
Thanks, anon!
>>
>>16863579
>US, but she's 22. I'm 90% certain I'll get turned down, with an age gap like that, but I'm sick of being a coward and never asking. I really just need date ideas for that 10% off-chance.
I agree with Believer Anon. Go for it. If it works out, that's terrific. If not, you'll meet other women around the university. Go out and meet people.
>>
>>16863591
Yeah, last year I watched a documentary about plastic for a class and actually really enjoyed it. I figure most people would be bored to tears.
>>
>>16863606
>Yeah, last year I watched a documentary about plastic for a class and actually really enjoyed it. I figure most people would be bored to tears.

There's such a thing as going too far (hah!) I bet the plot and character development were noteworthy ! :-)
>>
>>16863608
'Addicted To Plastic' was the title, I think. Really interesting stuff, there was a dude that made water-soluble plastic, and I still have no clue how that works...
>>
Anyway, thank you all for the replies, I'll try to ask her this weekend or sometime next week, as it's spring break. I'll be checking movie showtimes as they're available.
>>
>>16863622
>Addicted To Plastic' was the title, I think. Really interesting stuff, there was a dude that made water-soluble plastic, and I still have no clue how that works

Offer Brooklyn instead. Your date, whoever the lucky woman will be, will love it.
>>
Why in the fuck are any of you telling this guy to take a girl to a movie? Fucking boring, and fucking awkward. You can't talk during the movie, you can't touch during the movie (you have to advance with touch according to how to receptive she is), and you're getting to know her. Smoke some weed or get some alcohol (if y'all are into that.) Go to a fucking arcade. Have fun and tease her, be playful. Go to the park after that, because you'll probably be comfortable with her by then. Dude, there are so many first date ideas. Movies and dinner are the shittiest imo.
>>
>>16863630
>Offer Brooklyn instead.
Hopefully it's showing next week, because it's not now and the local theater only puts their listings up one week at a time.
>>
>>16863642
>. Smoke some weed or get some alcohol (if y'all are into that.)
Definitely not into that, sorry.
>Go to a fucking arcade.
I wish there was one to go to.

A park is weather dependant, and it's supposed to get cooler again here. I handle the cold well, but she doesn't like it.
>>
>>16863642
>and you're getting to know her.

Missed this bit the first read, but I've known her over a year, we just don't hang out or anything much.
>>
>>16863642
>Why in the fuck are any of you telling this guy to take a girl to a movie?

Because he's not a stoner loser.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.