[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got caught by my ISP downloading and now I am wondering what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1444418029862.jpg (116 KB, 960x622) Image search: [Google]
1444418029862.jpg
116 KB, 960x622
I got caught by my ISP downloading and now I am wondering what to do to prevent this from happening again. They just claimed they found me torrenting through my software. I have done some research but am not sure, a VPN seems safe but to pay for something like that really has me considering hard.
Can I just get some advice on what you guys do to prevent getting caught?
>>
>>16863042
To my knowledge just torrenting isn't illegal, though I'm sure someone more knowledgeable could correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>16863059
Well it isn't illegal maybe, but they did shutoff my internet
>>
I use a seedbox. It's 10 or 15 a month, but I save so much on media that I'm downloading so it pays for itself.
>>
You got yelled at because a company caught you pirating their shit and sent a notice.
Unless your ISP is monitoring P2P traffic (hugely illegal) or using deep packet inspection (even more hugely illegal) there's no way for them to know you're pirating anything.
>>
>>16863106
Would it be a better investment than a VPN?
>>16863108
Alright then, so chances are the ISP didn't even know I was doing anything, it was some company.

I guess for some insight recently I have torrented a shit ton of music from KAT and some anime from nyaa. Funny thing is when they called they told me it was for movies and that I should delete them.
>>
Op, i've used http://btguard.com/ for a few years now. i recommend. it's 10 dollars a month.
>>
>>16863242
also, it's usually copyright holders that complain to ISP's when they see your IP on a torrent. use a VPN and you're good.
>>
>>16863104

It isn't illegal.

>>16863108

The riaa and mpaa create torrents on the most popular trackers, you download on, they look at your IP in whatever client or software their antipiracy division uses, they send a letter to your ISP, your ISP takes action.

Check your software interfaces, morons. Yes, you can easily be tracked while torrenting.

>>16863247

Ugh, hate typing up something that gets posted more succinctly. Whatever, I'm still posting it. Moronic kiddies on /adv/ sometimes need repetition; would suck for some kid to ruin his life because he doesn't want to buy a family guy dvd or whatever.
>>
File: 1432187876388.png (27 KB, 811x559) Image search: [Google]
1432187876388.png
27 KB, 811x559
>>16863042
Torrenting is not illegal, downloading copywrited material is. I was like you and got caught a few time, then I just decided to get a vpn because I'm no longer a 13 years old. Get PIA, it's simple, cheap, and will protect you. $35 a year to not go to prison, pay $1,000,000 in fines and access unlimited entertainment is very fair. Get a vpn ya faggot
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.