[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's another word for "actually" that I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 12311649846846545.jpg (18 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
12311649846846545.jpg
18 KB, 500x377
What's another word for "actually" that I can use in everyday conversation? I get savagely yelled at at work because my boss's pet peeve is that word
>>
Really. In reality.
Or just don't use any of them because they are never necessary.
>>
>>16862043
truthfully
honestly
>>
instead of saying

>Actually, black isn't a color

which tends to be a bit... snooty? kinda 'mightier than thou' try

>well, i read that
or
>well, i heard that
>well, according to XX or YY

so isntead of saying
>actually, your mom is a whore
say
>well, i heard that your mother slept with half the office
>>
tell your boss to fuck off and quit this shitty job
>>
>>16862043

In fact,
Truth is,
Gospel says,
You're wrong,
Your shit's all backwards,
I disagree and do declare,
>>
Literally.

Also thesauruses actually/literally exist.
>>
>>16862043
>What's another word for "actually" that I can use in everyday conversation?

Absolutley
Literally
Genuinley
In fact it's
In truth it's
In reality it's
Really
Very
Veritably
De facto
Veritably

>my boss's pet peeve is that word
That's actually understandable. Actually "actually" is one of those words that people actually tend to use far too much. They actually end up in a situation where they're actually saying "actually" in every sentence.I actually don't mid it to much but some people actually get really upset by it, actually.
>>
>>16862057
>I disagree and do declare
>>
>>16862057
Beautiful. I'm sure my boss will love "I disagree and do declare"
>>
maybe his pet peeve is actually people trying to sound smarter than other people using extra and unnecessary words (aka superfluous).

check it out--same meaning:
maybe his pet peeve is people trying to sound smarter than other people using extra and unnecessary words (aka superfluous).
>>
all encompassingly
>>
>>16862103
A lot of people think Brawl is a bad game. Actually, it's a lot of fun.

A lot of people think Brawl is a bad game. Absolutely, it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>16862529
Mitch Hedbeg fan?
>>
>>16862506

>Maybe his pet peeve is people using unnecessary words

I think we can minimize language to nothingness. Which, actually, might be the best thing to do in this day and age.
>>
>>16862506
I wasn't correcting him or even talking to him. I habitually say "actually, he's on a call", which he says makes it sound like I'm lying
>>
>>16862834
Your boss is an overanalyzing cunt. Unfortunately, he's also your boss.

Just try to not say "actually." If you can't do this, then try a different filler word, but no filler word is better.
>>
;Well
;how about
;i heard
;suck a cock
>>
File: idk.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
idk.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>16862043
Are you looking for synonyms for the word "actually?"
>Contrary to your shit opinion...
>Really
>Honestly
>Well
>In reality

Are you looking for a new verbal place-holder?
>Like, are you looking for, like, one of these?
>I mean
>Well
>To make a long story short
>Right
>>
>>16862951
Verbal placeholder. I'm trying to eliminate those from my vocabulary entirely, but one step at a time.
>>
>>16862053
Actually, black *is* a color, if you study visual perception.
>>
>>16863010
Yeah, it's a tough habit to kick. Everybody's got at least one that they default to in regular conversation. I bet your scummy boss has a few of his own that he's not too proud of.

Usually you can avoid doing that by taking a second to think about the words you want to use before you say them out loud. This sounds like it'd make you seem pretty retarded in a regular conversation, but if you nod your head to show that you're listening and maybe throw in an "mhm" or something, then it'll be completely natural. Even if you don't want to make that a regular habit with everybody, you could try it when your boss is around
>>
>Not a single person on this thread said "verily"

Best word to replace "actually"
>>
>>16862506
>maybe his pet peeve is people trying to sound smarter than other people using extra and unnecessary words (aka superfluous).
Well of course! What manager likes feeling less smart than their employees?

Actually OP, your boss is just a dick...especially if he or she is going to judge your performance based on this.
>>
lol your boss is a fucking retard
>>
The reason your boss probably hates that word is because you use it often when, in fact, it is seldom needed. i.e."Actually, the quarterly reports showed that profits increased" could just be, "the quarterly reports showed an increase in profits." We see in this example that "actually" is often just used to make it obvious that the previous speaker is wrong and comes off as tactless and abrasive.
>>
Its like you guys don't even know where you at
The only answer is:
To be honest or you can just say desu

T B H
B
H
>>
"Consider the following..."
>>
"You know what"
>>
>>16863506
Exactly. OP doesn't know they sound like a dick. Boss is trying to improve vocab and fix dicklikeness in one move.
>>
>>16863866
See >>16862834
I also get yelled at for saying things like "he's in a call" instead of "he's ON a call", and for "staring" when he's talking to me. So fuck off, I'm not being a smartass at work.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.