[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to sell a college dropout without sounding like a irresponsible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: pinkman-selfstarter.gif (1012 KB, 500x264) Image search: [Google]
pinkman-selfstarter.gif
1012 KB, 500x264
Former pothead here, after finishing school in 2012 I wanted chemistry and biology to get a teaching position wich didn't work out because my grades where too bad for bio.

So I went to University and started to study economics. In that time I was stoned 24/7 and regarded weed as some kind of medicine for agression and depression.
I don't really know what brought me into economics, I was kinda interested, thought there would be a lot of money to be made without hard work, and somehow wanted to change the world for something better and thought there would be plenty job opportunities. I don't want to blame weed for my own stupidity, but I kinda do since everything else would lead to an hero.

After studying 2,5 years I had only finished half of the courses and furthermore that I really don't want to work in this field. So I dropped out in mid 2015 developed an depression, stopped smoking weed and since I allways loved and originally wanted to study chemistry I'm looking for an apprenticeship as a lab assistant now.

The question is: How do you "sell" the fact that I wasted 6 semester smoking pot, without any intention or plan what's coming after and without really wanting to be there? The truth is life was comfortable, living on my parents money and I didn't want to change anything.
How can I convince a personell manager that these times are over and I actually want to become a productive member of society without telling the truth, that I was an allways stoned loser in his dream world?

inb4
>kill yourself
>suck cock
>your parents should've drowned yo
>>
Just say you weren't sure what you wanted to go to school for??
>>
>>16861752

>i blame weed
>cuz without it i would have suicided
>wanted an easy job with lots of money and change the world xD
>how do i convince someone that me being stoned 24/7 was a good thing

dude, wtf? seriously? there is no escaping this. unless you want to lie and say that your mother died 6 times over the course of 3 years, you dont really have an excuse, and nothing you say is going to convince them. you flunked out of college. there is no way to paint a hero out of that situation.
>>
>>16861752
go back and finish school would be my main suggestion.

Other than that i usually say i "had a family crisis that needed my immediate attention and resulting in me needing to leave school and i am just looking to get my own life back on track and be productive again."

Usually that is all they need to believe you are a good guy and is private enough to keep them from prying any deeper.
>>
>>16861770

You don't have to say you flunked. You flunked, its a fact.

But simply stating you had a change of heart in career, padded with bullshit (everythign tastes better with bullshit) and you can convince the employer whatever you want.

I always explained my gaps in employment and it has never harmed me (since I was in school, and I always had a personal, justified reason to not be working).
>>
>>16861791

>you can convince the employer that the reason you flunked for 6 semesters is cuz you had a change of heart.

employers arent as dumb as you give credit for.

be honest. you did something you didnt want to, cuz chemistry was your true love, and because of that you never put in the real effort. that was your wake up call to go back to do what you want and give it 100%.
>>
>>16861752

say you were working on launching a startup that was supposed to be sort of based around a grassroots movement involving local and international botanists but ultimately went up in smoke due to a conflict of interest.
>>
>>16861797

Okay but I wouldnt go that deep in an interview.

Most of the time they want to see if youre the type to flake out (judged from lapses of work/school). If you have convincing reason then its more than enough to answer the question.
>>
>>16861791
>>16861752
Employers have heard all the cop-out excuses before. If you say something about a sick family member or your health, they take it with a grain of salt, especially if you don't emotionally respond appropriately when you talk about it or never mention it beyond when they ask you why you have a gap.

Your best bet would be to get a wageslave job where they don't care so much about these things, work there for a year or so, and then apply to better jobs.
>>
>>16861759
and I realized that after 2,5 years? You can't just say that without raising serious doubts

>>16861770
>how do i convince someone that me being stoned 24/7 was a good thing
read carefully and realize that I don't convince anyone that it was a good thing. I want to convince that I've changed.

>>16861786
>go back and finish school would be my main suggestion.
This is out of question since I don't want to use the money supply from my parents any longer

>>16861791
>But simply stating you had a change of heart in career
but as an employer I would ask myself why I should hide a faggot who has an sudden change of heart after 2,5 years of achieving literally nothing. Can I just tell that I took waaaay to long to realize that economics is not for me?
>>
>>16861820
>why I should hide a faggot who has an sudden change of heart after 2,5 years of achieving literally nothing

What part of bullshitting do you not understand?
You go on about what you did to improve yourself, what personal problems you were facing and the lessons you learned from it.

Just saying, 'I swtiched majors" is not enough.
>>
>>16861803
I love this explaination but I doubt it'll work

>>16861811
>If you have convincing reason then its more than enough to answer the question.
My convincing reason is I was a blazing faggot, but I doubt that this will convince them, since a pot smoker is an addict and an addict stays an addict

>>16861814
>Your best bet would be to get a wageslave job where they don't care so much about these things, work there for a year or so, and then apply to better jobs.
I've considered that, but in 1 year I'll be 26 and my chances of getting an apprenticeship will by then be even lower
>>
>>16861837
>I've considered that, but in 1 year I'll be 26 and my chances of getting an apprenticeship will by then be even lower
What are you aiming for? What DO you want to do?
>>
>>16861837
>I love this explaination but I doubt it'll work

It worked for me

the difference was this was exactly what I was doing, or so I thought, at least.
>>
>>16861846
Not OP, but that's full of buzzwords and that's just going to fuck him over more if they ask him more about it and he can't explain any further. That's also something he could have put on his resume.
>>
>>16861837
I guess you really don't know how to bullshit your way out...

Funny.. my bullshitting skills got better from smoking wed
>>
>>16861827
>What part of bullshitting do you not understand?
The whole act itself. I doubt that any employer that is not completely retarded would buy that shit and not see that there is someone who can't name a rational reason for why he has a sudden change of interest. Furthermore they'll see that I was very lazy during that time and could've already finished university if I had a real interest in economics, so they'll ask why I didn't switch earlier. The reason like I said is: Live was comfortable and I'm a faggot.

>>16861841
>What are you aiming for? What DO you want to do?
Like I said in OP chemistry lab assistant. Would the statement from this post >>16861797 and telling "that chemistry was my true love etc" indeed be an option?
>>
>>16861872
>Would the statement from this post >>16861797 and telling "that chemistry was my true love etc" indeed be an option?
I don't think so. It just doesn't make sense to me that you loved chemistry so much that you didn't put any effort in. People put in MORE effort when they love something.

Honestly, I think you should just get a wageslave job for now, until something better comes up. It's better than doing nothing, you can work towards your goals while you have a shitty job, and that's less of a gap you have to explain. The longer you wait to do something, the longer of a gap you have. Just do SOMETHING for now, even if it's not what you ultimately want to do.
>>
>>16861872
Bullshitting: telling people what you want them to hear/see

Yeah you're not apt for it kid... but let me tell you you telling them you were smoking weed during your lapse is not gonna do you any favours.
>>
>>16861879
>>16861878

>but let me tell you you telling them you were smoking weed during your lapse is not gonna do you any favours.
well, I totally agree. So you think bullshitting might actually work and is my best option besides a wageslave job? I already have a regular parttime job, wich doesn't really count I guess
>>
>>16861898
Bullshitting might work, but it depends on your ability. If you're not confident, then you're not going to be able to pull it off.

If you already have a part time job, then you don't have a gap in your employment history (or as much of a gap) - it totally counts.
>>
>>16861898
Why are you getting a wage slave job? To say you've been working?

For all we know you were in a 2 year retreat in Tiber training your inner faculties.
>>
>>16861902
K thanks dude, any final tips on how to improve skill?

>>16861910
>Why are you getting a wage slave job?
For money and sitting at home without beeing high get's kinda boring.. I really don't get the rest of your post, sorry
>>
>>16861928
> I really don't get the rest of your post, sorry

You can explain your lapse using my one wierd trick ;)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.