[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im a NEET who wasted his entire life in front of a computer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 224x225
Im a NEET who wasted his entire life in front of a computer.

I have this old neighbor who is a retard when it comes to computers and i fixed his pc hundreds of times over the years, so he thinks im a fucking programmer cause i know how to install windows and shit.

It turns out his rich son in law owns a company which makes android apps, and he talked him into offering me a job cause im a "great kid and good with computers"

I talked to the guy and explained that i dont know shit about android and he gave me this huge shia lebouf like speech on how i should stop wasting time and do something with my life. He suggested that since i have all the free time in the world i should learn android development by myself and he will give me a job when i learn the basics and one of his guys will train me.

Is it actually possible to learn this stuff or is he trolling me? Like if i spent a year or two watching tutorials and shit would i be able to become an android developer? Or should i not waste my time?
>>
>>16861577
You really should get some formal education. Creating programs is far more than just churning out code. There are lots of abstract concepts you need to understand first.
>>
you gave this dude fair warning, and he still wants to hire you.

TAKE IT
>>
You'd be an idiot to throw away this opportunity. Go for it, and have some motivation for once in your life. It's not like you have anything to lose.
This could be your chance to get some sweet money, good friends and even a girl. Go on an adventure, OP
>>
>>16861588
Are you a programmer? If so please tell me if the guy is full of shit or not, i dont wanna waste my time trying to learn something that is impossible to learn on my own.
>>
>>16861595
This.

Life is finally giving you a chance to be something, don't turn it down.
>>
>>16861594
He wont hire me NOW. He said that IF i learn the basics on my own he will get someone in his company to train me and then when i can actually be useful to him he will pay me extremely well cause in my shitty country android developers are hard to find, or so he claims.

>>16861595
>>16861601
Yeah im scared that this might be the same as telling me "Hey man go practice acting on your own you gonna be rich when you become a hollywood superstar"

Im just not sure if its even possible to learn to learn this shit online.
>>
>>16861618
Here's a coursera I found with a quick google search. Starts in March and is free.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/android-app-development
>>
>>16861642
Um, it costs $119 and requires me to already know Java...
>>
At least try, senpai. You already have an "in" at the top of the food chain. Prove your worth and try to level up your life, nigga.
>>
>>16861664
so go read an Android Development Guide. Google is offering a lot of free resources.
>>
What's the worst that could happen? You could try, and maybe fail and end up where you are. But you could also succeed. If you don't try, you're going to remain a NEET wasting his life.
>>
>>16861664
It's only $119 if you want the useless certification, it's free to view the contents.
It says it's for beginners and Java isn't hard as long as you're willing to keep at it.
https://www.coursera.org/learn/java4android
>>
>>16861597
I am a programmer actually. That being said, there's lots of self-taught programmers out there. It all depends on what kind of quality you want. For something like simple android apps, self-taught can be good enough. Just don't expect to get hired for serious enterprise-level programming.
>>
>>16861679
There is also free advice online on acting, but you wouldnt advise me to waste time trying to become a rich and famous actor now would you?
>>
>>16861577

CS dude here, with actual job experience as software dev and other shit.

no, he ain't lying. you canteach yourself android. you'll have a hard time making good advanced shit with that on your own, but even if you've never programmed before you can make and understand a simple drawing app in like 6 hours. from scratch.

you won't become a boss on your own. but if you can do basic shit and understand the basic concepts, you've just won the golden ticket if someone is willing to coach you.

fucking take the opportunity. unless programming pisses you off, like it pisses me off. then don't do it. but I think it's a great opportunity that doesn't come around very often.
>>
>>16861690
So you are saying it is possible to learn this stuff without going to college for it? It seems kinda unlikely to me...
>>
>>16861577
>neet
>Or should i not waste my time?

Dude...
>>
>>16861696
Why not? Maybe you're good at it. Have you ever tried? You never know unless you try. You're gonna die alone with that self defeating attitude.
>>
>>16861597
CS major here. It's rediculous how much stuff is out there to learn programming. Tons of tutorials and documentation for any language you could come up at every level from novice to expert.

That said I find programming in general is something that either clicks with people or doesn't.

But id say go for it Op it's totally feasible. Like another anon said you'd be an idiot to pass this up without at least trying.
>>
>>16861714
It is possible, there's just a limit to how far you can get. Where that limit is depends entirely on your skills and effort.

I did programming as a hobby since I was a small kid already, so by the time I got to the uni, I was already pretty good at it. Of course, it was also a very rough and untrained way to program. Taking actual CS courses taught me all the needed concepts and how to make much more solid and clean programs.
>>
>>16861696

But coding these days is at best, metapogramming.

You follow the best practice recipe and you modify it according to your objectives. No one has to worry about big O or optimal implementations, that's something a language or the core library should have from the start.

And while you can learn coding from your computer because you need a computer and problem to solve to practice, I think your comparison is unfair as acting requires practice outside of the computer.
>>
>>16861714

you doubting yourself (already undermining this whole enterprise) is really pissing me off, why the fuck do you think learning something new is impossible? stop fucking doubting yourself and JUST DO IT, put effort in it, design a simple app with a simple UI and send it to the son-in-law, no wonder he gave you the shia treatment you really have no faith in yourself
>>
>>16861577
This is a literal blessing dropped straight into your lap. Don't waste it dude.
>>
>>16861714
Damn, you have the shittiest attitude dude. If a 14 year old became a millionaire for making some shitty app, I think you could get the basics in a couple of months.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
>>16861728
>stop fucking doubting yourself and JUST DO IT

Lol you sound just like that rich bald fucker, i shit you not i was expecting him to go into shia position while he was talking.

He was all like i YOU CAN DO THIS you are obviously intelligent and you sit in front of a monitor all day anyway.

Easy for him to say when he probably has like 5 CS degrees for Java and Android...
>>
>>16861762
Okay, abort, OP is clearly retarded, there's no hope.
>>
>>16861762
jesus fucking christ you are at it again
>Easy for him to say when he probably has like 5 CS degrees for Java and Android...

just give up and end yourself, oh wait, you'd probably fail that too because you have no degrees in killing yourself, my man
>>
>>16861577
I can understand the self doubt op. Im just like you on that. I was a neet allmost two years in one swing and that shit makes you go crazy. Please give it a try.
>>
>>16861713
>>16861721
>>16861723
>>16861726
Thanks for this guys, it gives me some hope , im gonna give it 6 months to a year and if i dont learn anything i will give up. One question though if you know, should i use android studio or eclipse, cause there are tons of tutorials for both?

>>16861774
>you have no degrees in killing yourself
I laughed, that was pretty funny
>>
>>16861577
it's pretty easy, I personally don't like developing for android though, generally you get paid shit for something that's never really going to help you move up in life unless you move on from it.
But here's as much as I can pack into showing you how to learn programming.
Be decent at math.
Learn the logic of programming(it's pretty simple, if(light = green) then drive your car
here's a good source for the baiscs https://thenewboston.com/videos.php?cat=278
There's tons of resources probably better than this.
After you get the basics down the same logic applies to almost every other programming language and what makes you a real programmer is when you choose a development environment, language and library to work with.

Your development library is android SDK(software development kit)
Your language is most likely java(which is great to specialize in).
And your libraries are probably going to be a couple different ones.

Copy and paste this some where and work on it until everything I said makes sense.
>>
>>16861804

eclipse is a pile of shit.

android studio is like a baby's ass. it was made by jetbrains. if you ever need a good IDE, steal jetbrains IDEs.
>>
>>16861826
Thanks im downloading it right now, hope i havent been trolled by this thread and that bald fuck...
>>
>>16861855
Good luck!
>>
>>16861855
I suspect that you've been trolled. I doubt that old guy is serious about hiring you. Unless you're a genius or something, it'll take many years to become a decent programmer. Will that old guy's offer remain open to you by that time? Furthermore, the Android market is already saturated.
>>
He's willing to get a guy to train you.

Really, it's fucking easymode, just do it.
>>
>>16861719
this comment tho..
>>
>>16863191
Lol. Now that I think about it, that's actually funny.
>>
>>16863096
>it'll take many years to become a decent programmer
Good thing many companies don't care about a programmer being good at his craft as much as they do about him being compliant. Things like Agile, scrum etc. were invented to herd incompetent 9/5 programmers into something borderline effective.
OP has a decent chance especially if someone at the company is going to baby him the first few months.
>>16861714
>>16861762
lmao nevermind OP is going to give up half way through installing the JDK
>>
Android is basically just java. Just get done enough for an object oriented programming 1 and 2 and that is enough to get hired and trained fairly often. And shit, if not you can always make your own apps.
>>
File: 1456803427704.jpg (91 KB, 879x584) Image search: [Google]
1456803427704.jpg
91 KB, 879x584
>>16863114
Nice meme.
>>
I learned Android on my own in a year. I have 4 apps out now, they're kind of simple but it's a good skill to have.
>>
>>16861642
I took that course. It is outdated, it uses old methods and in the old Eclipse IDE. Google now uses Android Studio
>>
>>16861577
Dude this is a great fucking opportunity.

Most jobs train you, especially if you're in because you know someone.

Take night classes or something and get a ba/bs while working. You'll feel way better.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.