[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opening up to people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160220_202850.jpg (332 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_202850.jpg
332 KB, 1440x2560
Hi /adv/,

My girlfriend and I have been together for a solid two months now. I'm really in love with her, and we get on on a mental, physical and emotional level. She's my first serious girlfriend, and I don't want to ruin this, because I really really really like her (I even love her, but can't get the words out of my mouth). I trust her. But my main problem is, is that I am not very open to people, and it takes a really long time (at least a year) before I trust someone enough to start opening up, and tell them how I feel about the world and show my true inside to them.

I want to tell her everything that is inside my head, and how I feel, and what I expect of the world, and things that hurt me, and how I enjoy certain things. But the fear of opening up prevents me from doing that. I really want this, but simply dont know what to tell her, and where to start. The main thing preventing me to open up is the fear of getting hurt if I do. I get the feeling that everything will become a lot better once I open up. But I don't know how to.

Do you guys have any advice on how I can open up to her, and get out of my comfort zone? Where do I start? What kind of things should, and shouldn't I tell her? What would be a small step in the right direction? What will be her most likely reaction to my closedness?

I thought of starting by telling her how difficult it is for me to open up to people.

Might help that I give this extra information: It is a natural part of my character to not trust people very fast. plus I got fucked over by my 'best' friend in the past, which put a large dent in my ability to trust anyone.

>pic related, it is the scarf I made her for when she went on her ski-trip
>>
Don't. You're trying to force something which should resolve naturally. Your two month relationship is not going to suffer a lick of damage over this situation right now.
>>
>>16858080
Unhealthy and I'll tell you why. You seek validation from other people.

Validation comes from within.

I used to be a lot like you, then around 20 I suddenly snapped out of it and started liking myself and my surroundings. I stopped needing justification to be me.

That's what you need. 'Opening up' isn't a thing.
>>
>>16858082
I always imagined that having a relationship with someone meant that I had this connection of total trust instantly.

So this is probably due to my inexperiencedness with relationships?

>>16858104

How did you snap out of it?

I recognize the needing validation. But it is only the case with her. For the rest I don't give a shit about what the world thinks/wants from me.
>>
bamping, because I'd like to hear some input of others
>>
>>16858133
A string of realisations. I realised everyone else is as boned as I am. If everyone's boned, then nobody's boned. We're all in the same boat. The same shoes.

I realised that no one wants to hurt me.

I realised factors utterly beyond my control shouldn't upset me.

Really I just saw that I could be happy anywhere and with anyone. And believe me, my past is as troubled if not more so than yours.
>>
>>16858225

>factors beyond my control shouldn't upset me

This is probably the key. I need to let all these thoughts go, and just go with the flow. I might get hurt in the process, but I will probably get over it anyway.

However if I force myself to be open to her, it can make things awkward which is not something I, nor she, want. I will see what happens.

T-thanks I guess
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.