[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time applying for jobs.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1452583748707.jpg (790 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452583748707.jpg
790 KB, 1920x1080
Do companies ask for their employees facebook and such?

Part of the job (graphic designer) I'm applying for goes through managing social accounts such as facebook and instagram, but I have neither since I deleted them ages ago. Will it matter that I have little experience on it?
>>
No, they just want to make sure you don't post dumb shit on social media.
>>
>>16857971
but will they ask for it?
>>
b amp
>>
>>16857997
>no
This word means something. It's short but it still has meaning.
>>
>>16857997
Well you said they go through peoples accounts... But they wont hold it against you if you dont have one. Unless they think you're lying
>>
>>16857997
or i wrongly implied. Either way, i wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>16858078
>>16858074
Sorry, english isn't my first language. What I meant was the job I'm applying for asks for people to also manage the company's facebook and instragram, and since i dont have an account on neither of the platforms will it fuck my odds to be hired in this place?
>>
>>16858151

Yeah, your odds of getting a social media position are very poor if you don't have a social media account of your own. It means you're not up to date with the latest offerings that the platform has to offer.

Source: I work in digital marketing and spent 4 years as the head of social media for a national company.

To your larger point - employers that are hiring you for a job may search your online presence to make sure you haven't said stupid shit, so they'll look for your social media accounts.

I've hired a lot of people in my time, and if it's for anything more than a part-time job, you'd better bet I'm immediately Googling you for any information I can find.
>>
I don't think so. If you're doing graphic design, I dont think they would care if you don't know how to use/ have access Facebook/Insta. But u could try making an account and get some exposure.
>>
>>16858151
Oddly enough, I work for a company by managing their facebook and instagram and I didn't have an instagram and hadn't used facebook at all in years (just made an account and did nothing with it). Didn't hurt me at all.

What I did was research all about social media and how social media marketing works (i.e. I googled and read the first few articles I found) and took a bunch of notes into the interview, then told them my suggestions for how to better manage the company's social media sites (I basically just spouted what the articles on google told me) and they seemed to buy it like I was some kind of expert despite never using them myself.

But OP it takes like 15 minutes max to make one of those. I would just do it, never use it, and then if they look you up they'll see you have one and that's all if you're worried.
>>
>>16858175
I'm not exactly looking for a social media management position, its just part of the job requirements I suppose.
My area focus more on design (illustrator, premiere, after effects, in design and such), and I'm confident in my work, but I don't have facebook or instragram due to some bullying that happened a few years ago. I understand how both work though, from my friend's experience. Doesn't seem hard at all, but I can understand that possible future bosses would turn their back on my application for this

>>16858178
I would, but it would involve me adding personal information online which bothers me a lot, and having to try to get friends or followers or wtv which can take a long time
>>
>>16858180
That's a good idea, thank you. Did they ask you for your personal facebook and instragam though?
>>
>>16857958
OP, there are plenty of people who have their social media under a fake name. You can run into some issues if someone reports you (like on facebook), but generally you're fine.

Honestly, if having this social media experience will give you a leg up, just set up some accounts under an assumed name. This way you don't hurt yourself by saying you have minimal experience.

At the same time, it's highly unlikely a hiring manager will ask to see YOUR personal social media pages. Sure, they'll look for them to make sure you don't have inappropriate shit on there, but they're not likely to use your personal pages to assess how good you'd be at marketing on social media (or whatever it is you're applying for).
>>
File: 1386130694100.jpg (177 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
1386130694100.jpg
177 KB, 640x428
>>16857958
some do. and they do randomly check so their worker ants arent saying anything bad about their bosses or the company.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.