[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Don't settle for that bullshit, appeal it. Take it to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Don't settle for that bullshit, appeal it. Take it to the department head.
>>
Go and talk to the teacher. Also the teacher may be in the right here - lots of classes are not about whether you got the right answer, but about whether you used the right method to get your answer. That's why you'll find in lots of classes you'll get partial credit if your working is right but for some reason you come to the wrong answer.
>>
>>16856272
>Take it to the department head.
The first thing they'll do is ask if OP has talked to the teacher.
>>
I had this happen to me in math 132, which was a finite mathematics course in college. Which was by far the worst math---well the worst class in general I took at college.

Its been awhile, but had to something to do with matrices and reduced row echelon bullshit. There was an easy formula to do to get the answer, but if we did that we didn't get points on the test, they wanted us to grind out the matrix using the long method. Man I hated that shit.

Anyway, dispute it OP---unless they specifically said you couldn't use a certain method, they can't punish you for using it.
>>
>>16856273

I can agree with you to a degree. For instance in my Spanish class, if I answer a question using vocabulary we have not covered, chances are I will lose marks. But this math. It's honestly a totally different field and as long as the numbers are right, he should be allowed to have the answers.
>>
>>16856316
Every math class I have taken, I have been required to answer it the way that was taught in class. That said, the only university-level class I have taken in math is a research stats class, though my brother is an engineering student and he says that it's the same then.

That doesn't mean that you can't argue that you should get the marks though. In high school, I did a proof 'wrong' and argued successfully that I should get the marks for it.
>>
>>16856300
Yeah it was never mentioned not being able to use certain methods. She was legit upset I didn't use the method she taught us in class.

Normal mixtures take about 3-4 minutes to setup. This literally takes me 40 seconds to solve the whole thing. No calculator use or anything. Its a legit method, I researched it, but its just really obscure, not many people are aware it even exists.

Still no reason to mark them wrong, when you know they are right.
>>
>>16856273
This. Use the shortcuts to double check your answers if they specify a method they want you to use
>>
I'm 99% certain I know what you did, and you're correct, it is obscure as fuck. I'm an engineering major, and I used the same method when I had to do those types of problems.

Definitely argue it. I'm sure you can get those points.
>>
>>16856335
This is what OP should have done. Never try to be a smartass when your grades are on the line.
>>
If the test didn't specify the method, then you shouldn't be expected to use that specific method. Dispute it for sure.
>>
>>16856336
What kind of method is this?
>>
>>16856260

You may be SOL. Many if not most math courses are about the method as much as the answer. Most of the university math courses I took would not award points for merely getting the correct answer, you had to demonstrate every step of the process to their satisfaction.

Now that you're in university you're a professional student, so it's time to stop being a whiny little bitch who blames the teacher and start taking responsibility for your own shit. Learn the material as it is taught. If you hadn't waited until the last minute you wouldn't have fucked yourself over like you did. Take it as a lesson and be less of an idiot next time.
>>
>>16856480
The Wyat b.s. method
>>
Because when you come into more complex mixed problems, you're not going to have a fucking clue on how to do them.
>>
>>16856260
Next time get the answer the easy way and then put the orthodox method on the test paper.
>>
>>16856260

if it specifically says "use method A to determine X" then of course it's wrong if you use method B.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.