[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I live in a North American city, in a small enclave of Scandinavian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: scandinavia.png (612 KB, 900x689) Image search: [Google]
scandinavia.png
612 KB, 900x689
So, I live in a North American city, in a small enclave of Scandinavian immigrants and foreign offices for Scandinavian businesses.

My employer is offering to pay me to study a Scandinavian language. Since the classes will be free, I'd love to kill time learning a new language. My problem is, I don't know which one.

I don't have any Scandinavian heritage, and if I ever travel, I would be happy to visit any of the Nordic countries.

My options are Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish.

Which, in your opinion anons, will be most useful?
>>
Swedish for the Fahrenheit 451 realization that Swedes are being bred out of existence and Swedish as a language will be lost.

Norwegian and Danish are basically the same thing, it all depends on whether or not you like wooden shoes.
>>
>>16856021

wooden shoes?

I thought that was a Dutch stereotype...
>>
Do Swedish.
Danes are practically extinct.

Norse is a bunch of cowards.

Svensk is the way to go for Scandinavia.

Are you versed in languages?

Germanic langues, excluding English, are all about inflexions.

You modify a word for it's grammatical context.

We have a bit of it in English.

In the past we add an "d" sound.
For a plural, we add an "sssss" sound.

Other Euro languages are far more gratuitous when it comes to changing words.

They change things for who they are addressed to.

Say something to one person? On word
Say something to three people? Different word.

Expect that.
Embrace it
>>
>>16856028
It is a stereotype, although my grandmother does have a pair.

Anyway, like >>16856021 said, you're better off learning either Danish or Norwegian. Sweden is literally crumbling from mass immigration, so I wouldn't expect to use much Swedish in the nearest future.

I'd say your best option would be Norwegian, simply because of their oil reserves. Since they got rich off of oil discovered off the coast, they have initiated a variety of different projects, and have the money to bring home good talented individuals. Not to mention, since Norwegian is practically Danish, you can smack two flies with one hit.
>>
>>16856038

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

I studied Spanish and French in high school and enjoyed it a lot, but that is all so far. Some of my friends spoke Polish and Arabic, and taught me a few things.

I always wanted to study other languages.
>>
>>16856050
Arabic is a trainwreck since it's non-IndoEuropean.

You're best off studying all Euro languages and seeing how they connect.

We all go back to Latin and German.

See how they interact.
They're all Indo-European, but they each have their own speciality.

If you're an English first language, you'll struggle.
We English first language people have learned to avoid inflexions.
But they're the root of Indo-European languages.

Change the word to suit the situation.
We, as anglos, don't do that except for rare situations.
But the rest do it all the time.

Accept that your very name changes all the time based on how you say it
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.