[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /adv/, I'm a 23 year old graduate who has a BS in Atmospheric
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (509 KB, 3882x2912) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
509 KB, 3882x2912
Ok /adv/, I'm a 23 year old graduate who has a BS in Atmospheric Sciences from a fairly well known University in the west coast. I'm thinking about taking my skills and joining either the Coast Guard or the Air Force as a officer. I know that I will have to go through OCS for a few months and it will be a difficult process. Can anyone give me advice on what I should do?
>>
Hard to say but they might help pay off your debt. Where there other options you are thinking about?
>>
Speak with Air Force and Coast Guard officers. Your recruiter can put you in touch. They won't eat ya.

Shit ain't Full Metal Jacket. The Air Force is very comfily corporate and was turning that way ten years ago.

Retired USAF MSgt here. You will get great benefits and as an officer. You can retire at twenty years and never have to work again. Let that sink in. You get the last third or half of your life to fuck off as you wish. The officer corps is a great human network.

You'd be a fool if you didn't do it. Look at retired officer pay tables then do the math on the other benefits. It's a tasty total.

I suggest choosing a program which will never end. You can look for shortage specialities with long futures extending past your uniformed career. Then if want you can work for the Federal government, the military as a civilian, or for a DoD contractor down the road.
>>
>>16854842
I'm not in a whole lot of debt compared to my peers but I want to be a weather officer since its been one of my dreams. Some of my family has prior service in said branches and really enjoyed it.
>>
>>16854869
Are you referring to 20 years of active duty? I would definitely become career military if I enjoyed it a lot. Do you have any knowledge on what the weather officer career is like?
>>
>>16854820
Go to >>>/k/, post on the /meg/ - military enlistment general thread. There's allways one up, and it's usually on page one.
>>
>>16854962
Ok thanks.
>>
>>16854922
Yes. You can of course stay much longer depending on your rank and the pay bumps for over twenty are nice.

I didn't work with the weather folks but they have comfy lives and interface with aircrew for obvious reasons. I suggest finding current weather officers and chatting with some in other specialties too.

The Air Force has many different worlds within it. Would do again in a heartbeat. BTW I enlisted during a recession and never felt one since.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.