[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my parents are both really good people who give great counsel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: divide.jpg (10 KB, 285x200) Image search: [Google]
divide.jpg
10 KB, 285x200
my parents are both really good people who give great counsel on personal things. they've just gone off the deep end and down the rabbit hole politically. my mom will e-mail me a funny link that has nothing to do with politics, and i'll sigh in relief, and then i'll see that it comes from a site like breitbart -- or worse, an even wingnuttier site that claims to be the only truth and whose every article is about how terrible liberals and muslims are.

i'm a bernie sanders type who cares deeply about women's rights, LGBT rights, institutionalized racism, the importance of socialized medicine, etc., and every time i click on a link to one of these sites a feel attacked and uncomfortable because it's coming from my parents. it reminds me that, man, they must really hate what i believe, and it confuses me because, like i said, they're good people but these sites just seem so hateful. fucks up my day.

how do i communicate this without making them upset? i've tried, and every time it devolves into an argument.
>>
>>16854199
your parents are right, the best thing you can do is to start looking at the facts and numbers and to start growing up to understand the way the world is outside of college and your imagination
>>
>>16854199
dont click the links?
such a non-issue
>>
>>16854207
i'm pushing 40. i get more liberal/progressive the older i get.
>>
>>16854216
Your brain is rotting
>>
>>16854216
so sad
>>
>>16854216
An old saying goes like this:

>If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain

Dude, I know it hurts your feelings whenever somebody hurtful about feminists, minorities, or Muslims, but don't retreat into your Safe Space, grow thicker skin for just a moment and at least listen to what your parents have to say.

PROTIP: It might SEEM like hate-speech rhetoric, at first, from a bunch of misogynists, racists, and religious bigots. And I will grant you some of the people screaming about them are that very thing. But ignore the assholes for a moment and pay attention to the people who are putting good, legitimate arguments forth about why those groups have gone off the deep end in this day and age.
>>
>>16854238
>whenever somebody hurtful about feminists, minorities, or Muslims,

*Whenever somebody SAYS SOMETHING hurtful about...
>>
>>16854238
>this day and age
>elderly memes
>>
>>16854253
>Actually rewording the 'current year' meem and thinking no one will notice
>>
>>16854216
>pushing 40
>still worried about what mommy and daddy thinks and does.

Dude i realised that my parents are just other people with their own flaws like every other person when i hit the fleet. So when they talk out their ass i just brush it off and move on.
>>
The people here telling you you're wrong are morons. No side is perfect, and your perception of which side is "more correct" has nothing to do with maturity or intelligence.

The only thing you can do is share your perspective without attacking theirs or getting angry. The lack of mutual, level headed discussions is why politics are so bitter and extremist today which both sides can agree is not good.

No matter how inflammatory their views are, just make an reasoned comment, don't take bait, and change the subject. If you can't be civil, just ask them to stop taking to you about politics.
>>
File: 1382209762199.png (47 KB, 352x304) Image search: [Google]
1382209762199.png
47 KB, 352x304
>>16854286
>No side is perfect, and your perception of which side is "more correct" has nothing to do with maturity or intelligence
This is the poison that causes liberals to go off the deep end. Relativism, the idea that no one can be wrong, just "equally right."
>>
>>16854294
> I am always objectively right because I am the only one who knows what FACTS are, X are causing all of my problems
This is the exact arguments that both sides use.

What if I told you most "facts" you know are not objective at all. Everyone picks and chooses what they want to hear.
>>
File: 1378019408610.jpg (818 KB, 955x3589) Image search: [Google]
1378019408610.jpg
818 KB, 955x3589
>>16854312
That's what an argument is. You make a claim and support it with evidence.
>>
>>16854312
Your fucking wrong though. I do know was going on and X IS the root of the problem, source provided

>shitthatfitsmyarguement.com
>>
>>16854312
>I am always objectively right because I am the only one who knows what FACTS are, X are causing all of my problems
Nice strawman, faggot. He never said he was right. He's implying that there is a right, and that there is a wrong, and that you can discern between that, and dismissing that through "relativism" is only going to do more harm than good.
>>
>>16854315
I didn't make an argument against arguments.
I said that both sides love to use the argument that only they know facts.

>>16854317
Ah, of course, at last I truly see.

>>16854320
> the LIBERALS have gone off the deep end
> "he never said he was right"
I understand that there can be right and wrong answers to objective questions, but in politics the questions aren't ever objective.

To fool yourself into believing that only you hold the correct values on which to judge all of humanity is the poison killing BOTH sides.
>>
File: 1377207204178.gif (196 KB, 264x269) Image search: [Google]
1377207204178.gif
196 KB, 264x269
>>16854355
>1 of 1 match
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.