[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a principle I don't interrupt anyone if they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 5centimeter.jpg (387 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5centimeter.jpg
387 KB, 1920x1080
As a principle I don't interrupt anyone if they're talking. But this usually results in people hijacking my conversations and I usually end up being silent most of the time in groups. For example I was talking about a book I read tonight when my friend hijacked it and in a moment he turned it into a martial arts conversation because the book I was talking about had some fighting stuff in it. I had no interest in talking about martial arts and he didn't stop at all.

How does one prevent this politely? I don't want to be rude but I want to be able to hold conversation with people too.
>>
I can't remember where I learnt this now but there's tricks that people who hold speeches and do debate professionally use to make interruptions seem obtuse and hold the listeners attention.

It's kinda hard to explain, especially over text. The goal is to elude to information before your small breaks. Which you're gonna have to have because nobody talks like text to speech. It allows people who listen to be more invested (because cliffhangers work and you give their brains to catch up, Obama uses this ALOT it's a bit excessive imo, most speakers do this but he's a bit much, then again he's president and I'm not). It makes practically all the time you're intending to talk in a conversation 'occupied'. There's no holes that allow for more gentle interruption. Mainly because you're usually in the middle of a sentence.

Of course these are professional speakers. They plan their shit. People who debate do similarly. But I've applied it in day to day life and it's clear people don't interrupt as much and I'm getting less questions about clarifying. Imo this is the easiest thing I've learned to help with this.

I'm sure there's plenty of literature on how not to be interrupted or how to interrupt well. Just Google 'rhetoric how not to be interrupted'. I can't recommend the book I read because it's in Swedish and I don't remember what it was called.
>>
>>16853605
p.s. Obviously you can always be interrupted. The point is to make it problematic for the interrupter. If you finished a sentence and had no 'hooks' in the conversation then interrupting right there is free. If you instead let hooks run throughout what you're saying you're gonna almost always be able to say 'hey I was talking don't interrupt'.

I see now that keeping on topic is more of a concern for you. If you're actually having an engaging conversation others won't mind you jumping straight back to the literature when he's done saying what he's saying about martial arts. Though it's important to gauge interest well. If they're more interested in martial arts talk then there's little to do.
>>
>>16853544
There is nothing impolite in catching him when he pauses for breath and saying "Getting back to the point, the thing about this book was . . . ."
>>
>>16853605
I realized that specific search doesn't get you anywhere useful. Just pick up a rhetoric book. They should cover interruptions.
>>
>>16853544
Dont hang out with interrupting assholes. Problem solved.
>>
>>16853628
Nah that's super weird asspie tier behavior family.

Conversations are collaborative. No one person is a center focus. You contribute to the topic at hand and move with it or sieze chances to steer it into a place you can contribute.

Forcing a topic so you can lecture is the most subtly rude thing I can think of next to paying for small items with a bill that needs more than 50% change.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.