[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you move to a big city without being rich? I'm sick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 900x675
How do you move to a big city without being rich? I'm sick of missing out on life
>>
Not a pro, but here's a few ways:
1) Find a job in a big city
2) Meet/make friends in a big city
3) AirBnB or couch-surf in a big city
4) Volunteer or join an organization in a big city
>>
Well you could accept shit living conditions and find a shitty job. You could save up for a couple years and then go and spend a couple years losing money there.

Or you could just take a vacation there. It's not so great. It actually sucks. I always wanted to live here growing up. Now that I do, I hate it and realize that the cleanliness and comfort of not living in a city is better than this.
>>
There's not much to miss out on regarding poor city life

The only point of living in the city is to get rich then get out when you've decided you've made enough
>>
>>16853297
So just go to the slums and I can afford expensive cities?
>>
>>16854229
yes thats literally what the slums are there for
>>
>>16853299
this is where I'm at right now, working in london and just counting the number of years at my current wage that it will take to save enough to be able to transfer to a nice smaller city back in north america to buy a house and get a less well paying and less stressful job
>>
>>16853293
>How do you move to a big city without being rich?

You don't. And recognize that a Big City is more a trendy place to hang out with fellow hipsters than it is of any practical value TO YOU.

>I'm sick of missing out on life

Life is not a Big City. It's what you're living RIGHT NOW you stupid fuck. If you can't find fulfilling things to do where you are now, a Big City isn't going to help much.
>>
>>16854233
Damn I thought in nyc even the slums cost too much for people who make a regular wage
>>
>>16854244
You're an idiot plus living in the city is the only way to get rich
>>
>>16854251
>You're an idiot plus living in the city is the only way to get rich

That's funny. Most of the rich people I know are rich because they took high-paying jobs out in areas where nobody else wants to work. In other words: They live out in the boonies.
>>
>>16854251
Unless you have a trade then you make money anywhere and the off set of living cost verses wage. Back home in cleveland i was repairing jet engine parts for 14 bucks an hour. It was shit pay so was rent. Now i repair oil plant shit paying alittle more in rent and make 70k a year in BFE texas.
>>
>>16854256
your friends were freaks that society didn't want
>>
>>16854265
But they were rich.
>>
If you want to move right now try something like bar work, you might end up living somewhere not better than a hostel or sharing a shit house. Or take a train, usually the train lines going into big cities are fast (you can get from London to half way across the UK in like 2 hours).

I guess you feel like you need the big city atmosphere and want to live their for a long time? Set yourself up in a lower middle class profession like an accountant or something.
>>
>>16854275
Id rather be in a small apartment in a city starving then have a big country house
>>
>>16854282
I like that people think this way because I'm the opposite. When pic related is the same place as a thin inner city townhouse, I want that. I guess it's because I love gardens and cosy rooms, and I don't go clubbing often enough to want to live close enough to walk to them. So, out of interest, what do city people like?
>>
>>16854291
Money fast paced living and social situations
>>
>>16854282
>Id rather be in a small apartment in a city starving then have a big country house

Then God Bless you and please stay that way, and keep encouraging all your friends to follow suit. It means less competition for the jobs I prefer. :)
>>
>>16854291
you dont want a house this big. its too much. my parents are rich and growing up we lived in a house like this and it was so much work, we ended up downsizing and upgrading our cottage instead.
>>
>>16853293
City sucks family. I used to dig being in L O N D O N but I slowly discovered it wasn't for me.

Now I'm back in rural shithole and I can't believe I ever wanted to leave.
>>
>>16854313
I dont think any which way is better. I perfer my solidarity so i like not living in a city. If people like to be constantly surrounded by others be my guest. Makes the morning stop before work grinding though.
>good moring
Hey can i get 20 on-
>how are you doing
Im doin good enough, can i get 20-
>whys that?
Then commense the long pause while i stare at them.

20 on 9 please.
>>
>>16853293
Nothing I say is going to stop you from wanting to go live in the city. It's an experience very different from what you're probably accustomed to. It can be quite overwhelming, and most people really hate the experience, but they're glad they at least checked it out.

Go check it out first, before you make up your mind.

In densely populated areas, cold and flu viruses run rampant constantly mutating as they pass from person to person. You'll be hit hard when you arrive in the city. You'll feel like shit for a few weeks, but it won't kill you. Just as you get over the first round, you'll go down again. People in the city have been exposed to this their whole lives and are immune to a lot of shit that you aren't, but their immune systems are compromised by the constant attacks. Their bodies have the ability to fight them off but they carry these viruses and spread them. you get the picture, i don't need to go on about it.

The smell is disgusting, for someone who's been breathing fresh air their whole life. It's like living in a dumpster. So many people producing huge amounts of garbage everyday.
After a while your nose shuts down, but until then be prepared to puke your guts out, cuz it's nasty. Taste mostly comes from smell, so after you lose the sense of smell all food tastes like cardboard. In the city they add a lot of chemicals and spice to compensate for their lacking faculties. I hated that the most. I love the taste of food, not flavorings.

Nothing is made in the city. Everything has to be trucked in, and that costs money. So the price of everything is much higher. Higher cost of living, doesn't mean higher quality. What they call "fresh" in the city, isn't straight off the vine, it's like a week old, or more. You body isn't accustomed to those mold, and fungus spores they eat every day either so that will make you sick too.
Don't even think about drinking the water, or taking a bath in it. Quick showers only.
>>
>I'm sick of missing out on life

What they do, I wouldn't call that living.

No peace and quiet ever. You just want to scream STFU from all the noise day and night. It's maddening. Probably plays a big part in the high murder rates in the city. People snap eventually, the city is full of people pushing shopping carts filled with all their belongings, talking to themselves. Once upon a time they were stock brokers or accountants, and now they feed pigeons, and sleep in alleys.

At the gym dudes are like 10 reps and sweat dripping off em. City surrounded by a bubble of CO2 from all the people. 20% less oxygen on a good day. No stamina. In the country you're probably used to walking miles without breaking a sweat. People collapse after walking 5 blocks in the city.
It's a hard adjustment to the city. feels like you can't breath. sleep twice as much, and you're still tired. It's not a lack of oxygen as most people think. There's plenty of 02 in the air. More than your body needs. NASA will tell you it's all about that CO2. It's poison, and your body uses a lot of energy to get rid of it. The more around you, the harder your body has to work to flush out the toxin.
Carbonated beverages, beer, soda, put CO2 straight in your blood.
And then there's carbon monoxide. 100,000 trucks bringing food into a city every week is a lot of burning Diesels fumes 24/7.
>>
>>16853293
hows one connected with other?
>>
Visit before moving. Travel and explore since "cities" vary greatly.
>>
>>16854291

Well, I grew up semi-rural/suburban, and am moving to a midsize city. Key word is midsize.

>commute eats hours of your day, unpaid, kills your car
>cityfags could possibly bike to work, no stress, fun instead of hassle
>if you want to go anywhere from the suburbs you need a car and you need a drive a distance
>cityfags can walk or bike or public transport, more accessible, less of a major thing
>lots of cute cafes and restaurants in the city, just some shitty chains near suburbs
>a house is a lot of maintenance, worry, stress, and expense
>an apartment is chill and easy, no hassle, no work
>apartment it's easier to pack up and move, with a suburb house you have to sell the thing first, a sale can take literally over a year
>city has interesting places to walk around in, suburbs is all developments and all looks the same, really boring to walk/bike around
>dating in the city is easier, more people closer to you, suburbs is more isolated

Basically I'm too lazy to own a house and drive everywhere for an hour just to reach anything. Owning a house is NOT all it's cracked up to be. The bigger the place, the more shit you accumulate in it, the more work it is to clean. Houses are just shit accumulation vehicles. The thought of an attic and basement and spare room all full of crap makes me want to puke.

The only bright side is it's quieter. Usually. But in suburbs the neighbors LOVE using leaf blowers and snow blowers and all sorts of obnoxiously loud and totally unnecessary gadgets. Like their only damn hobby is slaving over a lawn. Fuck lawns.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.