[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>NAME CHANGE Thinking about changing my last name, mainly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: bateman.jpg (31 KB, 584x413) Image search: [Google]
bateman.jpg
31 KB, 584x413
>NAME CHANGE

Thinking about changing my last name, mainly because I dislike it and it is not my fathers last name (which I would not want anyway)

My wife would like me to change my last name to her last name.. However, she is Asian and I am anglo and 2. I am concerned that people will judge me poorly having taken my wifes last name..

I personally do not mind the idea of having her last name, it beats picking a name randomly that does not particularly mean anything to me..

I am on the fence about the whole thing, I know I WANT to change my last name, my wife WANTS me to have her last name but which an Asian last name and beats picking a random name BUT worried what people might think.

Thoughts?
>>
>>16853279
What is her last name? If it is very common or short it might be less awkward for you.
>>
>>16853284

She is Chinese and her last name is Zhang (a pretty standard Chinese surname) It is pronounced Jung.
>>
I don't really like the idea of changing my surname to my spouse's. It would feel like I'm defining myself in terms of her instead of myself.

IMO, go with your dad's name, find a name that resonates WITH YOU, or pick a new name that both you and your wife change to.

It's sort of like buying a house. Your wife wants you to move into her house (name) partially because it carries no risk for her. If the relationship ends, her name is still hers. It's easier for her to have you move into her name than move into hours or "buy" a new house (name) WITH YOU, her husband.

Just my 2 cents though.
>>
>>16853279
i want to change my last name to rasmussen because i absolutely despise my mother and father. and i dont think peiple will judge you as differently as you think. most people wil care what you last name is for two fucking seconds while they try to learn to pronounce it then it wont fucking matter. that is if youre in the US. otherwise i dont have enough cultural experience to say.

but if you are in the states then notnonly is islt normal to take your wives last name but its also normal to have a name or surname that doesnt seem to match your race i.e. a black guy with the name dayvon miller nobody will think twice about his white ass last name. its just not important.
>>
>BUT worried what people might think
Why do you care? Anyone who looks down on your choice is probably nobody you want in your life anyway.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.