[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does depression go away on its own some time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 794614646464654.png (20 KB, 450x420) Image search: [Google]
794614646464654.png
20 KB, 450x420
Does depression go away on its own some time?
>>
Sometimes, it does.

I can think of two cases.

One, the freshness from a traumatic event just wears off, or you become numb to the feelings of it.

Two, in chemical cases, I imagine one could simply grow out of, or be healed by their own brain.

I dunno, I have to see a doctor for it, hah
>>
Depends on the circumstances.
>>
depression seeks to kill

Untreated, it will get worse and worse until you're one of those people that only gets out of bed to use the bathroom and eat enough calories to get by

I'd recommend a doctor, but that's kind of the nuclear option because they usually hand out anti-depressants like candy. Those can fuck you up too. Start with exercise...
>>
For me no, but when i feel like putting a bullet in my head i walk on my treadmill and think,reading helps to.
>>
>will things change if I sit in a corner and do nothing? sure hope so
>>
>>16849916
Mine did. I had pretty bad depression and anxiety for years after hard drug addiction and a near fatal accident.

Things that helped me:
Forcing myself to do shit (be active).
Don't sit around inside all day and don't play vidya/browse the internet all day.
Don't think about problems or anything negative. Break the habit. The minute it starts happening try to distract yourself. Force yourself to go for a run/walk, clean the house, turn some good music up really loud, etc. I found that keeping my body moving (and requiring usage of the brain) would distract me enough to stop falling into a more depressed state. Can be hard to start doing but once you break the initial habit it becomes easy.

Things that made it worse:
Smoking weed. Fuck that shit.
Going out drinking. I'd always feel depressed again at the end of the night.
>>
>>16849916
If you change nothing in your life, then nothing in your mind with change.

But if you make a conscious effort to improve yourself and your circumstances in small manageable ways, then yes, it does go away on its own and that's mostly what therapy will have you do.
>>
>>16849916
>Does depression go away on its own some time?

no, you need to make an effort.

>>16849969

This

also stop drinking any caffeine (in tea soda or coffee)
>>
For some it does, and for others it doesn't.

You should seek mental health treatment.
>>
>>16849916
Ways to stop depression (I have it too, m9)

Exercise - Brain rewards you with endorphin chemicals, similar to dopamine.

Diet - Like other Anon said, try eating healthy.

Socializing - Have some m8s around. A lot of people feel alone even in groups, but it usually eases my pain. Good luck OP.
>>
Not OP but thanks for advice, people.

Not diagnosed but I've had on/off depressed feelings for some years now. I didn't and still don't know where to go or what to do in life so I thought the military (which I've always been interested in joining for as long as I can remember) would be a good place to give me purpose and get away from home. I went Coast Guard, got in shape, remembered shit in a book but only a few weeks into boot camp and it made my depression way worse. I had daily suicidal thoughts and got discharged. Now I'm back to square one; 19yrs old, no college, no car. Just a basic job.

Some days I feel great, some I feel so-so, then some I feel either bad all day or good one half of the day and bad the rest. If I start feeling like I want to kill myself then I remind myself if I'm going to do that, I'm going to get on a bus/train or travel in some way so at least I'll have experienced something I don't have the means to do otherwise. Plus I've been wanting to learn how to ride a motorcycle, I try to use these as distractions and keep a little faith alive.

I'm definitely not going to a doctor. I'm trying to learn to code and get good with Linux but I'm a slow learner with that shit. My current friends end up drinking and smoking on whatever weekend we can get together but I'm not super social. I'm not awkward but the majority of my interests are so different from theirs that I can't find anyone to relate to. I just wished I lived more near a city so I could easily get together with techy people or some shit. Right now my two "best" friends are Midwest US, I've known them almost 8 years now, met on Steam. We've wanted to meet up but I have to figure out a travel plan, so that's something I guess.

TL;DR OP, no it does not. I like the "being active" idea to clear my head. What I like to do when I'm feeling shitty is to put on some good music. Pick one of your favorite bands or any kind of music that you're familiar with and think of good times.
>>
>>16849969
The walking, reading helped me last October when I hit the bottom. Back to routine and it's the same shit another day now.

Also the anti depressants and sleeping pills didn't help my case. But fucked other things up with my body and mind.
>>
>>16850332
Antidepressants are usually pretty low-risk, but they take 6-8 weeks to start working and sometimes you have to trial two or more drugs until something works.
>>
>>16849916
Nope, it'll always come back.

True depression usually kills you eventually.
>>
>>16849916
Change your life and it will go away
>>
>>16850336
I was on a combination of drugs for like 3 months. It surely did help with my gaming PS3 addiction and killed any desire, libido, appetite but nothing with the depression.

The real relief was a cut off from the city for 2 months and no internet. Back to the city, same shit.

BTW India anon here.
>>
>>16849916
>Does depression go away on its own some time?
To answer this question, we need to make a distinction between the family of conditions we call "depression" and the feelings we associate with it.

The feelings, you see, are not alien modes of thought. Most people have experienced them at some point, most often after losing loved ones. In people who don't have "depression", those feelings do go away with time, or at least cease to take center stage.

The conditions we call "depression" are about what happens when these feelings go out of whack. Major Depressive Disorder, for example, is when feelings akin to the initial shock strike suddenly, and seemingly at random (randomness is important; if you can pinpoint why they happen, that's something else). Dysthymia is more like the feelings of two days later, when the first shock is gone but you're still very much Not Okay, but it gets stuck in your head like a song or The Game, and you can't ever get it out. There are other forms, and they work in other ways.

So to answer your question, OP: the feelings normally go away on their own, but if they do, then you didn't have depression. If you do have it, then the only way out is treatment: not necessarily pills (though some people do need them), but some form of professional mental health care.
>>
>>16849936

Pretty much this.

>one of those people that only gets out of bed to use the bathroom and eat enough calories to get by
Was me for almost all of last year.

I passively waited for it to go away for a while, but it just kept getting worse, and doing shit that was good for me (exercising, leaving the house) just seemed impossible, and every failure to snap out of it and be normal for a day just made things worse.
So I pretty much set the bar as low as humanly possible, shit that's impossible to NOT achieve ("today's goal: have been standing for a total of 5 minutes by the end of the day." I'm not exaggerating), and then on top of that, make it my job to feel good about achieving it and to acknowledge that it was possible, and really focus on that feeling and fact instead of just beating myself up or feeling numb.
Very very slowly, my scope of possibility started to widen and I pushed the boundaries.

This Ted Talk really inspired me, I stumbled onto it ages ago when it seemed impossible that I'd ever need it, but it probably saved my life. It takes something as ridiculously simple and easy as lifting your arms for a few seconds or shaking someones hand, and turns it into a proud, legitimately life-benefiting achievement, and a place to build yourself up from. It doesn't get much more achievable than that.
https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life?language=en
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.