[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a better way to attempt to self-learn computer science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1450149865613.jpg (194 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1450149865613.jpg
194 KB, 1536x2048
What is a better way to attempt to self-learn computer science? Is it better to start at the concepts by grasping discrete mathematics, algorithms, etc; or is it better to start learning computer science applications like a language?

I try to learn both at the same time, but it's just not cutting it for me. So I'm attempting to learn the concepts first by reading a book on discrete mathematics, but I don't know if I am tackling this in the most efficient manner.

Can anyone on /adv/ weigh in on this topic? I'd really appreciate the advice.
>>
Computer Science is not the same discipline as Software Engineering, though to master one you will need skills in the other.

You need to pick which one you actually want to master and focus on that to begin, if you're self-teaching. What is your real goal?
>>
>>16849557
Not op
But same situation
My goal is to understand computacional graphics
>>
>>16849557
My goal is to understand the fundamentals and concepts which are shared by computer languages so I can understand new languages and other cs applications quicker.

My main goal is to create B2B applications to simplify a supply chain. But the basic goal that I am trying to work towards is having a good enough grasp of a language and the concepts for me to start freelancing. So I can have something to put on my resume when trying to get a programming job.
>>
>>16850140
bump

I need to know where I should begin. Any books?
>>
Just get a book on programming and start, dude. You'll learn the mathy shit naturally as you go. It's all useful, and it's good that they teach it in university programs, but I worked as a programmer for several years (web application development) and it never got much mathier than the shit I learned in high school.
>>
>>16851393
Check out coursera.org. I haven't taken any programming courses on there, but I've taken others relevant to my field and found them really excellent. Also, edx.org had great courses. They're free but you can also pay for a certificate - not sure how useful paying is as I've never done it.
>>
>>16851565
Really? I've had people tell me that I should read Concrete Mathematics and the shit is a fucking bitch to read. I'll go ahead and start learning the languages.

Thanks!
>>
>>16851565
this
>>16851715
Informatics here.
> been coding since I was 13
> now 19 in college
> never needed linear transformations
> feeling i will never need them

I would recommend you study data structures though, that will make you a better programmer.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.