[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into video editing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (430 KB, 600x653) Image search: [Google]
image.png
430 KB, 600x653
Like what programs do I use and what not
>>
File: magic_hwite.jpg (156 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
magic_hwite.jpg
156 KB, 1200x1200
>>16847085
I have a Bachelor of Science in this field. Start volunteering or interning, even if there's no pay right now. Networking is the key in this field and will help you in the long run. I'm not a huge Mac person, but you will need a Macbook Pro because a really good film editing program to use, which is also used in the industry today is Final Cut Pro. Are you still on college or about to start college?
>>
High school
>>
File: 1387345901648.jpg (11 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
1387345901648.jpg
11 KB, 246x246
>>16847155
I would suggest you go to Towson Unversity. That's where I graduated from. It's in Baltimore. It's a has a strong media department and a lot the professors work on film sets or have had jobs in the industry. But that's just one suggestion if you're thinking of staying local. Look up schools in LA or New York. You might be interested in that as well. Networking, like I already mentioned is the key to getting a job in film editing. It's about connections. Also, do freelancing on the side. You will get experience from this and you can build a portfolio in the process. I live on my own and have a decent job and also do freelance film editing on the side. I'm hoping to find a job in film editing very soon. I already have a few interviews set up. Don't feel like finding a job in this field is hopeless. It's not, film editing and film are just competitive jobs, and you really have to work on your stuff. You have to make sure you know what you're doing, and do a good job too. Don't half-ass. Also other good programs to use if you like PC based software would be Adobe Premiere. You can also used After Effects, and Sony Vegas Pro. All good programs. Am I helping you at all?
>>
>>16847085
Sony Vegas was easy enough for me to learn. I'm basic with putting subtitles, panning volume, cutting, masking photos, color balance. The other shit I'm learning as I go. I was also in highschool when I first diddled around with video editing for a summer job in 05 on movie maker. Everybody tends to go for adobe primere though. Good luck.
>>
>>16847220
Hey Anon, not OP, but I'm not a huge fan of Adobe Premiere. I mean it's a great program and it's true, people do tend to use it more often, but I love using Final Cut Pro 7. It's for Mac, but it's a wonderful program to use for film editing.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 672x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 672x434
>>16847174
I'm not the biggest movie guy though I'm more interested in a job where I get prices of film and just edit like for YouTube but how would you get hired just ask "hey can I cut video for you"
>>
>>16847263
I mean, you really should build up a portfolio if you have it. That's the best thing to do. Film jobs want to see your work, what your capable of. They want to see how strong your editing skills are. If you go on a job interview for film editing, you should tell them what you're good at obviously, but if you don't have a portfolio, they might ask you to show them your skills in person. I've had some places make me do that. Also good references help if you don't have a strong portfolio. That brings us back to networking and who you know. Maybe get a teacher to write a strong letter of recommendation for you. I had a few teachers from high school and professors and college advisors do that for me. I still keep in touch with them too. They've really helped me with my job search. You need to have good relationships with your mentors and respect them too. They will help you so much in the long run when it comes to pursuing a career in your field.
>>
>>16847263
Obviously, the thing is film places don't want to hire someone who can just cut film. It has to be good quality. That's why this field is so competitive. Nowadays, you're not going to get hired if you just try your best, meaning, when it comes to film, you really need to be professional about it. This isn't like filming a slide show of raw footage at a summer camp. They want something worth watching and possibly selling. Something of professional quality that promotes a business. You need to show your skills.
>>
>>16847174
Not OP, but what do you work in while you do your freelance work?
Are you still cutting in the Baltimore area?
What's your opinion on the difference in the number of jobs and opportunities between NYC and LA or any other major city for post?
>>
>>16847150
>>16847085

Final Cut Pro has made some inroads, but most use Avid. You need professional grade equipment to run it though. If you know one editing program, it's very easy to transfer to another. They all work the same way. You don't *have* to have FCP.

If you don't have connections, you won't go anywhere. Do at least two internships: one for a big production and one for a little operation. Guaranteed you won't do anything at a big production, except "making copies," but you're there for the networking. You might get some hands on experience at the smaller one though.
>>
>>16848337
For the freelance I take anything I get and I decide my own prices. I live in DC area, so I work around in Maryland most of the time. I've filmed and produced a workout DVD for a personal trainer (she paid me $2,000), a volunteer/community service recruiting video for a farm/non profit organization (it was short, so I did it for free), a catering video for a little restaurant (charged around $1,500) just to name a few. Also, I recommend that anyone who is interested in film should find work in LA or NYC because there is more opportunities for film, more major networks and corporations. Although if you are in the DC area, definitely try places like the Discovery Channel, or WETA in Virginia. I would love to move to LA though. Also, another big tip, which I'm currently doing, is you should write your own script and make your own sitcom or movie. I'm writing a sitcom right now. I hope to put it on YouTube eventually or Vimeo. A great script writing program that you can download for free is Final Draft. I hope I'm helping you guys out :)
>>
>>16848671
I work at home on my laptop. And sometimes I have to rent equipment from local AV businesses. Even if you don't have a camera, use your phone. Use any camera and start filming when the inspiration hits! Also, if you can't find any work, you should make something up yourself. A wonderful example are the group of friends that made the Blair Witch Project. They had a great idea and made it during a time when the Internet wasn't prevalent, which had people questioning if the witch was real or not, obviously not, but with their acting, and budget they made a pretty good horror film, and then came out with 2 more! They were film students and Montgomery College.
>>
>>16848337
>>16848671
>>16848686
Thanks for the tips anon, that was some good insight.
I'll be working along with a small production company that wants to start a good working relationship with an editor.
Going to try and get this video editor apprentice role at another small company as well.
>>
>>16848838
Sounds awesome. I'm glad I was able to help you. Good luck!
>>
>>16848671
Final Draft isn't free.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.