[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any real reason not to kill yourself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Is there any real reason not to kill yourself?
>>
Depends who you are. If you have young children thats a good reason not to kill yourself.
>>
>>16842857
I can't ever have children.
>>
>>16842867
Then you're free to go.
>>
This is the greatest philosophical question - is life worth living? The truth is there is no answer as meaning is subjective to the observer. But a common consensus is this: by all appearances death is a one-way road that you will walk down regardless. As it is the inevitable path,why not take the scenic route?
>>
>>16842878
Jesus Christ man.
>>
>>16842910
Whoops I ain't OP sorry
>>
>>16842902
Because there is no scene. The seats are hard and it's too dark to see anything outside.

The windows are black and there are no stars.
>>
>>16842851
I just think of the friends and family that will be torn apart if I did kill myself.
>>
File: 1336293511997.png (166 KB, 339x551) Image search: [Google]
1336293511997.png
166 KB, 339x551
>>16842851
The reason I don't kill myself is I'm still having too much fun.
>>
If you feel suicidal, tell everyone you know.
Give them 45 days advance warning before you plan on doing something stupid.
It usually takes like 30 days for life insurance policies to kick in, so don't do anything rash or it could screw them over if you kick too soon after the bought the policy on you.
>>
>>16842851

It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, basically
>>
>>16842851
Death is so finite, whereas life is full of possibility
>>
Nothing is 'real'. Do you have a reason not to kill yourself? You probably do, even if it's just to know that you've been at the absolute rock bottom and survived, but whether your life is worth living or not is a matter of perspective. I know that I'm glad I didn't kill myself when I wanted to. Lets me know I'm improving and getting better.
>>
>>16842925
I have felt pretty similar to this for years. sometimes there is scenery but it's all grey, or sometimes I can see that there are nice things in the world and I'm vaguely glad for that but I can't work up any enthusiasm about it. I have been suicidal a lot as well.

I do know that if you're living in the northern hemisphere, you might be getting a little seasonal depression on top of the usual. my old therapist used to say she was busier in february than any other month. it is a depressing time of year. so if you can't find any other reason to keep going, at least wait til winter is over so you're not being unduly influenced by that. you've got all of eternity to be dead, what's a few more months of being alive?

>>16842948
this is more or less true. I say more or less because there are some pretty depressing constants in the human condition - death, war, political corruption etc. - that aren't going anywhere. for someone who tries to be a good human being and actually give a shit about someone besides themselves, this can be overwhelming. it is actually part of my depression and anxiety, and unfortunately I have trouble dealing with it other than sticking my head in the sand most days. so I don't have much sage advice there. someday I will figure out how to still care while not being overwhelmed.

but yes, most problems are temporary. most solutions are too. the really good times don't last, but the really bad times don't either. or maybe we just adjust. the point is that there's always a chance of shit getting better even if you're not able to influence it much. perhaps OP, you should seek some guidance. whether it's from a therapist or a spiritual advisor or just asking god/ancestor spirits/your own inner mind for something to hold onto til you can get ashore.
>>
>>16842962
Death is so finite, whereas life is full of possibility

you do realize that your statement contradicts itself? life is full of possibilities and anything is possible. Death is very much a part of life, it like "monday" or "december" people die like clockwork and they are born like clockwork

if you life sucks - change it
if you can't change it - ask for help
if you can't be helped - get a new life

there's no shame in starting over
it's not like video gave where you respawn on the same level, you have to restart all the way from the beginning, but nobody should suffer with a life that they hate. hit the reset button
>>
>>16842948
The inherent impossibility of love and having to sell my labour in order to survive are not temporary problems. They will be with me until the day I die, whether that's in two weeks or 60 years.

>>16842988
Are the temporary fleeting moments of not being in pain really worth all the trouble?

>>16843033
I need to go to work in order to pay rent and buy food, both of which I need to live. I will also have no chance of finding someone I could love who could stomach loving me back. Neither of these matters are going anywhere.
>>
>>16842851
Because there is no way to prevent those the closest to you from blaming themselves for your own foolish decision.

>>16843033

Except everyone still playing that server never sees you again, and even if it was only one person that felt you were important to them, who are you to leave that person forever questioning what they did wrong, what they missed, if they could've saved their best friend, had they only picked up on a warning sign before it was too late and feeling eternally guilty.
>>
>>16842925
It's not that there's no scene, it's that you can't see it.
>>
>>16843223
Why the fuck does the difference matter?
>>
>>16843356
It doesn't, you can choose to see it or you can shut your eyes. It doesn't matter why, only that you refuse to see the beauty of life. It is your fault that you feel miserable everyday because you have the ability to change it. You can call a suicide hotline, or see a therapist, or a psychologist, or a doctor and all of them will offer potential solutions to the problem(s) you are experiencing.

Whether you realize it or not, someone else appreciates the beauty of life and you make up a piece of that, whether it be large or small, you are important to their life and perspective.

Now, I'll ask again, who are you to take that chunk of beauty, and happiness, and sadness, and purpose and everything that makes life what it is, from them because you couldn't solve your own problems? And then leave them with the guilt of knowing they couldn't give you what you gave them?
>>
>The inherent impossibility of love and having to sell my labour in order to survive

Can you explain why these are problems
>>
>>16843390
>you refuse to see the beauty of life.
There is nothing.

>solve your problems
My problem is the inherent, pointless meaninglesness of life, which also has no purpose and which HURTS. If you could pay money to experience pain for literally nothing in return, why would you?

>>16843397
The very nature of suffering is that nobody wants it for nothing in return. I am not sure why this is a foreign concept to you.
>>
>The very nature of suffering is that nobody wants it for nothing in return.

You haven't explained why the impossibility of love and having to sell your labour to survive are problems.

Also the point of selling your labour is that you get something in return.
>>
>>16843212
>The inherent impossibility of love and having to sell my labour in order to survive are not temporary problems
damn, if this isn't an english trainwreck idk what is

>The inherent impossibility of love
first off, that's not inherent -- it was developed, no one is just "permanently unlovable" from birth. second off, it's not impossible -- there's literally nothing to suggest that fate is set in stone. it's very possible, you just have to maximize your odds. this is objectively a temporary problem unless you actively make it so it isn't one.

>having to sell my labour to survive
i mean yeah granted but if you get down to like even a subatomic level everything has to expend energy and do work to exist, nothing just "is". this is an example of something that is actually inherent
>>
>>16843426
If I have to suffer to remain alive, then life is inherently suffering, and therefore not worth living.
>>
>>16843443
>if i have to suffer to be alive life is inherently suffering
they aren't mutually exclusive, fool. there are plenty of people that are alive without suffering. learn what inherent means
>>
>>16843442
I'm transgender and gay. My problem is inherent.

I don't have the drive and energy to work on myself hard enough to deserve to be loved.
>>
>If I have to suffer to remain alive, then life is inherently suffering, and therefore not worth living.

You made it sound like: "impossibility of love and having to sell your labour" were the cause of your suffering.

I'm asking you to elaborate on why these two things cause suffering for you.
>>
>>16843458
>plenty of people that are alive without suffering.
Do they work for a living?
>>
>>16842851
To be or not to be m8
>>
>>16842851
There is no reason to kill yourself unless you're patient zero for a zombie virus outbreak
>>
>>16843460
Because spending eight hours per day suffering and waiting for the eight hours to be over, and spending the next 16 trying to recover from it - and then having to start again - is not a worthwhile way to live.

Human beings are also hardwired to need love and affection, and having no means in which to have these needs fulfilled is somewhat unpleasant.
>>
>>16843462
work and suffering are not mutually exclusive
>>
>>16843478
Work is pain.
>>
>>16843416
>My problem is the inherent, pointless meaninglesness of life, which also has no purpose and which HURTS

I know how depression works anon, I once suffered from it too. After many years of battling to get out of bed every morning, I realized I needed help. It wasn't easy, I spoke to many therapists and psychologists and tried all sorts of pharmaceuticals until they started working one morning. It was a Tuesday, and I woke up, hungry. The first time I could remember waking up hungry. It was slow progress, I still felt like shit for weeks, no motivation, still had a persistent cold for almost a month. But it was progress, and now I feel I have totally overcome it.

Seek help, you can enjoy life, what you're feeling now is a chemical imbalance that can be corrected.
>>
>>16843524
>this is what privileged white people in a first world country actually believe
>>
>>16843524
i work on what i love,
i work to service all my burdens
and i'll work until this here little flatline closes the curtain
>>
>Because spending eight hours per day suffering

Not everyone who works views it the same way you do or wouldn't every single employed person you know be as suicidal as you? It's not suffering for me so am I an anomaly?

>Human beings are also hardwired to need love and affection, and having no means in which to have these needs fulfilled is somewhat unpleasant.

The “silent assumption” which often goes hand in hand with the fear of disapproval is “I cannot be a truly happy and fulfilled human being unless I am loved. True love is necessary for ultimate happiness." The demand or need for love before you can feel happy is called "dependency." Dependency means that you are unable to assume responsibility for your emotional life.
>>
>>16842851
Because pain punctuated by occasional pleasures is better than nothing/constant pain in hell.
>>
An example from psychology book I'm reading.

Sally is a thirty-three-year-old single woman who moped around her apartment evenings and weekends because she told herself, “It’s a couple’s world. Without a man I am nothing.” She came to my office attractively groomed, but her comments were bitter. She was brimming with resentment because she was sure that being loved was as crucial as the oxygen she breathed. However, she was so needy and greedy that this tended to drive people away. I suggested that she start by preparing a list of the advantages and disadvantages of believing that “without a man (or woman) I am nothing.” The disadvantages on Sally’s list were clear-cut: “(1) This belief makes me despondent since I have no lover. (2) Furthermore, it takes away any incentive I might have to do things and go places. (3) It makes me feel lazy. (4) It brings on a sense of self-pity. (5) It robs me of self-pride and confidence, and makes me envious of others and bitter. (6) Finally, it brings on self-destructive feelings and a terrible fear of being alone.” Then she listed what she thought were the advantages of believing that being loved was an absolute necessity for happiness: “(1) This belief will bring me a companion, love, and security. (2) It will give purpose to my life and a reason to live. (3) It will give me events to look forward to.”
>>
These advantages reflected Sally’s belief that telling herself she couldn’t live without a man would somehow bring a companion into her life. Were these advantages real or imaginary? Although Sally had believed for many years that she couldn’t exist without a man, this attitude still hadn’t brought a desirable mate. She admitted that making men so totally important in her life was not the magic charm that would bring one to her doorstep. She acknowledged that clinging and dependent individuals often demand so much attention from other people and appear so needy that they have great difficulty not only initially attracting people of the opposite sex but also maintaining an ongoing relationship. Sally was able to grasp the idea that people who have found happiness within themselves are usually the most desirable to members of the opposite sex and become like magnets because they are at peace and generate a sense of joy. Ironically, it is usually the dependent woman, the “man-aholic,” who ends up alone. This really isn’t so surprising. If you take the position you “need” someone else for a sense of worth, you broadcast the following: “Take me! I have no inherent worth! I can’t stand myself!” No wonder there are so few buyers! Of course, your unstated demand does not endear people to you either: “Since you’re obliged to love me, you’re rotten shit if you don't."
>>
You may cling to your dependency because of the erroneous notion that if you do achieve independence, others will see you as a rejecting person and you will end up alone. If this is your fear, you are equating dependency with warmth. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you are lonely and dependent, your anger and resentment stem from the fact that you feel deprived of the love you believe you are entitled to receive from others. This attitude drives you farther into isolation. If you are more independent, you are not obliged to be alone—you simply have the capacity to feel happy when you are alone. The more independent you are, the more secure you will be in your feelings. Furthermore, your moods will not go up and down at someone else’s mercy. After all, the amount of love that someone can feel for you is often quite unpredictable. They may not appreciate everything about you, and they may not act in an affectionate way all the time. If you are willing to learn to love yourself, you will have a far more dependable and continuous source of self-esteem.
>>
>>16842851

the fact that you are alive.
>>
>>16843597
this is literally the lamest thing ever and assumes that life has any actual worth. are you aware that there are infinite universes where you have already died? where you never existed? there are an infinite number of you that don't say dumb things on the internet, but none of it matters and everything else moves on. get a job
>>
if life where easy OP would you ever want it?
after all.
all worthwhile things are hard to obtain and a challenge upon themselves.

even if you may have not wanted it, your here now so why not see everything there is to see? feel and be as much as you can? Experience. for when you are at your deathbed you will have wished and regretted not doing enough.
>>
>>16842851
I despise death and I fear it more than anything in this world. For a single additional day of life I would do ANYTHING. I can only pity those who would cut their own life short. I don't want to die.
>>
>>16843567
I don't fear that learning to love myself will make me disgusting to other people. I just don't have the drive and energy to work on myself hard enough to deserve to be loved.

Any suggestions on how to ease the pain, or am I just supposed to live in it?

>>16843649
There is nothing worth seeing. I've seen as much as I've ever need to, I know what the pattern is, and everything I will ever see from now on are variating repetitions of the same fucking patterns.
>>
>>16844059
Yeah just kill yourself.
>>
>>16843589
I'm still waiting for the answer, though.

You know what my problem is and describe it vividly but offer no solution at all.
>>
>>16844161
I was thinking of suicide-bombing a nazi gathering but then no amount of proof otherwise could divert them from the conclusion that it was done by arabs (as white people are more prone to school shootings), and that'd just lead to more violence from the survivors.

I really can't think of anyone who would deserve to die that I could clear out neatly.
>>
>>16844194
I'm not from a place with a single uniform black population. As a matter of fact I did not see a single person today who was not white.

Or widespread gun use.

I haven't heard of a single incident of a cop shooting a civilian in my country.
>>
>>16844240
how do I do it painlessly?
>>
>>16844335
Dry dive face first off tall building onto concrete. Your CNS will be destroyed before your pain receptors can signal your also destroyed brain. The pros will clean it up so loved ones won't see pics unless they lurk /b/.
>>
>>16842867
no one asked you if you could? you said "your" self, not "my" self
>>
>>16843033
wtf you believe in reincarnation not every one does
>>
>>16842851
literally the only reason i haven't killed myself yet is the new fire emblem games
>>
>>16845044
Fire emblem is shit
>>
>>16842902
Well said
>>
im too vain to kill myself thats a goo reason.
>>
>>16845149
i would if i wasn't so scared
>>
Is there any real reason not to live?
>>
>>16845193
constant emotional, mental, and/or physical hell. For periods of 20 years or more and with no end in sight. or an end in sight that you dont want to face. stay privileged
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.