[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am obsessed and I mean obsessed with Norse Mythology, and also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: Nidhogg.jpg (42 KB, 400x334) Image search: [Google]
Nidhogg.jpg
42 KB, 400x334
I am obsessed and I mean obsessed with Norse Mythology, and also dragons, I would like to name my son to be something that exemplifies both of those things so I'm seriously considering naming my son Nidhogg. I know it's an unusual name but it is name nonetheless used in Germany and I just wanted to get /adv/'s feedback on it or if /adv/ has any better names that shout Norse/Germanic mythology and dragons?
>>
Name him Norse Dragon
>>
>>16837693
puff the magic dragon
>>
>>16837703
"Norse" is actually a cool chadly name

"Nidhogg" is the name of somebody who's going to have to bang a hooker or a fatty to lose his virginity.
>>
http://babynames.net/all/old-norse
>>
>>16837740
not if he's gay
>>
Ugh don't name your son something as stupid as Nidhogg.Norse mythology is lame and nerdy as fuck, people are gonna find it weird and he's gonna resent it
>>
>>16837693

Your son is not, like, your fucking Tumblr page. He's not a human bulletin board to advertise your personal interests. There's no guarantee that he will share your personal interests. Get yourself a dog and name it whatever you want, but when you're naming your fucking child, you should really be thinking about his future, and your OWN family heritage. Not your personal hobby.
>>
Think about the meaning of that name anon. It's not something you should want to name your son
>>
>>16839070
Don't Nidhogg sound cool though?
>>
>>16839237

No. It sounds cool to YOU. Because this is the shit YOU'RE into. Not your son. Not all the assholes your son will meet in school. Not all the assholes who will interview your son for jobs and shit.

Change your own name, or get a dog and name it Nidhogg the Dog. Don't do this shit to your kid.
>>
>thinking that naming your son is like naming your hamster

Yeah I'm sure he'll think it's badass when he gets beaten at school everyday for having a freak name.
>>
you know how nerds are sometimes named things like Aloysius and Hieronymus because their dads are egghead latin dorks?

this is like that times 10
>>
Jesus fucking christ how old are you OP?
>>
File: the ring wallpaper.png (3 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
the ring wallpaper.png
3 MB, 1366x768
>>16837693
So, are you even in a relationship? If not, this may be a little early to be picking out baby names.

If you are pregnant/ have impregnated someone, then what does she (he?) think?

Also I like the names Sigmund and Sigfried. At least there are famous popular culture icons by those names so people are generally familiar with them already.
>>
>>16839070
You take that back
>>
Name him Beowulf. Has a history, sounds cool, and isn't so fucking awful.
>>
>>16839990
no, normal people aren't into Norse mythology and op is an idiot
>>
File: 1453334971977.jpg (19 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
1453334971977.jpg
19 KB, 550x343
>>16837693

just what in the fuck is wrong with you?

why not name him a real, modern-day name of Germanic origin?

if you care about your child, you will not do this to him
>>
File: 1456194940061.jpg (3 MB, 2472x3397) Image search: [Google]
1456194940061.jpg
3 MB, 2472x3397
>>16837693
It may not be a dragon but fenris is a bad ass name
>>
>>16839243
Nidhogg is actually a german name though.
>>
>>16840097
so is adolf
>>
>>16840097
Nobody in Germany is called Nidhogg, give it up
>>
This is a repeat topic we've already seen before. Move on people.
>>
>>16840144

>This is a repeat topic we've already seen before

And the other threads that pretty much fill the entire board that are about Anon wanting to get in his Oneitis pants arent?
>>
I knew an edgy guy (in Sweden) who had the name Birk. I don't know if that was an issue for him or it being a single parent household. But he hasn't left me with good impressions exactly. It's an unusual name and some might have picked on him for it. But there's no rude jokes to be made.
>>
>>16840144
>repeat topic we've already seen before
hello sir have you heard of this thing it's sort of a new thing it's called 4chan
>>
>>16839237
>Don't Nidhogg sound cool though?
If by "cool" you mean "my son's bullies will be using squeal-like-a-pig jokes until he turns 18", then yes, I guess it sounds cool from a certain point of view. Probably not the one you were hoping for, though.

Norse mythology is awesome. I'm in a group that sings about it a lot, so I know how you feel. But don't foist your obsessions upon your son, however awesome they may be. Name him Drake if you must -George and Arthur also have draconic connections- but don't use names from cultures that neither you nor he hail from.
>>
>>16837693

Fuck you, you dumb American piece of shit. Your son will go through life being ridiculed, made fun of, beat up and ostracized. Name him something normal and not something that is in Lord of the Rings, god damn autist. People like you should be barred from having children because of how dumb you are.
>>
File: Nidhogg.jpg (63 KB, 720x658) Image search: [Google]
Nidhogg.jpg
63 KB, 720x658
>>16840142
>Nobody in Germany is called Nidhogg, give it up

Wrong

See pic.
>>
>>16840368
the fact that you can find a name in a database of baby names doesn't mean that it's in common use.
>>
>>16840368
I live in germany and never ever have I heard of someone named nidhogg.
its fucking retarded mate accept it
>>
File: Aliens.png (506 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Aliens.png
506 KB, 1024x576
>>16840159
>Birk
A character in the movie aliens is named that.
>>
>>16840375
But it is in use common or not.
>>
>>16840383
Do you have a Berlin phonebook,l if so scan through all the names and I guarantee somewhere in there there will be someone named Nidhogg, say a Nidhogg Spinoza.
>>
>tfw you come on here and everyone is talking smack about your name
>>
>>16837693
You should name your son Bahamut.
>>
just name him Hitler, all English speakers "obsessed with Norse Mythology" are white supremacists.
>>
>>16840368
>soulurge number 6
>>
>>16840523
What is a soulurge?
>>
>>16840491

Fuck off Nidhogg it's not always about you
>>
>>16837693
>it is name nonetheless used in Germany
no it is not. (im german)
>>
>>16840854
ye it is
>>
>>16837693
You could name your child something like William
and then use Nidhogg as a middle name if you must. That way, you feel satisfied without absolutely ruining his early life. by age 20, it'll be something interesting and possibly weirdly endearing in the moment it's brought up and forgotten right after
>>
If you want your kid to have the nickname "Nig-Nog" then, sure, name him that.
>>
>>16841519
Different anon, but William is a common and bland name, a name like Dragoon would be better.
>>
File: zhongdaposting.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
zhongdaposting.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>not naming your son after based chinese mythology and rotk
>not giving your son a style name when he becomes an adult
>not appealing to your eventual chinese overlords with your enthusiasm in their history and folklore

GET A LOAD OF THIS PLEB

Norse fad was over the minute people realized that the nordic people are largely pussy pushover princess cuckolds who are also autistic to the point where their women are screaming in the streets for black cock and the men can do nothing about it.

The real fad is here, with god tier China, who at least nowadays is more cutthroat capitalist than America (to the detriment of their citizens even)

if you aren't capitulating to glorious Zhongguo you may as well tell your kid to rent a cuckshed from the swedes because that's his life from now on.
>>
>>16843222
The Germanic Tribes who believed in Norse mythology decimated the almighty Romans.
>>
If you can't see why naming your kid "Nidhogg" is a stupid fucking idea, you should probably not have kids.
>>
>>16837693
As a German I can tell you that 100% noone in Germany would call their child Nidhogg. Even here you can get punched in your face for having that name, duh.

I'm so done with your pretentious American shit.
>>
>>16837693
How about you name him something that will actually help him in life?

Its like black people who name their kids "Heaven" or "Classi"

Then they wonder why they never get a job interview and get off the first rung of the socioeconomic ladder.
>>
>>16843891
How do you know OP is not Britbong?
>>
>>16837693
Please OP give him a normal name. Your child isn't a toy to do with as you please, it's a human being who will face consequences for the decisions you've made for it. Don't be selfish, having a child isn't about you and your kid is going to be brutally tormented by his fellows with a faggy name. Brutally.

>guy with a shit name
>>
>>16837693
Germanfag here. Don't give your child that name. Stick to German names. Like Leif, Erik, maybe Siegfried (there you even have some relation to dragons) or Sören (for unusual umlauts to make his life easier in USA or GB :-)
>>
>>16840404
I don't think so. No Nidhogg listet in the Berlin phonebook. Pic related.
>>
Ragnarok would be gr8, it means something like 'the end of the world'
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.