[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I seek meaning in existence and life. And I'm an atheist.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_nhe3n929vs1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg (349 KB, 1280x1104) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhe3n929vs1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg
349 KB, 1280x1104
I seek meaning in existence and life. And I'm an atheist.

This leads to a lot of depression and stress, because I seek honesty, truth and purity. These things lead me to want a pure relationship that leads to romantic feelings and a life partnership.
And I can't find that partially because YOLOSWAG culture or whatever normies do.

General insults or advice is helpful to know what I should do.
>>
Step one, read Prometheus Rising. Step two, always bring your towel. Step three, Hail Kek! I love you OP, we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>16828194
Online dating (not PoF or tindr)? With profiles, you can get a feel for women's personality before you invest time into them. Be warned, online dating is a losing battle right from the start for men.
>>
Seeking meaning is a sure-fire way to fail.
Humanity creates it's own meaning for everything including it's own reason for being. Craft your own and stick to it until the day you die.
>>
there is no meaning in existence and life, OP.
try to actually talk to people, some of those YOLOSWAG can be pretty cool.
>>
File: INTP.jpg (45 KB, 480x154) Image search: [Google]
INTP.jpg
45 KB, 480x154
Look up INTP for MBTI, look at Jung theory, and socionomics
>>
>>16828194
>atheist
>seek meaning in existece and life
are you sure you are an atheist?
>>
>>16828194

most atheists are well, atheists, so they dont believe in some meaning in existence. otherwise they'd be more agnostic.

what msot atheists do believe when they work thier way past the initial 'IM SO SMART CUZ I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD' stuff is existentialism.

the core concept of existentialism (and it varies based on who you ask) is that the universe (and by extension, life) is inherently meaningless. We are humans who have the ability to 'choose' and therefore, making choices give our lives meaning. We can't always control the situations we find ourselves in, but even in the worst of scenarios we do have SOME sort of choice, even if only a bad one. its those choices that define us and give our lives meaning. when we act as if we have no choice, our lives become meaningless and we simply become objects or tools that a higher power (the god you dont believe in) uses to carry out his own convoluted plans.

as for meaning and purity, you wont find that in a relationship. yoloswag culture did not ruin marriage. it did not ruin partnership. partnership has never been the fairytale people act like it is, and the fact that many atheists still act like that life long partnership that is 'pure' exists is rather silly.

in some cases two people can force themselves to stay together their entire lives. but it is far from pure. relationships are largely a struggle after the first two years. people are meant to grow and learn from each other, and then move on when they need to grow and learn in different ways.

you love your parents, but you can't stay with them forever. same goes for your girlfriend.
>>
>>16828226
I'm somewhere between agnosticism and atheism, I don't know if there is anything out there but I don't think there is.

Humans need to create their own meaning and live for it.
>>
>>16828233
>most atheists are well, atheists, so they dont believe in some meaning in existence.

Nothing about atheism implies a lack of meaningful existence. It's just a view that lacks a theistic god.
>>
>>16828251

its a rejection of deities, sure, but what that boils down to is the rejection of a specific creator. being atheist implies that we just 'happened'. and if we are circumstance, then there is no original intention, and no 'meaning'.

therefore the only 'meaning' we can find is if we decide to say the word meaning can be applied to something.

TL;DR everything i said in my first post. just replace 'some meaning' with 'some inherent meaning'.
>>
>>16828259

Nothing about atheism speaks off the primordial origin of the universe. Atheism just simply means you don't have a belief in god. Everything beyond that is just personal opinion and stances beyond atheism.

A baby is an atheist since by default the idea of god doesn't exist yet. But it doesn't mean the baby knows that there is "inherent" meaning to things yet.
>>
File: 1452195729062.png (727 KB, 1105x1012) Image search: [Google]
1452195729062.png
727 KB, 1105x1012
>>16828375

huh. guess there is no correlation between atheism and intelligence after all.
>>
>>16828194

>I seek meaning in existence and life. And I'm an atheist

fellow atheist here. There is none. If you're hoping one day where you'll just "get it" or "understand", you won't.

you have to make your own meaning and give your own life it's own flavor.

if you're letting what other people do in their own time away from you effect your life, you have to quit being a baby and broaden your horizons.

nobody who uses the term "normies" or "normalfag" is well traveled or in touch. SO go outside of your comfort zone
>>
>>16828397
The only correlation between atheism and "intelligence" is when you're not born into atheistic family.

But it doesn't have to be atheism, you don't even have to switching faith. The point is you choose it yourself, which means, you are thinking.
>>
File: 1447389849437.jpg (75 KB, 1167x740) Image search: [Google]
1447389849437.jpg
75 KB, 1167x740
>>16828194
There is no meaning. You only exist to reproduce. The only alternative is to pick a random religion and worship some sky daddy for your remaining time on earth and in return you'll worship him forever in heaven. Which quite frankly sounds far more boring than believing there are no gods.
>>
Stop seeking it my guy, humans have been seeking meaning for thousands of years and we're still no closer to finding it. But just because life is meaningless doesn't mean it has no value.
>>
>>16828407
It does effect my life.
I'm aware this sounds frighteningly close to /r9k/ but I assure you I've remained as scientific and objective as I possibly can and placed the doubt on my own interpretation. It seriously makes it hard to make friends and to find romantic partners.

If I want to find someone who's focused more on an intellectual relationship where time is spent together, waiting for sex until we're ready and comfortable with potentially spending our lives together, without believing in fairy tales, along with all the other preferences I have- nearly 100% of them being rare- I might as well be looking for a unicorn.

YOLOSWAG culture is filled with intentional poisoning through alcohol of the very supercomputers that drove us to the moon and created Christopher Nolan's films and Hans Zimmer's OSTs. I don't see how any person who wants to poison their still developing brain is a desirable partner.

As for friends, it's partially my fault, but regardless is a barrier towards people in my area.

Against all of what it seems to be, christianity seems to be fairly prevalent on 4chan.
>>
>>16828210
There's already servers devoted to storing EVERYTHING for us, and I'm about 96% certain I'm on some watch lists. I had anti-vaxxer parents, have workmates who are all truthers (and kunda am myself), and in a bad year of anxiety I full on believed in Da Loominaty Konspirasy Teries. And I go on 4chan and have limited friends and some mental problems.

I don't want to make their data mining any easier by online dating sites.
>>
>>16828512
You come off as very pretentious, I don't mean to be accusatory, but maybe you should try to be more open-minded? Since you're a human being, judging people as scientificly and objectively as you possibly can, isn't very objective.
>>
>>16828512
>YOLOSWAG culture is filled with intentional poisoning through alcohol of the very supercomputers that drove us to the moon and created Christopher Nolan's films and Hans Zimmer's OSTs. I don't see how any person who wants to poison their still developing brain is a desirable partner.

because alcohol isn't a poison. Some (if not a grand majority) of the worlds greatest minds, drank, did drugs or what have you.

From your posts, you sound like you are your very own worst enemy. You have unreasonably high standards and are aware of it, but refuse to even leave your ivory tower because, from the sounds of it, feel you're better than most people.

I can assure you, you're not. You just have a very limited world view.

Stop focusing and pining for the ideal. Accept people and yourself aren't perfect
>>
>>16828524
FUCK YOU OP STOP WHINGING LIKE A PARANOID SPINELESS BUFFOON AND GO READ PROMETHEUS RISING AHHHHH
>>
>>16828194
Try to look into Zen OP. It teaches nothing, it will not lead you to something yet it is everything, yet still nothing. You can't describe it, especially not with words, because words are one of the sources of your pain. You have to dig deep, yet the truth is right before you although you can't see it. Zen won't give you meaning because meaning is illusion, what zen offers is life itself without all this misleading concepts that are the reason for all our pain.
>>
>>16828531
Accurate and helpful.

I'll about this. Thank you anon
>>
>>16828194
>I seek meaning in existence and life
>And I'm an atheist
Then if you're being honest with yourself, you'll have to acknowledge that according to your current understanding of existence, there is no objective meaning and all meaning you think you see is merely subjective delusions.
>>
There are multiple ways of looking at life. People claim to know what life's all about. With Christianity, we're all sinners and will burn in Hell unless we follow a strict path. With Christianity, everything is going along as planned, which can be comforting to some and disturbing to others. With no religion, there's no plan, which has the same effects on people.

I don't claim to know the answers. I don't know what happens after death. All I know is what I would like to happen, and that's all I can really lean on
>>
>>16828561
fucking zen faggots ripping off everything from Taoism.
get killed. praise the glorious tao
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.