[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I afford nyc as an early 20s nobody with no skills if I live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 900x675
Can I afford nyc as an early 20s nobody with no skills if I live in an illegal sublet in the ghetto?
>>
considering there are already plenty of 20 yr olds in new york... i think that kind of a stupid question. why do you want to live in new york OP?
>>
>if I live in an illegal sublet in the ghetto?

you're planning on doing this because WHY?
>>
>>16822585
It's better than the Midwest
>>
>>16822583
also where are you living now?
>>
>>16822592
WHY
>living cost will be super high
>job oppurtunities will be super low
i think youve been watching too many movies..
>>
>>16822615
If you don't know why nyc is better than a cheap rural shit hole I can't explain anything
>>
>>16822619
>>16822569
min. wage in new york is $9
min wage in toronto is $11.25
you can find almost anything you find in new york, in toronto
>>
>>16822569
Get off 4chan Ceaser . Text a zero in the group if yes
>>
>>16822619
>idk where your from yet dumbass
>>
It's you, isn't it?

That fucking faggot who posted 3+ threads already saying he wants to live the ghetto lifestyle.

McFuckingkillyourself
>>
>>16822624
I'm not legally allowed in Canada plus there's no subway or ocean so
>>
>>16822644
kids say the darndest things
>>
>>16822644
you come on here with a stupid fucking idea expecting everyone to be like YEAH OP GO FOR IT
>stupidest fucking idea ive heard all day
>no job oppurtunities
>tons of poverty
>super low min wage which is what youll be getting if you have NO SKILLS
why would you ever put yourself into that situation
>>
>>16822644
>still dont know where your from like wtf is wrong with your head
>>
I say go for it. Also, be sure to burn all the bridges with your past life. Tell your parents to suck it and all your friends to fuck off.

Then you can experience the greatness of newyork. You'll be able to walk everywhere, which is great because you won't be able to afford anything else. You can enjoy the awful sewer smells, violent homeless, and everyone being a rude asshole.

And remember, no matter how hard you try, they will call you a redneck hillbilly for being from the midwest. A "flyover" state
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (90 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
90 KB, 1440x1080
>>
>>16822665
Well nyc has more jobs than any rural area I've ever seen but okay
>>
>>16822705
what city do you live in OP?
>>
For you OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92s-MPAQBCU
>>
>>16822705
why do you think all those niggers sell crack? why do you think there are so many housing projects? because its super easy to get a half decent paying job?
>>
>>16822724
How the hell is it hard to wait tables or be a bartender? They sell crack because they don't want jobs even though rent is 500 a month for them
>>
>>16822665

New Yorker here, have you never been here or did you just go to literally all the wrong places?

However OP, as people have told you, I love NYC, but if you've got nothing there for you, no friends, no family, nothing to fall back on should this fail this is not a sound course of action. Plan first then go somewhere.
>>
>>16822745
I don't have any of those things in any major city and that's the only place I want to live

Midsize cities and small towns give me really bad anxiety
>>
>>16822741
i never said it was hard to do. if you compare job oppurtunities in new york to that of say... texas. texas is easilly better. it has relatively low job oppurtunities
>>
>>16822569
new york has a higher unemployment rate than dallas, san fransisco, houston, denver, north dakota etc. it has a high unemployment rate. do you think that means its easy to get a job?
>>
>>16822644
There is a subway in Toronto
>>
>>16822765
fargo, iowa city, odessa
>>
>>16822779
not only a subway but A FUCKING SKYTRAIN
>>
>>16822751
How the fuck is a midsize city any different from a large one?
>>
>>16822790
There's no millionaires

>>16822765
It has more jobs too so it's easier for the average person as long as you aren't a hillbilly freak
>>
>>16822819
There's around 100,000 people in my town. I'd consider it midsize. Plenty of millionaires. It has a small town feel. I'm only 25 minutes from the city which has a couple million.

Only idiots live in the city. Traffic is terrible. Public transportation sucks. Everything is more expensive. Don't be an idiot and just learn to commute.
>>
>>16822819
So lack of millionaires gives you anxiety?

Well you'll be pleased to know that there are millionaires in every city, not just NYC.
>>
>>16822844
The small town feel is shit for retards
>>
>>16822615
>job oppurtunities will be super low
that's wrong there are tons of jobs here in new york

only problem is you have to work 2 if you want to have a place to sleep
>>
>>16822848
>citycucks

Let's pay more for less and have more crime, worse air, less freedom, and more niggers. Because I don't know, it's the city! Buildings and concrete! Shit in the streets! It smells bad and I like it!
>>
>>16822848
Hope you enjoy niggers and/or hipsters then, because I sure as hell don't.

It's almost the weekend too. I think I'll enjoy my big ass yard. Maybe BBQ and relax outside with a cold beer. Feels good brah.
>>
>>16822855
How is that paying more for less?
>>
File: A FUCKING DUCK.png (32 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
A FUCKING DUCK.png
32 KB, 1152x648
>>16822624
what now?
>>
>>16822857
I don't care about your opinions I just want to know how to live there I've had enough of beers and meat in backyards with fresh air it sickens me
>>
>>16822855
>less freedom
u wot m8?
>>
OP, NY is infamous for homeless bums. You ever wonder how those people got there? They didn't start out that way. Go ahead and move, you'll find out.
>>
New York is an overrated shithole.
>>
>>16822859
My house is literally 1/3 the price of a house of the same square footage in the city plus I have an acre of land as opposed to a 10x10 for a yard.
>>
>>16822865
Do you get to walk around with a gun? I do. I have seven personally and I'm allowed to kill anyone who fucks with me. In new york the only thing you can do is provide your anal rapist a condom if he wants it. Otherwise, have fun never getting a handgun permit and living somewhere that isn't stand your ground.
>>
>>16822876
Ok but you spend all day inside so you're not living life
>>
File: Stephen-Baldwin.jpg (86 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
Stephen-Baldwin.jpg
86 KB, 600x471
>>16822881
>>
>>16822864
You're just a garbage person then. Cities are fucking cesspools anyway.
>>
>>16822894
I fucking despise crowds and lines. I could never live in a dense city. Everyone walks far too slowly and gets in my way. I'd rather just leave a restaurant and go to another one than wait in a line.

>>16822881
this guys logic is that his place fucking blows so he has to leave his shithole and walk around in crowds of dirty people to not lose his mind
>>
>>16822881
lol during the week yeah sure because I wake up at 6 AM for work so I don't like to do much plus I'm pretty tired after getting home, cooking, winding down, then exercising. So you got me there... You know that thing called work. It's what people with skills do to earn a living. Sorry to burst your bubble but it tends to take up a good share of the week.

I go out on the weekends ya dumbass.
>>
>>16822909
The black people in section 8 have more fun than you
>>
>>16822878
I live in new york and I have a cc permit. Regrettably I was only able to get it because I'm a cop, it is one of the few things I really hate about this state. Ive been working to get NY changed to shall issue but its a struggle, it really frustrates me how much guns have been rolled into culture wars bullshit so its thought of as a liberal/conservative thing rather than a freedom issue.

I've found the best way to convince people here is to say the only way you can get a cc permit is be a cop, retired cop, or a millionaire who can argue you need to protect yourself from would be kidnapper. When I ask people why a millionaire has more of a right to protect themselves than they do it tends to change their mind on the subject.

Give me time though, I'm working on it. Anyway atleast we don't have to jump through hoops with abortion and we're pretty good on social services for the homeless and addicts. Except for isolated pockets crime is way down. The homicide rate is 1/7 what it was in 1995. Things aren't so bad here I think the hate for big cities from people like you is a bit overblown.
>>
>>16822928
Smoking crack and shooting dice?
>>
>>16822930
>talking shit about shooting dice
fuck you its fun
>>
>>16822930
That and smoking weed and drinking and spending all day walking around the city with a large group of friends
>>
File: asks for advice.jpg (58 KB, 585x327) Image search: [Google]
asks for advice.jpg
58 KB, 585x327
>>
OP dont do it, I grew up in the suburbs right outside the city, I was very familiar with it and decided to go live there when I was 19
I moved out by the time I was 20 and 60k in the hole

its a miserable soul crushing place with no opportunities
>>
>>16822929
I hate city cuck mentality.
>somebody please protect me, I'm a pussy and I can't do it myself
>it's alright citizen, just hand in your guns and we'll protect you from the lawbreakers who apparently followed the law to hand in theirs as well because that's what lawbreakers do
>oh thank you officer, I feel so much safer being completely helpless and relying on you. It's a good thing no police force or government has ever abused their power in the course of history.
>>
>>16822955
whereabouts in the suburbs?
>>
>>16822928
>implying niggers can afford to have fun
>>
>>16822961
did you even read my post?
>>
>>16822963
nassau
>>
>>16822965
the reason they're in section 8 is because they don't give a fuck and spend all their money on fun

honestly I can't say I blame them, giving a fuck is overrated
>>
>>16822967
Yeah, you said they give you the run around when you try to get a handgun and the only reason you were able to was that you used to be a cop.

I have to move to LA and I'm fucking dredding living in a criminals utopia.
>>
is /adv/ entirely troll threads now?

Every fucking thread I've read is just some purposely acting like a retard and ignoring all logic, and generally comes attached with some generic story.

All this thread is missing is "so me and my gf had a fight and she fucked some other dude that same night what do I do?"
>>
>>16822974
>Mfw God Emperor Trump makes them get jobs

no more gibz me dats 4 u
>>
>>16822984
>supporting a literal meme candidate
>>
>>16822987
I like his tax plan. Giving me zero income tax will allow me to pay my way through school with no need for a gibz me dat
>>
>>16822993
don't even bother, the trump opposition doesn't know anything about his platform, they just don't like him because of who he is.
really democrats should be all over his dick with his tax code proposition, that and he's even pulling fedora support by telling the pope to eat a dick.
>>
>>16822977
ah ok, I thought you were attacking me directly

yeah it is frustrating, and what's worse a lot of this shit is because the police department specifically asked for it, like we can't trust civilians with guns, its always bothered me.

Btw be aware that LA is easily the homeless capital of america by a massive margin, I know you're used to carrying everywhere but honestly you don't really need it as much as you think if you just use your head and stay out of dangerous situations. Don't listen to music when you're walking out on the street so you don't get distracted, always be looking a few blocks ahead so you don't accidentally walk onto a corner where a drug deal or something is going down, never walk through alleys at night, try to walk with a friend whenever you can, don't make eye contact with tough guys, and the biggest one is if you don't like the way things look just turn around and find another way.
>>
>>16822860
>thinks the CDN dollar will continue being that low
>>
>>16822982
>implying millennials can't into logic
>aren't borderline retarded
>can't into reasoning and criticism
>>
>>16823006
minimum wage in new york is being increased to 15 dollars by the end of next year
>>
>>16823017
unemployment rate in new york is being increased you say?
>>
>>16823017
How far does that $15 go though?

You realize that when wages go up so do products to compensate for higher wages...
>>
>>16823025
>>16823030
minimum wage was already drastically increased in san francisco, the sky didn't fall
>>
>>16823005
Dude, I'm going to be living in the this is my car and that is your car state of mind. Problem is I'm going into screenwriting and am trying to make it in stand up so I'll be in a lot of scuzzy places. I have a 18 round 9mm that I keep hollow points in. But I don't know the laws there, I think they restrict mag capacity to 10 or something retarded like that. Dude, it's like 8 hours to a Phoenix gun show and lawbreakers can buy however large they want. These people are retarded.
>>
an increase in minimum wage doesn't lift more people above the poverty line, it lifts the poverty line to include more people who weren't there before
my $15 is a pretty decent wage right now, if the minimum gets raised I don't get a raise too, now I'm just poor
>>
>>16823035
if you want to make a point about beneficial economic policies, don't use california as your example
>>
>>16823035
The cost of living there is actually extremely high, much higher than LA or SD.
>>
>>16823042
one third of non minimum wages increase with each increase in minimum wage, just make sure yours does when your union negotiates your next contract
>>
>>16823055
>union
>supporting organized crime
>>
>>16823035
I never implied it would cause drastic problems but it does come with inherent issues that it's proponents seem to not be aware of at all.

Increasing the minimum wage really isn't that good for the economy.
>>
>>16823057
ok then, enjoy your at will employment and not getting an automatic wage increase pegged to the rise in minimum wage
>>
>>16823063
the purchasing power of the current minimum wage is far below what it was in 1970, do you think that's a good thing?
>>
>>16823071
Who makes minimum wage?
>>
>>16823064
I wish I could enjoy at will employment, my dad sure couldn't
when he lost his job the union forced him to stay unemployed for 9 months because there were people ahead of him who had been unemployed for longer
he had to take out of his retirement to support the family and will have to work past retirement age to make up for it

unions are scum
>>
>>16823071
so you're one of those people that thinks the answer to a devalued dollar is to just throw more dollars at it?
>>
>>16823076
if it hadn't been for the union he never would have been hired back at all, they just would have hired someone new that they could pay an entry level rate

>>16823082
ok then, what's the solution to loss of purchasing power due to stagnated wages?
>>
>>16823092
>what's the solution
Get a better job?
Live within your means?
Not be a retard?
>>
>>16823100
what hollow answers
>>
>>16823092
>if it hadn't been for the union he never would have been hired back at all
actually no, when he took it upon himself to find another job somewhere else (with better pay mind you) the union made him quit and gave his job to someone else
unions only help union bosses and organized crime, not the worker.
>>16823092
>what's the solution to loss of purchasing power due to stagnated wages?
>due to stagnated wages
there's your problem, your premise is flawed to begin with so there is no answer to your question.
loss of purchasing power is because the dollar is weaker, not because wages are low
wages wouldn't be considered low if the dollar had purchasing power
you are putting the cart before the horse
>>
>>16823109
>Not be retarded

That one applies to you.
>>
>>16823110
the dollar is stronger than its been in many years, wtf are you talking about? Stop using terms you don't understand.
>>
>>16823115
>wtf are you talking about?
that in 1934 the price of apples was $.10 a pound, and today they are $1.44 a pound
the dollar has less buying power, period, end of story. Low wages aren't the problem its the shitty US economy that's the problem
>>
>>16823134
Jesus Christ as an economist you are the most retarded person ever. Please just move to New York and fucking shut up about things you don't know shit about.

Stop mouth breathing you darwin award winning asshole. There are 50 things wrong with your argument and the logic behind it.
>>
>>16822569
I like how out of towners and tourist believe New York to be glamorous and every place looks like Time Square. If you don't have the money or skill, this city is not for you. It will eat you alive. Im born and raised here in NYC, it sucks if you are me, poor fag with no job and useful skills other than certain creative things. Only the elitist hipsters and yuppies believe this place is chic, know why? Because they got the money. Yeah theres a corner store on mostly every block. You can go downstairs from your shitty apartment that you pay far out the ass for to buy a soda right at the same block, but damn is it fucking hard to move up. Dont come unless you have a legit plan and are willing to start from the ground up. Public transportation is corrupted and people are not friendly because they got more than problems. You are going to encounter some of the most ghettofied people here. I'm telling you as a New Yorker myself, dont do it.
>>
>>16823326
I live in a poor rural area and all the section 8 blacks come here and have way more money than us
>>
>>16822569
try Chicago first. People there are nicer than New Yorkers.

Or if you the best bang for your buck, try some midwestern or northern cities such as
Cincinnati, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Louisville, Madison, Fargo, Duluth, Iowa City, and Pittsburgh.

Source: I am an economic development urban planner.
>>
>>16823057
people like you who didn't support the unions ruined american industry and ruined what it means to be a hard working person with a sense of community in the workplace.

You ruined everything
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.