[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Grass Is Always Greener
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: a6bb49e3bc9089b6.jpg (34 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
a6bb49e3bc9089b6.jpg
34 KB, 620x349
I'm 30 years old and have a wonderful career that most people would kill for as Director of Marketing/Advertising. Make over $100k per year after bonuses.

I live in one of the most affluent zip codes in America. I literally have nothing to complain about.

Lately though, I have been thinking about quitting my job and getting a job as a welder, machinist, or electrician... anything other than sitting at a fucking desk all day, looking at fucking spreadsheets and data tables. So fucking boring.

I want a job where there is some majestic landscape at my back while I build infrastructure with the breeze on my face.

Grass is always greener. I just feel its already too late to change my career path and start completely over.
>>
Laborer here. You can make good money in a trade job and the exercise is nice, but I think the magic of the outdoors and such will fade for you in time. I've had back issues from the strain since my mid 20s, too. I still say follow your dream.

I'm actually desperately searching for a decent desk job at this point. Your firm hiring?
>>
You do realize that those electricians etc dream of sitting at a fucking desk all day right? Most of us are like this, never satisfied, always wishing for something else.

Not like your life is perfect, I get it, desks jobs suck, but then again all jobs suck if you don't have a passion for them. And usually the passion also dies in time. Still, if your job makes you unhappy you should quit it and try doing whatever you like. But I'd save some money before doing that if I were you. This "it's too late to do it" is just an excuse, maybe unless you want to be a professional athlete or something.
>>
>>16821191
You just gave me a great idea for a reality TV show where people "switch" jobs. Actually money has literally nothing to do with it. Its just, sitting in a 10x15 office 8 hours a day and thinking to yourself, "Is this what life is?".

>>16821194
Yes, I am sure they do. Hence, why the grass is always greener.
>>
I'm a data analyst - good at it but I feel exactly the same as you OP.
that's why I'm taking another degree in the evenings in Geology. Using my paid leave for the field trips.

I used to work in construction Then went into full office work. Now I want a balance of using mind and body - I'm betting I'm much older than you. I have no kids and my wife supports me so what is there to lose.

Love being up in the mountains or other terrains analysing structures and collecting rock samples.
>>
>>16821211
Glad you know what I am talking about. The insult to injury is the office "happy birthday" shit. Traffic to and from. Concrete and fake landscaping. Soccer Moms in SUVs who can't drive... it goes on and on and on.

How do you get into explosives for clearing highways? Now THAT would be a job.
>>
>>16821171
I'm almost 30 and only now looking at getting my first real job, part time hopefully. Went to college but never knew what more specifically in career and other things to go. I dunno if it's completely hopeless that I'll never have a real career but seeing stories like yours, I have to wonder if it really is better that I didn't have a real plan.
>>
>>16821220
I think what I did was do what other people dictated as what you should be doing.

Having a plan is subjective and based on your situation. If you have children (which I do not) then my salary, health insurance, and benefits would be very ideal because the children are your life and NOT the job.

For me however, the job is my life.

I think I could have said that better... but the point remains the same. You need to do whats best for you and your situation.
>>
>>16821171
>100k a year
>Most affluent zip codes
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha you're small time, kid. Small fucking time.
>>
>>16821234
Yeah I guess because I didn't have that much to worry about when it comes to expense , like moving on back home and just doing odd small things, never a real taxing job, put me in a comfort zone too. I mean it doesn't help that I'm dealing with anxiety issues but I do have an interview tomorrow. First time I ever have had one. Feels so lame though that no matter what this is such a late time for me to be having these kind of firsts. I mean that's always gonna stick with me.
>>
>>16821208
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about us switching jobs, too. Do you have a fulfilling private life? Weird as it seems, my degree is in philosophy but I've only ever worked with my hands. Books are my passion outside of work and I think of that bibliophile lifestyle as my real, authentic life. Work is just a necessary activity to fund my private life, you know?

Anyway, the money is becoming a real concern for me because I'm not able to build a comfortable savings account. Been tough trying to get a desk job with little office experience or relevant references. I have the research skills to learn how to perform any job proficiently, but it feels difficult to convince these HR reps of that in a cover letter. Gotta keep at it. Good luck on your own journey, man.
>>
>>16821171

Do it, sounds like you dun goofed.

My wife is a registered nurse for a Kaiser and she makes $63/hr with the night differential, she makes more than you while working 36 hours a week. The most hilarious part is that although she has her MS now she only had an associate degree when she started and was making about $90k.

>>16821243

Also, this. Sorry to burst your bubble but you couldn't afford to live anywhere affluent, unless you were totally housepoor. If that is the case then I can understand why you're miserable, working just to pay your bills.
>>
>>16821262
I didn't post to compare dick sizes or bank accounts and not miserable for any reason relating to either of those things. Furthermore, no wife/kids/debt makes it quite an easy financial situation. I am quite humble for what I have. How much of your budget goes to interest on those school loans? I am not worried about my future finances nor "where I live"... no one gives a fuck (Actually, my post was to express how much I DONT give a fuck)
>>
>>16821262
>RN

Never met one who didn't fucking hate it and their life with a passion. What a shit job, and I've been working in hospitals for over 20 years.
>>
>>16821290
>Not worried about where you live
>Brags about where you live
Oh wow you're a special case aren't you?
>>
>>16821292
I always find it funny and ironic seeing the circle of nurses sucking down cigarettes behind a hospital.

Whats the turnover rate for hospital employees?
>>
>>16821290

Lol... what student loans? We both went to a community college and transferred to state schools. Nice attempt at trying to brag on 4chan about what you think is a lot of money then play it off when you get called on it though.

Seriously though, I stated her finances to emphasize that there are ways to live VERY comfortably without dedicating your life to work.

>>16821292

Yeah, there are plenty of people who somehow heard about how much nurses make and powered their way through school only to be miserable. Those are the people who shouldn't be nurses.

The bright side is that if you don't want to deal with the responsibility of keeping someone alive you can transfer to med/surg and get paid $100k/yr to stare at telemetry monitors for 36 hours a week. People who stay in the CCU do that because they want to be there, they just feel better complaining about how hard it is.
>>
>>>>16821171
Sounds as if you already know your thinking is irrational. What more can we convince you of? All that remains is for you to abstain from taking any action in passion, and you will be ok. I leave you with this excerpt from Epictetus:

In every affair consider what precedes and follows, and then undertake it. Otherwise you will begin with spirit; but not having thought of the consequences, when some of them appear you will shamefully desist. "I would conquer at the Olympic games." But consider what precedes and follows, and then, if it is for your advantage, engage in the affair. You must conform to rules, submit to a diet, refrain from dainties; exercise your body, whether you choose it or not, at a stated hour, in heat and cold; you must drink no cold water, nor sometimes even wine. In a word, you must give yourself up to your master, as to a physician. Then, in the combat, you may be thrown into a ditch, dislocate your arm, turn your ankle, swallow dust, be whipped, and, after all, lose the victory. When you have evaluated all this, if your inclination still holds, then go to war. Otherwise, take notice, you will behave like children who sometimes play like wrestlers, sometimes gladiators, sometimes blow a trumpet, and sometimes act a tragedy when they have seen and admired these shows. Thus you too will be at one time a wrestler, at another a gladiator, now a philosopher, then an orator; but with your whole soul, nothing at all. Like an ape, you mimic all you see, and one thing after another is sure to please you, but is out of favor as soon as it becomes familiar. For you have never entered upon anything considerately, nor after having viewed the whole matter on all sides, or made any scrutiny into it, but rashly, and with a cold inclination. Thus some, when they have seen a philosopher and heard a man speaking like Euphrates, have a mind to be philosophers too. Consider first, man, what the matter is, and what your own nature is able to bear.
>>
>>16821171
Save some money first, and don't be surprised if you have to end up moving into a smaller home because of how much less money you are making.

The other option could be just doing some of this stuff for fun. Renovate a part of your house or something like that, and that way you get your fill and your $100k salary.
>>
Back from my workout and I see the sperg OP abandoned his thread.
>>
>>16821640
He's too busy living in his exclusive highly affluent neighborhood or going to his 100k a year job. :^)
>>
>>16821644

Too bad faggots like this on /adv/ just disappear into the crowd. I actually enjoy dismantling people who make shit up here and aren't smart enough to lie well and recover.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.