[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you beat the setback that comes with having a gap on your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1450507102232.jpg (210 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450507102232.jpg
210 KB, 640x480
How do you beat the setback that comes with having a gap on your resume?
>>
>>16813264
Depending on what kind of work you do, you can just claim you were self-employed.

Otherwise, if you have a reasonable explanation, it's not really that big of a deal.
>>
Say that you were working with a family member for a time, doing freelance work, stuff like that that you wouldn't be able to create a reference for.
>>
Depends on why you weren't working.
>>
Takin care of family problems, traveling, in education. What is the real reason tho OP? Just pick something close
>>
>>16813264
How big is the gap? Are we talking months or years?
>>
>>16813264
It doesn't really matter what the reason is as long as you speak it with conviction. If it sounds like you're making an excuse then everyone will know it's an excuse. If I tell you that it was to take care of my elderly grandmother since my parents were unwilling to do so, would you believe me? Spoilers: all of my grandparents died years ago.
>>
What if you're in your mid-late 20s and never had a job?

This past year I've been taking care of my dad since he had a stroke which I've somehow been managing pretty well. Lately as he gets more independent I've been going to the gym which has helped a lot with finding an outlet for stress, as well as having a routine and some goals, feels good having personal time but spending it doing something better than shitposting and fapping all day.

Up to that point though I've done fuck all with myself, dropped out of college a few years back, now apart from gym and taking care of my dad I dabble in programming, currently learning C.

Right now I just want any job I can get, the extra income would be nice and frankly I want to not be a fucking manchild anymore but I'm so worried I won't be able to get anything for lack of employment history or anything really resume worthy.

Where would I begin?
>>
>>16814331
entry level or an apprenticeship program
>>
>>16814331
As this anon says >>16814345 applying for entry level or internships or apprenticeships would be a good start. You will also want to start networking and, at the very least, find a mentor. LinkedIn is a great place for this. Just join some professional groups and ask questions and join in the conversation. You'd be surprised what kind of leads you'll get that way. Just, whatever you do, don't spam the group.

If you find your lack of employment/experience is keeping you from landing anything, consider freelancing and skilled volunteering. Both of these are things you can put on your resume, but don't expect to get much (or any) income out of these options.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.