[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Really struggling with my studies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: anxiety.jpg (27 KB, 507x337) Image search: [Google]
anxiety.jpg
27 KB, 507x337
I'm in my second term of my programming course and I'm already starting to struggle. First term we just learned basic stuff on Java and that was easy. However, this term, while we're still learning Java and it's still really easy, we also starting learning c/c++ and I'm struggling so much more with it.

I know it's supposed to be a harder language to learn, but it seems like every assignment we get I get stuck and need help like ten billion times. I feel like I'm not picking the content up as quickly as I should be and it has be really scared because what if I just... don't get it.

This has got me feeling really anxious about my program, and about my future in general. Please help.
>>
>>16811085

Not sure why you're having issues if you're doing the same stuff with a different language.

Are you sure you haven't moved on to more advanced concepts?
>>
Practice more. A lot of kids in these programs have a lot of coding background. Also the Internet is your best friend
>I'm 2 years into my computer engineering degree
>>
>>16811220
I guess that's all I can do, still, it gets crazy discouraging when I see so many other kids in my program have such an easy time with everything.
>>
Don't be discouraged by c/c++, sure you might struggle in the start (I'm assuming pointers might be the rough patch you're at now), but it's simply about practice. Find a way to make practice fun, so you can get some experience which isn't the grey boring matter the standard course demands. I suggest finding a small programming project.
>>
>>16811246
Yeah, pointers is a big thing right now.

Also we get lots of practice through assignments our teachers give us. My current frustration comes from being stuck on one right now.
>>
The one thing to remember is chances are half the class is having a lot of the same issues you are.

The kids in your class you see breezing through everything more than likely already have experience programming.
>>
File: Kristen-Stewart.jpg (109 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
Kristen-Stewart.jpg
109 KB, 500x600
>>16811240
>tfw normies can't even figure out positional arguments

I love programming
>>
If you don't have a knack for programming, I recommend changing majors.
>>
>>16811266
I don't

I enjoy seeing people struggle with basic logic
>>
>>16811266
Could it really be I'm just incapable of thinking in a way that's proficient for programming?
>>
>>16811252
Pointers and references are always a bitch. I was suggesting some programming in addition to the exercises which I assume are mandatory. When you get past that rough patch programming tends to become more rewarding.

Learning c is a lifelong project, the doors it opens are countless.
^not exaggerating.
>>
>>16811275
I seriously doubt you're incapable, keep going at it from more than one side, Khan academy, books, lectures, friends, teachers. At one point it will click.
>>
>>16811293
I have a buddy whose been working in the field for 5 or so years now, he says that real world programming is an absolute joke compared to in class programming, he also said that he didn't really even fully understand everything until he started working.

I feel a lot better now, thanks.
>>
>>16811303
I believe your friend is right. Best of luck!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.