[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Major Life Changes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: shutterstock_52561231.jpg (613 KB, 1000x802) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_52561231.jpg
613 KB, 1000x802
>be me, young and inexperienced
>easy job, little money, less friends, live with parents for free on east coast
>lifeisdecent.png
>get call from family friend on west coast
>new job offer in major city
>free apartment, better pay than current job
>basically a janitor/mailman/maintenance for a semi-large apartment building
>replacing someone who's been doing this for 25 years, while I have no training or experience
>always on call, pretty much the whipping boy for the people who live there
>only paid for 30 hrs/week but am really working 24/7
>minimum requirement of employment = 1 year
>never lived solo, barely know how to do laundry/cook/clean
>take the major change and stress that comes with it, or stay safe and keep my life where I am
>what do /adv/?
>>
>>16810054
Take it. How is this even a question?
>>
>>16810054
>take the major change and stress that comes with it
Yes, because whatever decision you will make you are still going to feel stress during your future. Might as well do it now if it's inevitable, learn and grow. Be productive anon. Think positive.
>>
>>16810060
Actually don't take it. Would be very easy to get stuck in that situation
>>
>>16810054

free apartment on top of 30 hours of pay is pretty fucking amazing.

the only question is do you know how to do maintenance? our land lady doesn't. shes hired as the manager but shes basically a secretary with a free apartment. whenever something doesn't work she just calls a separate maintenance man to go do the work. seems like a cushy gig.

other than that maintenance aspect, it seems great. id take it. at the very least its 1 new year of adventure for you. you need your phone on all the time but you can still go out and have fun.
>>
>>16810165
I do not know how to do maintenance. They said I would have 1 day of training and that's it. There is no separate maintenance man for me to call, just me.
>>
>>16810204

lmfao yeah, why are they offering you this job? i mean fuck... its easy to fix little things like pipes under the sink and such, but yeah, ur just setting yourself up for failure here. what would they do if you cant fix something?

this isnt horrible for renting a single house but a building full of poeple are gonna do stupid shit like pour grease down the drain
>>
>>16810054
>>16810054
>always on call
>only paid for 30 hrs/week
>minimum requirement of employment = 1 year

Huge red flags. Nope.
>>
>>16810212
I was offered the job because the guy who's been doing it for 25 years is leaving withing the next few days and the need someone ASAP. My family friend chose me for some reason and now I gotta give him my answer by tomorrow. I'm willing to learn and will probably figure it out eventually, but I'm afraid of fucking it up too much.
>>
>>16810290

thats the thing is if you've never done actual maintenance, you are fucked. you wont just learn as you go along. there is a reason that being a maintenance man is more of a trade than a job.
>>
>>16810297
From what I hear my day to day job is cleaning up hallways and trash disposal and stuff like that. Maintenance is part of it, but it's not a day to day deal.
Do you think that not knowing that part of it is a deal breaker, or if it's something that I can learn and then do when the time comes?
>>
>>16810310

i literally just said 'you wont just learn as you go along'

literally. right there. and then you asked if its something you can learn as you go along.

if a heater breaks down, you will not know how to fix it. if a sink is clogged, you wont know what to do if its more than just below the sink. if a garbage disposal just stops working, you wont know what to do. when the roof starts leaking, you wont know what to do. one day will not give you the knowledge, and there is no way you will learn this while going along without ruining so much of the property in the process.

trust me i know it sucks, a new start with a free place and 30 hours a week of pay is LEGIT. but unless he can make some concessions on maintenance you are fucked
>>
>>16810316
First, thanks for the advice
Second, I'm not THAT bad at fixing things. I have unclogged sinks (with clogs both under the sink and in the wall with a cable auger) and garbage disposals.
But you are right that I've never had to fix certain things.
Thanks for the perspective.
>>
>>16810377

your best bet is to talk to him about these particular issues. mention that you dont have experience with some of the bigger issues, and gauge his reaction. he might dismiss you outright. in which case, fine. your goal is to only take the job if there is some way to get through the maintenance.

he might offer an actual maintenance man for the legit stuff. who knows. talk to him about your concerns and see whatsup.
>>
>>16810387
I will definitely talk to him about it. If you could hire a maintenance man to do the larger tasks, would you take the job?
>>
>>16810410

yes. cuz then basically ur being paid to be a janitor and collect rents and chill. its a free place to live and 30 hours a week. way better than what i got going on now, thats for sure.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.