[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I kill the materialist in me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Avoiding_reality.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Avoiding_reality.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
My family is poor and I'm going to free community college. I live in my room at home and commute an hour to CC. I have a constant intense feeling, sorta like a craving yo
>have my own room in the town I study
>to have my own laptop that works
>to have privacy
>to have nice things
I try to fight it because my intelligent part of the brain knows that the only thing people need to succeed are paper, pen, bed, book. But I can't, help me.
>>
>>16809463
none of that sounds extreme. I think most people want privacy. As for the rest, its not that big of a deal unless you let it be.
>>
>>16809463

It's not a problem to want those things as long as you don't let it consume you.

A working laptop is an extremely important and useful tool of you want to get what in today's world and it can potentially save you money. Instead of paying for Internet at home, you can use wifi somewhere else and/or tether off your phone. You can also do serious work on a relatively inexpensive laptop.

Almost all of the things you talked about (except privacy) are easily achieved with any sort of part time job.
>>
>>16809483
I work part time as a waiter on weekends and earn around 30 euros a week, 35 if there's a good night.

It's like I'm useless. I can't work full time because there are some things at college I can't miss.
>>
>>16809486
most people only work part time while in college. BUT, 30 euros a week doesn't sound like a lot of money. Maybe look for a job that pays a bit better?
>>
>>16809491
Trust me, I'm lucky to get that much.

I'm in eastern Europe.
>>
I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. Never had a room myself (having your bed, work-desk, shelf etc. in the living room) made me kind of devoid of feeling when it comes to personal privacy.

But like you said, all I need is my bed, computer (college work) and a place for my books and clothes. The only disadvantage is that I can't take women with me to home..

I mean imagine taking your gf to your (living) room and your parents either are in their bed room and literally hearing every fucking move you are doing or want to take some stuff they left in your room (because it's the fucking living room). This is something that drives me the most insane. Also you can't have a relaxed phone-call or skype-conversation with your buddies because of the swear-words and noise level (and don't get me fucking started when it's after 10PM).

The worst part is that your parents will still blame your "no gf" or "speaking problems" on you because you don't need to have luxury to have a gf or that don't need to hide everything when having a phone-conversation (because I have to mumble).

So yeah, I share your feelings Anon.
>>
>>16810286
Oh and to answer your question:

There is no need to kill this "materialistic feeling" as it's the driving force that will make us not dependent on people (in this case our parents).

Maybe you interpret this feeling another way, but the day I loose this feeling, I'll become a full blown NEET.
>>
File: 1444862626704.jpg (20 KB, 228x227) Image search: [Google]
1444862626704.jpg
20 KB, 228x227
>>16810286
holy fuck this is exactly the same shit happening with me
>>
>>16809463

dont kill it. the materialist is whats going to get you through this. these arent things you can have now... but they are the reason you need to do good. do good and you'll not have your own room, but your own house. not your own laptop, but your own office. not your own privacy, but your own security. not just nice things, but the ability to purchase them whenever you wish.

keep this in your head OP. suppressing is okay. but killing is not.

as for how, its a willpower thing. but one thing that helps is to count what you are grateful for.
>>
>>16810332
I realise this.

Then I sit down to study and ask myself "Wouldn't it be easier to just kill myself? It's not like I'll matter anyway."

I can't get it out of my head.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.