[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the idea of "finding a job you enjoy" just a myth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: sunrise.jpg (137 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
sunrise.jpg
137 KB, 500x332
As my parents said, "Nobody goes to work because they enjoy it. They have to go to work though as they have bills to pay. How many people actually enjoy working at McDonalds? If they got to leave, they would all leave."

I guess most people who disagree with me are probably minors who have never been to work and are romanticising a certain job too much or adults who are new to a job so the excitement still hasn't worn off and they haven't had enough time to learn about the workplace politics that already exists.

I had a retail job and it was terrible. My parents said, "See? Now you know that going to work is not fun".
>>
Your parents were wrong. There are lots of jobs people leap out of bed to accomplish. Find yours.

And everybody's jumpin
>>
Everyone knows retail is terrible.

Not all jobs are terrible. Most people would prefer to lead a life of leisure, sure, but that doesn't mean they're actively miserable when they go to work. At the same time, there are many people who are miserable and feel useless and bored as shit if they're out of work (I don't fucking get it and I think they probably just need to read a fucking book now and then, but they exist). And some people who actively adore their jobs, but those tend to be the kind of people who make their career their entire life.
>>
>>16805276
>lots of jobs
Kek seems legit
>>16805299
A lot of jobs are terrible. There is no such thing as "a job that is fun".
>>
>>16805237
Work has it's ups and downs. You just have to find a job you're passionate about. I am in the Navy now and it sucks. The only good things I find about this job are the ports, ComRel, and meeting a lot of different people. Is this enough to keep me in? Nope. I am a family guy and I want to be there for them. Before the Navy I was caught up with drugs and alcohol. A few family and friends died from over dosing. 1 friend just got into an alcohol related vehicle accident last year.

What I want to do now is become a Drug and Alcohol counselor. I know the job will have its ups and downs, but it will be something I really want to do, what I feel comfortable with doing for the rest of my life. Work isn't always going to be fun, but don't make it a drag, either.
>>
>>16805334
>There is no such thing as "a job that is fun".

You're retarded.
>>
>>16805357
Are you any better? Prove it. You just made a statement with no evidence supporting it. I bet you are just a minor who has never been to work.
>>
>>16805414

I'm just about to return to a job I dislike, actually, but that doesn't change the fact that it's fucking retarded to state that there is not one single human being on this planet who enjoys their job, even if you personally would never enjoy any job.
>>
>>16805448
These people who like working are the minority so for everyone else "finding a job you enjoy" is just a myth.
>>
It feels a bit more enjoyable when you're making a lot of money

Then it kinda feels as if it's important
>>
I absolutely love my job and never want to retire, but I'm pretty sure that's the exception and not the rule.

Are there rough days? Sure, it's a job after all...but for the most part I wouldn't let it go for anything.

The sweet spot is usually a combination of:

-Working with great people

-Pay being decent

-Tasks are varied and ever-changing.

I'm a game developer so the people I work with are mostly gamers so we get along very well, the money is good and I end up making different games every year so it keeps things fresh.

The downside is sometimes there's crunch time but that's business for you, it's no dealbreaker.
>>
>>16805463

Well duh.
>>
>>16805414
Bitch, you bet wrong

get ready, cuz we're comin thru
>>
Guys, stop replying to career Brandon. It's the only way to make him go away.
>>
>>16805414
I worked at Ace Hardware when I was 16-18. Shit was cash.
>Manager leaves radio on at service counter with earpiece out
>Coworkers talking shit over radio like always
>"shut up faggot, you like black dick"
>Old ass lady heard
>Asks for manager
>I find radio, turn it off
> "one of your employees left a radio on..."
>color drains from his face
>"and they were using profanity"
>"really?"
>"and pardon my French"
>looks manager in the eyes
>me and cashier are trying to contain our sides
>so is manager
>"but they were talking about"
>oh lord christ no
>"Black"
>Manager trying not to laugh in the most uncomfortable situation in his life
>"Dick"
>>
>>16805504
See? "Finding a job you enjoy" is just a myth.
>>16805549
I bet you are a minor or some NEET who never had a job and hence you believe in this bullshit that work can be fun.
>>
There's some bastards in here, comin to kibosh the good-shit wagon
>>
>>16805702
He's probably sick of you posting the same shit every day.
>>
>>16805709
I don't post here every day
>>
>>16805237
Well, working at mcdonalds or in a shit retail position does suck, but those aren't careers. There's a difference between working part time while in university, and taking a position you'll probably be in for the next 10 years.
>>
>>16805237
I know a couple of women who enjoy work because they can consistently get the guys there to do all of their work for them.
>>
>>16805713
All jobs have their own stressful aspects. Why the fuck would someone want to do a PhD in Anthropology, Maths, or something similar when they can just major in Law, Engineering or something else? Research is not fun - it is either publish or perish.
>>
99% of jobs people don't "enjoy" the job but there are people who in the end of the day feel satisfied in themselves and their work. They put some passion into what they do and appreciate the tasks they have at hand. obviously working drains your energy but there is a difference in working in a job you hate and working in a job you like.

People set goals, like certain careers, once they achieve a position in their career they feel motivated and want to strive more, compared to working in a pointless retail job.

In the end there is no MTYH, just take the saying with a grain of salt because jobs don't generally give you "enjoyment"
>>
>>16805725
>jobs don't generally give you "enjoyment"
See? Working is not meant to be fun.
>>
>>16805719
>Why the fuck would someone want to do a PhD in Anthropology, Maths, or something similar when they can just major in Law, Engineering or something else?
Because some people really enjoy those fields? If you take a position doing what you enjoy then working doesn't seem so terrible.
>>
It's a balance.
My brother loves to play the guitar, so he became a music teacher at a posh private school.
My sister wanted to become a nurse, so she became a traveling ER nurse (they make way more than regular nurses).

Choose something you love that can also support you financially.
>>
File: 1311023073098.jpg (9 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1311023073098.jpg
9 KB, 251x251
>>16805237
I'm a manager for a pot farm. It's great - I live in a beautiful place, am paid well, and enjoy my day to day work for the most part. There are days the whole thing seems surreal and amazing and I've been doing it for years now.

On the other hand even with a job I feel great about there're days when it just feels like too many hours of too much work. That's an aspect of any job, but some are vastly better than others.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2166x2107) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2166x2107
>>16805767
Hey fellow MMJ grower! Where are you located?
>>
Airline pilot here
Your parents are wrong (no disrespect)

My parents were teachers. They would come home every night after a 12 hour day, with a shit tonne of homework to mark and just hated the job. They taught me to pursue a job that I would look forward to doing, without actually saying that to me

I love my job. No such thing as a monday feeling for me.
>>
>>16805781
CA, central coast
>>
>>16805237
I hated retail. I'd never work retail by choice.

But I'm 23 and in college. I also work as an instructional assistant for disabled children. I absolutely love my job. There are occasional stressful days, but I still wake up in the morning wanting to go to work.
>>
>>16805781
>Hey fellow MMJ grower! Where are you located?
DEA pls go
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>16805792
I'm in Colorado, in the Rockies.
How long have you been in the biz? We're going on 13 years.
>>
OP, we have talked this topic to death. Please stop posting this question; you've asked it dozens of times over the past few months. You get basically the same answers every time.

>Is the idea of "finding a job you enjoy" just a myth?
No. There ARE two big myths surrounding it, but the importance of finding a job tou enjoy is real.

The first big myth is that if you do this, "you will never work a day in your life". No matter how much you enjpy the work itself, there will always be dumb logistical crap that you don't like: even artists have to take some time away from their art to do things like selling it. And even if this were by some miracle not the case, there would still be the occasional bad day. Despite this, although you cannot completely escape workplace stress, you CAN minimize it, and this makes it important to enjpy what you do.

The other big myth is that it's a good idea to make your work and your hobby the same thing. The problem with this is that when you fall into the trap of doing only one thing, burnout is the inevitable outcome. No amount of passion will stave this off, because burnout is not a failure of passion: it's a natural reaction to monotony. You need to have strong interests outside of work as well as in it, and ideally they should be as different as possible: that way, each can recharge you for the others. This is how you keep from burning out.

The big thing about this second one is that you have to make time in your life for your outside-work interests, and this is not always easy. This is where passion can really help you, but in a way that horrifies the follow-your-passion zealots: leave your passion OUTSIDE the workplace, and make your job the thing you love second-most. You have no choice to make time for your job, but you will also make time for your passion. You might not make time for anything else, and so if they're the same thing, you get trapped in a monotone. This is death.
>>
>>16805702
I'm in my 30s, with two degrees, and a highly specialized and well paid job. Like the other poster said, I'm tired of you posting this same stupid shit almost every day. You are not looking for advice. You ignore every wise piece of advice you get.

Brandon was like that, except it was about his looks. He was mentally ill. Just like you.
>>
>>16805857
Someone should just copy down a few of the most reasonable answers and then copypasta them each time OP is spotted.
>>
>>16805237
No it's not. While jobs may not be leisurely at all, you can derive enjoyment from them. A drive to learn, to serve others and know that you're doing a great service can make a job very fulfilling.

It's about your outlook, mostly. Having people who think like that surround you also helps, a toxic environment is one that anybody will have trouble thriving in.
>>
>>16805237
You're parents are largely right, but they're also wrong. There are lots of people that enjoy their jobs, but there are probably more that don't. Your parents are wrong and stupid to make you think all jobs are drudgery. This pretty much sets you up for disappointment or at worst, failure.

Saged for repeat thread. I even see a few identical posts in it.
>>
>>16805237
An OK job can be made hell by a bad manager and a bad job can be made tolerable by a good manager, so it doesn't just have to do with the job itself. Your manager, coworkers, and workplace culture can have a big affect on job satisfaction.
>>
>>16806061
His parents are wrong about the employability of certain fields. He still thinks hard sciences like physics and chemistry will make you unemployed and are comparable to music studies or humanities. Because his not-very-smart parents taught him that.
>>
>>16805237
It goes like this:
>BAD JOB + LOW PAY = SHIT JOB
>BAD JOB + HIGH PAY = OK JOB
>GOOD JOB + LOW PAY = OK JOB
>GOOD JOB + HIGH PAY = DREAM JOB
>>
>>16805911
You have to remember to sage the thread if you're going to do that.
>>
>>16805237
Hi 19.5 yo here I don't know if my beliefs count cause I won't start working until I will be 21-22 anyway I believe that job are not something you can enjoy(well you need to get up early and shit)but I believe that you can find a job you can have a passion doing and that's what you should aim to get,I am aiming for a job that I will put my life on this line for the sake of other people(ffl,fire fighter,police officer)
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.