[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/, is it retarded to pursue dual degrees? I have a large
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1452994907545.jpg (28 KB, 425x329) Image search: [Google]
1452994907545.jpg
28 KB, 425x329
/adv/, is it retarded to pursue dual degrees?

I have a large enough interest in both Mech.Eng and Astronomy/astrophysics that I don't want to limit either to a minor - I'd like to study both of them + CS minor at UPenn.

pic unrelated
>>
Apply for a double major and then see how you like it. If the workload becomes too much, or you start to lose interest, then you can switch one to a minor without losing time/money invested into it. Good luck!
>>
>>16803000
Double major isn't the same a double degree though, as double majors result in one degree.
>>
>>16802987
If it was like, economics and a language, or CS and mathematics (which is plenty challenging, yeah, but at least has no lab component) I'd be all for it, but if you major in mechanical engineering AND astrophysics AND a CS minor I don't expect you'll be getting much sleep for the next forever.

I mean, go for it if you want, dude, just realize you're biting off an awful lot.
>>
Only ever get a degree in what will give you a job, not what is interesting to you. If you're not seriously planning to work for a space exploration agency, don't bother majoring in astronomy
>>
>>16802987
I have quad degrees
>>
>>16803099
... what? You don't have to work at NASA with an astronomy/astrophysics degree, most probably go into research-oriented positions in academia. There's also a LOT of crossover with the CS skillset; it's not a useless degree if you want to jump into the private sector, though you probably won't end up working with actual astronomy.
>>
>>16803097
I'm used to 3-5 hours of sleep per day, European high school.

>>16803099
I AM seriously planning to work for a space exploration agency, at least that's what I want.
Either that or opening my own car workshop would be my dream job.
>>
Astronomy, sure. Astrophysics, probably too much.
>>
>>16803226
It's Physics and Astronomy with a concentration in Astrophysics.
>>
>>16803086
Depends on the school, my school has seperate degrees.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.