[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>majoring in Japanese (going to graduate in December) >really,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1455152312385.gif (989 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1455152312385.gif
989 KB, 500x341
>majoring in Japanese (going to graduate in December)
>really, really enjoy it, but it has dawned on me that I will probably not be able to get a job with it because
>poor auditory processing, on top of that subpar hearing
>poor lateral thinking, affects translating (I think too literally for it)
>don't want to go to Japan because that would mean sacrificing drugs and pirating media
>plus am autistic so being in a radically different environment like that would likely be too jarring
>I feel like I have a slight chance at working hard at improving my translation skills so I can get a job at least online translating JP to ENG

So basically, useless degree. On top of that, I'm not suitable for hard labor because I have shitty genes and my hands are messed up because of video games (I need surgery or work is impossible, I can't use my hands for more than an hour or so at a time).

What do? I don't need much in life, just drugs and my rig. I'm just anxious about employment, though luckily my family is fairly wealthy so I have a decent safety net. What moves do you suggest I make to secure just above poverty employment given my circumstances ($~25,000/yr)?
>>
>>16799542
Where are you from? It really depends on that
>>
>>16799542
god how can someone fuck up so much.
I'm inclined to say you're actually just a lazy bitch and is lying to yourself, trying to convince yourself you wouldn't get a job.
Anyway, or you translate or you teach.

You can also kill yourself.
>>
File: 1435726457097.jpg (117 KB, 420x563) Image search: [Google]
1435726457097.jpg
117 KB, 420x563
>>16799548
The U.S.
>>16799550
Well, I've been taking classes for 4 years now, and I can say with absolute certainty that listening is my weakest point. I have trouble parsing even English words. Additionally, while I can understand anime at an acceptable level, spoken Japanese in live-action movies or real-life conversations are difficult for me because I drop and mishear words all the time.

I've considered teaching, however my lacking listening ability would likely interfere with it, but I'm willing to give that option a shake.

I can kill myself, and I have considered. I don't cling onto my current center of consciousness too much given the negatives in my life. I always have the option of using my credit card to purchase a handgun and ending my consciousness instantaneously if things seem incorrigibly bad. Things aren't quite there yet, though, but it is definitely a card I will play given the appropriate circumstances.
>>
bumperino capuchino
>>
Just become an administrative assistant/secretary.

Good pay, good job security,good benefits, and do little to nothing all day except some light data entry and office work.

It usually requires nothing more than a bachelor degree in a liberal arts discipline like a language or literature, and some proficiency with office software.
>>
>>16799938

The other bonus to this is that you can likely listen to music on headphones all day and few people will bother you.

This is what most people who major in linguistics/english literature/foreign languages end up doing career-wise, anyway.

It is not a bad job, by any means, and over time you can connect yourself with a company or organization you have an interest in.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.