[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm miserable at my current university; I have no friends,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1434167082109.jpg (20 KB, 320x177) Image search: [Google]
1434167082109.jpg
20 KB, 320x177
I'm miserable at my current university; I have no friends, I spend days not eating and sleeping all day, I'm miserable, and I'm doing terrible in school because of it (3.1 GPA, 4 and soon to be 5 withdraws within 2 years). I haven't been suicidal since I was 20, but now I'm there again.

I live 2 hours away from my friends, and my best two are moving into the city near where they live. I live in the middle of nowhere in my college town, and that's one of the things I hate... I want to be in the city so bad and it's all I've wanted for a long time. I could move out with them and potentially transfer to the university in that city... and I wouldn't even lose many credits at all... if any, really.

Should I pull one of them aside and ask them about moving out with them? Or should I stick it out here and try my best to complete my degree? I am fairly certain that I can achieve a higher GPA at this new institution.
>>
>>16798467
My situation is much like yours...... try to see if one of your friends would ablige you.... and whatever u do do not get gf she will ruin your plan to leave the uni
>>
>>16798467

I'm on the same boat, but I'm enjoying t more now. Since I have no friends, I have more time to correct my GPA. I have a 2.4, although it should jump up to a bit over 3.0 after this semester if all goes well. 3.1 sounds fine, you're looking at it too grim.
Here are the important things:
>you're still in your major
>you have a nice place to sleep, shower, eat and study

You sound stressed is all. Seek counseling. It can always be worse.
>>
>>16798556

It's worse than you think; someone who is merely stressed out does not spend multiple days not even eating and just laying in bed.

I also grew up poor with no money, and had a miserable childhood with abusive parents. College was going to be my chance, but I've fucked it all up. I was lucky enough to find someone who is gracious enough to mentor me and basically handed me a good life on a silver platter... something I've always wanted. That person is a VP at a hedge fund and wants to help me get into the business.

A 3.1 GPA will NEVER cut it in finance, ever. I could potentially transfer to this new school and get a high institutional GPA, but my GPA is always going to hover around 3.1, as I have 130 credits of 180 already.

So, yeah... I'm stressed out and angry at myself also because I am destroying my opportunity to get something most people out of college would do anything to get even a chance at.
>>
>>16798467
I'd transfer. It's going to be much much harder to do what you need to without any friends.
>>
>>16798467
Suck it up
Make new friends at networking events
Dropping out is the equivalent of life suicide, and you'll literally be in massive debt for absolutely nothing
>>
>>16798666

>finance

Okay. Now you're just being silly. It's not over, and you're still in college. Plus your major really isn't one of the more difficult ones. If you can bring your GPA to ~3.5, you'll be fine. Even if you don't, ~3.0 is still fine. But again, your major isn't hard, so you should just be able to relax, and cruise through.
>>
>>16798683

>life suicide

This is a bit silly. This is a terrible way to look at life. "I need this degree or it's all over" is a sure way to live a miserable life. Plus, it just makes college feel like you're walking on a tightrope over lava.
>>
>>16798724
You made this decision bub
Your choices are
>Be $100k in debt with a degree you can pay it off with
>Be $100k in debt labeled as a dropout and no education beyond high school
Good luck if you choose the latter
>>
>>16798467
Wherever you move, you'll still be you when you get there.

Do what you want, but don't expect magical changes.
>>
>>16798756

I guess I don't understand that feel, because I never had to take out a loan or pay with my own money, but my point was that getting a degree isn't everything. Sometimes it leads people to the completely wrong career path.
>>
Well my opinion is to get out of your situation as fast as possible. Don't you have counselors or any kind of therapists? All you need is one or two meetings.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.