[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 22 and going back to school for a career change, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 43747726.jpg (138 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
43747726.jpg
138 KB, 500x366
I'm 22 and going back to school for a career change, how do I make friends without coming off as creepy or weird?

I've always been the outcast who was picked on for one reason or another and I don't want that to happen this time. I'm very shy and have trouble with social anxiety but I just want some friends I can talk to and laugh with and be normal with, how do people make such close friends?

Anxiety forums have taught me about social dynamics and from what I understand the more friends you have the easier it is to make more friends.. but how do you start when you're so late to the party?
>>
Find other outcasts and talk to them.
>>
>>16798455
stop giving a fuck about people and they'll flock to you.
there's a subtle thing when you don't put in any effort everyone else starts to try harder yea it's kind of fucked up but hey at least now you're on your path to active manipulation as opposed to the passive manipulation that people do in their daily lives.
>>
>>16798485
Worst advice ever.
>>
>>16798455
Professor writing here.

You won't be alone. Every university has a lot (as much as 50%) of "older" students, anywhere from your age to their 40s. You'll spot each other as not being 18 and will gravitate toward each other. Let that happen. (The uni might actually have a dean of older students, special counselors, a lounge, etc.)
>>
>>16798762
This works, but not all the time.
>>
>>16798762
Only works if you're attractive and charming. If you're a little weird or unattractive, you'll be on your way to being a hermit.
>>
>>16798762
when i say stop giving a fuck i mean don't think about people, think about other shit that helps you. maybe you have something you like doing focus on getting better at that could be anything really, then the obvious, have good posture, find out how to get more money, groom yourself to look better.
to get better at socializing you just have to do it don't read too much theory it'll make you a weird social robot. perhaps get a temp sales job something where you have to interact with people.
>>
>>16798880
i disagree. it's all about disposition.
even if you're ugly as shit if you carry yourself pleasantly people will naturally want to be around you because everyone has some form of social anxiety really. most people mute it by sticking in a pack so they don't have to worry about being seen as weird. if you can conquer it then you can start really living your life.
it's about getting rid of irrational fears that present no actual harm to yourself. meditation or some form of mindfulness is pretty important.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.