[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: oI7fc.jpg (37 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
oI7fc.jpg
37 KB, 500x333
Would it be possible to design a virtual reality helmet that directly connects to the brain allowing us to actually experience a game as if it were real? And if it is possible what would i have to research to make it a reality?
>>
>>16797284
It sure would. Look into fmri and a way to change the electrical impulses in the brain. You're going to need a lot of money and talent.
>>
>>16797284
OP, that's what we are living right now so of course it's possible. The question is how many layers deep are we?
>>
>>16797284
Probably something to do with helping quadriplegics. I mean in order to "jack into" the brain you'll basically have to read or intercept the signals in the spinal cord, or something. From what I understand this is pretty much what they are trying to do with the gimps.
>>
>>16797307
Even if i dont make it i would like to leave research behind to help develop it.
>>
>>16797284
They're working on bits and pieces of that right now, but for far more important things than gaming - virtual eyes for the blind, and the like.

If you want to get into that study a mix of biology, medicine and computers. But aim higher than game helmets.
>>
>>16797284
>Virtual Delusion

overrated~ that shit gay
>>
>>16798079
Kek, games are the endgame man. Mass appeal is the goal. It's just only blind and gimped people are desperate enough to let nerds experiment on them.
>>
I dunno, what I like about games is that I have full control over them and they aren't real. I don't want to experience someone gutting me with a knife or shooting me in a lung or anything painful and traumatic like that. Which would be easy to make someone experience with VR.
>>
>>16797388
>Even if i dont make it i would like to leave research behind to help develop it.
There is still plenty of research to do before something like this becomes possible. Neuroscience is probably the biggest: we still don't know, for example, how to project images into a person's mind.
>>
>>16798221
It's the "connects directly to the brain" part that bothers me. It would be too easy for someone to attempt to control my mind or hurt me in order to control me if they had direct access like that. I don't trust it.
>>
>>16798108
>mass appeal
>unsafe shit potentially dangerous to a lethal level you have no real control over as it literally invades you where you are most vulnerable

Pick one.
>>
>>16798221
obviously it wont be like that idiot
>>
>>16798241
This is why I'd prefer to see the VR interface done as a helmet, or maybe something lighter-weight like a hairnet, instead of a headjack. If you ever decide that something untoward is going on, you just take the hairnet off, and no traces remain. Totally reversible.
>>
The whole purpose of VR is to instill enough "presence" into the experience to make it seem realistic. I doubt you'd have to conduct neurosurgery to do this. The trickiest thing IMO about developing VR is the fact it only engages the sense of sight and hearing. You don't really "feel" or anything or smell, taste etc which pretty much undermines the reason most NEET KHVs are going to use it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.